Fleeing Mechanics?

Jan 16, 2020 4:55 am
I'm working on a game, and would like to know if there are any mechanics you know of for fleeing combat. Most RPGs I know really don't really encourage escaping combat as a viable playstyle. I'm thinking that most likely I would find a mechanic for escaping combat in a horror game, where prolonged combat is often not encouraged.
Jan 16, 2020 5:06 am
Hmm, I think the solution to this would depend largely on the game system/engine in question. ^_^

For Powered By The Apocalypse, this might be as simple as:

When you flee an encounter or threat, roll + whatever stat applies. On a [high roll], you flee successfully. On a [medium roll], you flee, but something else untoward happens - maybe you drop something, maybe you walk into a trap. On a [failed roll], you're stuck and the threat becomes even more threatening, even more dangerous.
Jan 17, 2020 1:54 am
I have had players flee a few combats in DnD and it was pretty much straight forward -- they just ran as fast as they could while being hotly pursued... of course the few times it happened they were able to flee the encounters for one reason or another -- but fleeing an encounter may require someone making that ultimate heroic sacrifice -- it all kind of depends on how you as the GM want to run it and/or what the specific encounter just happened to be
Last edited January 17, 2020 1:55 am
Jan 17, 2020 2:20 am
CoC is often just escaping combat. You can run on your turn as your action - nothing more complicated than that. No attacks of opportunity or anything in that system.

Anyone who knows me on the site knows I’m huge on Delta Green. I think it handles combat pretty brilliantly for a horror game. It’s relatively simple and absolutely brutal, so combat is rarely prolonged. Similarly, fleeing is just fleeing - you run as your action.

Now, if you’re asking more about a chase/pursuit situation - CoC has a pretty elaborate chase system in the newest edition as well.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.