The Tip of the Spear

load previous
Sep 16, 2020 11:38 pm
OOC:
Perception roll was not good enough to get further details, Knuckles can only see that it is a detonator.
Sep 17, 2020 12:20 am
Slowly shaking his small head, as if clearing the fog from his head, the Sugi criminal turned his discerning and cautious gaze upon Ani who was making an attempt to calm the rapidly intensifying situation. Holding the detonator out like a weapon, Epukang's eyes shifted between the pair of Republic officers, straining in the darkness, the other arm wrapped around the whimpering Senator.

"Talk! ... talk?," the cornered infochant exclaimed nervously, "What do you want to talk about?"

Slowly he made an attempt to maneuver around the room's small table, another barrier between he and they, nervously he looked towards the door, the flashes of the battle outside the room perhaps causing indecision on how best to proceed.

"You want my guest no doubt," he stated quietly, the cadence quick, "But they would never allow it.

"No. No. Better perhaps ... to blow my warehouse. Better. Better than failure."

Out on the warehouse floor, Epukang's goons were organizing, as the alarmed and nervy shouts were now becoming confident and more commands that fearful warnings, the beams less erratic and more coordinated as the slowly began to hone in on Wals location.
OOC:
Wals will have to add a [Setback] die to his next roll for the (2) Advantage rolled by the minion group.

Wals, Knuckles, and Lucky to act.

Keep in mind that you all have Destiny to spare

Rolls

Minion Group - Ranged

2 Success, 3 Advantage, 2 Failure, 1 Threat

Total: 2 Advantage

Sep 17, 2020 12:52 am
WIP
OOC:
2 maneuver : double aim (2 strain)
Action : Autofire on minion group

Edit: Can I have a boost because I have the high ground (and/or for the darkness?)
Last edited September 17, 2020 12:54 am

Rolls

Ranged Heavy, Medium, Autofire, 2 aim

4 Success, 6 Advantage, 4 Failure, 1 Threat

Total: 5 Advantage

High ground

Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm
TheVagrant says:
OOC:
Can I have a boost because I have the high ground (and/or for the darkness?)
OOC:
[Boost] for the high ground I think is reasonable. No [Boost] for Darkness as the Minion group already is penalized by the darkness.
Sep 17, 2020 12:33 pm
Upon Ani’s comment and look Knuckles stopped but his eyes remained trained on the Sugi criminal. He steady his feet, pulled his DC15 tightly into his shoulder and slowed his breathing. For now he would let the Commander do as she is trained for but if Epukang’s finger moves more then two millimeters his would move six millimeters with three pounds of pressure.
OOC:
Maneuver: Aim
Last edited September 17, 2020 12:35 pm
Sep 17, 2020 12:56 pm
Mathfuric says:
OOC:
Maneuver: Aim
OOC:
You've mentioned that you (like myself) are still learning the system so I thought I'd point something out.

As Knuckles still would have an Action to use this Turn you could convert it to an Aim Maneuver and (assuming that Knuckles doesn't move or act before his next Turn) would receive (2) [Boost] die on his next Combat Check.

Alternatively, if you Aim, use the Action to convert to another Aim Maneuver, at the detonator or his hand holding the detonator you would add (1) [Setback] die to your roll but could potentially disarm him of the detonator.
Sep 17, 2020 1:01 pm
Seuss says:
Alternatively, if you Aim, use the Action to convert to another Aim Maneuver, at the detonator or his hand holding the detonator you would add (1) [Setback] die to your roll but could potentially disarm him of the detonator.
OOC:
Thanks Seuss this one suits Knuckles.
Sep 17, 2020 1:05 pm
OOC:
Sigh, seems the high ground his not all powerful yet in the storyline.

How many boost can I give with 5 advantages?
Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm
TheVagrant says:
OOC:
How many boost can I give with 5 advantages?
OOC:
You could provide a [Boost] to any 2 allies (including Lucky) AND a [Boost] to the next ally in the Round which in this case would be Knuckles (though it wouldn't necessary help him since he spent his Turn aiming.

Alternatively you could provide a [Boost] to any 2 allies (including Lucky) AND spend the remaining Advantage to 'Notice a single important point in the ongoing conflict'
Sep 17, 2020 1:43 pm
Seuss says:
OOC:
You could provide a [Boost] to any 2 allies (including Lucky) AND a [Boost] to the next ally in the Round which in this case would be Knuckles (though it wouldn't necessary help him since he spent his Turn aiming
OOC:
Why would an additional boost die not stack with aiming? I wasn't aware there was a stacking limit - and can't you aim twice?
Wals held on tight. The shower of blaster fire raining down around him, both the bright blue bolts from the clone trooper on the rail and the red-orange blasts were sending up showers of sparks that made him shield his eyes. He hoped everything was going better in the conference room, but the talk of bombs didn't give him much in the way of confidence.
OOC:
Going to wait to see how Knuckles' action plays out before I roll.
Last edited September 17, 2020 1:46 pm
Sep 17, 2020 1:44 pm
OOC:
How about Notice a single important point in the ongoing conflict for information about the bomb (bombs?) location
1 boost to Ani and 1 setback to the Sugi boss?

Edit: @Wals i think he meant Knuckles make no action to benefit from the boost die.
Last edited September 17, 2020 1:47 pm
Sep 17, 2020 2:02 pm
GreyGriffin says:
OOC:
Going to wait to see how Knuckles' action plays out before I roll.
OOC:
Knuckles spent his Turn on (2) Aim Maneuvers for a benefit on his next Turn the following Round (in this case he has lined up a shot on the detonator that he may or may not take next round depending on what happens with the rest of the round) and has thus acted this round so Wals is free to act his Turn as you see fit :-)
Sep 17, 2020 7:22 pm
OOC:
I can read, really.
Wals let out another hiss of breath, holding his blade out in front of him, perfectly vertical as he stood with his back to the crate. His ears twitched, finding the steady hum amidst the pops and secondary explosions of blaster fire. His brow furrowed as the blade wavered momentarily, the bright, straight pillar at its core buckling and swaying at the edges, before resolving again. He had to resist the urge to manipulate the tuning dials mid-combat.

Fingers curled around the edge of the crate he was crouched behind, and he took a deep breath. And then he launched.

Vaulting away from his cover, he somersaulted across the artificial corridor, skidding on the smooth deck plating until his foot braced on the stack of crates opposite, giving him another surface to rocket away from. He was low, crouched, glowing blade held high and behind him as he covered the distance between himself and the gunmen with startling speed. His tail flagged high for balance as his offhand grazed the floor to keep him steady and at speed, and maneuver him on and around the low obstacles that littered the floor.
OOC:
Maneuver: Close to Short Range from Medium
Maneuver (2 Strain) Engage from Short Range
Action: Attack with Lightsaber (-1 Setback from Minions drawing a bead)

Aaaand rolling...
His charge into the line was diverted by the barrel of a blaster, round and threatening. Staring directly into the weapon, he gave up what little altitude he had and threw himself into a roll. The bolt cut through his hood as he tumbled across the floor, lightsaber roaring in protest as the deadly weapon left glowing scores in the deck plating. Thrusting out with a palm, he arrested his forward motion, harnessing it to flip himself to his feet without losing momentum, now in the thick of the fray...
OOC:
Oof. Will spend that Advantage to give a boost to the next friendly player, the sounds of battle reassuring them that everything on the warehouse floor is well in hand.
Last edited September 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Rolls

Lightsaber (Brawn) vs. Gunmen (Diff. 2+0)

2 Success, 3 Advantage, 2 Failure, 2 Threat

Total: 1 Advantage

Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm
TheVagrant says:
OOC:
How about Notice a single important point in the ongoing conflict for information about the bomb (bombs?) location
OOC:
Lucky would notice a tiny blinking light that upon further inspection is a charge attached to fuel canisters on the mezzanine ... looking around the rest of the warehouse he would notice similar such devices spread around.

Sorry ... realized just now you were probably waiting on this information for your post.
Sep 18, 2020 12:43 pm
Vaulting into the thick of things, Wal engaged the gang of toughs as Lucky sprayed the warehouse floor with bright, blueish bolts from his trusty carbine and effectively encouraging the thugs to remain clustered together. Through the night vision of his helmet he caught the brief flare of light, followed by a second, that quickly resolved into a constant pattern. Upon further inspection he could see an explosive device attached to a fuel canister below the mezzanine. Knowing that the Sugi crime boss held a detonator in his hand experience told him that this was probably one of many and a quick scan of the warehouse saw the tiny flashing lights spread evenly about.
OOC:
In the interest of keeping things moving and since TheVagrant described his intentions on how to spend his Advantage I think we can move into the next Round starting with a PC slot. I think we can assume Lucky notifies everyone of what he saw.

He has stated that Lucky will provide (1) [Boost] die to Ani's next roll along with (1) Setback to Epukang's next roll.

@emsquared - After discussion I have revised things a bit so if Ani wants to take another crack at Negotiating with Epukang it would be against (2) [Challenge] die with a [Boost] die (to account for his [Setback] die I believe?)
Sep 18, 2020 2:53 pm
Lucky concentration was distracted by noticing one of the blinking light at the last moment and his generous blaster fire was more intimidating than impactful.

"Fuel cannister with blinking charge spotted under the mezzazine. More spread around the warehouse."

Lucky's mind was racing but his voice was calm and clear on the comm has he described his findings.
OOC:
Correct for the advantage and description.
Sep 18, 2020 4:26 pm
OOC:
I'm kind of fundamentally opposed to "spamming" the same skill checks in this system when nothing about the situation has changed, as it's potentially abusable ("Boost stacking"). And as a GM I generally enforce a "one skill roll = your best effort" type of approach, unless/until the situation changes. So I would feel icky just trying the same thing again here.

But I could switch to Charm, which if he is using his Cool to oppose my Negotiation (as opposed to his Negotiation) it's the same skill/DC to oppose Charm. If it's a different difficulty, please do edit my post to add the correct one.
Picking up on a small part of the panicked crime lord's rant, Ani tries to get more information, de-escalate, and establish some modicum of trust or at least commonality, "Yes, talk. And, yes, we have come for the senator. But there's a lot to talk about... Like how we can help you with them. Are they coming here, right now? There's another way out of ALL of this.

But we have to talk.
"
OOC:
For the Triumph, maybe he calls on his men to surrender? That's a lot... but maybe only one or two listen to him? Or they have to make a Fear check or something as they learn they're surrounded by explosives and their boss might blow 'em?
Last edited September 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Rolls

Charm

4 Success, 2 Advantage, 1 Triumph, 2 Failure, 2 Threat

Total: 2 Success, 1 Triumph

Sep 18, 2020 5:49 pm
emsquared says:
OOC:
But I could switch to Charm, which if he is using his Cool to oppose my Negotiation (as opposed to his Negotiation) it's the same skill/DC to oppose Charm. If it's a different difficulty, please do edit my post to add the correct one.
OOC:
Heading into a meeting and in my rush I used the Tools feature instead of the 'Add' to post roll feature so my sincere apologies ... but he did have Nobody's Fool which added a Difficulty die that rolled (1) Failure so Ani still has a Success. I think getting a Fear check for the Minion group out in the warehouse is reasonable for their boss attempting to blow, along with everything else, them up.

I hope to post after my meeting concludes if not most certainly by tonight (along with Epukang's and the Minion group's Turns).

I'm glad he still proved challenging but still had given Ani a chance :thumbsup:

Seuss
Sep 19, 2020 12:15 am
The small alien's head cocked to the side, indicating his curiosity at the young Padawan's calming words, eyes widening slightly at her questions, "No. No. No one is coming ... always watching it seems but not coming."

Large dark eyes strained to meet Ani's over the glare of her glowrod, "Perhaps when failure is known ... they will come." The detonator in his hand wavered slightly, he no longer pointing at at them like a weapon as he took a firmer grip on the frightened Representative, the legs of his spider-like conveyance widening, making small clicking sounds on the metal decking. "What is it this other way you speak of?"

The hooded figure with bright amber blade in their midst and the alarmed shouts of 'detonator' from their attackers gave the hired toughs pause, a few nervous glances exchanged, before steeling themselves against the humming cuts of their alarmingly quick assailant, their blaster fire ineffectual against the Padawan's blade.
OOC:
Both Minion Group and Epukang have moved into Guarded Stances which gives them +1 melee defense until the end of their next turn.

Wals, Lucky, and Knuckles are free to act and that will finish out the round.

Rolls

Minion Group - Fear check

1 Success, 2 Threat

Total: 1 Success, 2 Threat

Minion Group Ranged Attack - Engaged Range (set back for guarded stance)

2 Success, 1 Advantage, 2 Failure, 1 Threat

Sep 19, 2020 5:54 am
After his quick scan of the compound, Lucky continue firing at the opposed forces. He is trying the neutralize them as effectively as possible. He expertly shut down the little inside voice calculating his odds of survival if those explosive are detonated and focuses completely on his task.
OOC:
1 maneuver aim
action : Autofire attack from high ground

Edit: triumph on additional hit, dmg 9+5 (14) pierce 1 x2
Last edited September 19, 2020 5:59 am

Rolls

Autofire, medium range, high ground

6 Success, 2 Advantage, 1 Triumph, 1 Failure, 3 Threat

Total: 5 Success, 1 Threat, 1 Triumph

load next

Thread locked