Cyberpunk in Space

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 24, 2020 3:29 pm
I’ve been on and off planning a game for a while now and I think rather than delaying even more, I should just get it started already :)
In the near future, humanity discovers the secret to faster than light travel. Within a couple of years, large corporations buy and occupy most of the discovered livable or terraformable planets and, outside of the bounds of countries and laws holding them back, they grow quickly and uncontrollably.

Your characters are a group of independent mercenaries working for these corporations (think Shadowrunners). Your profession has become invaluable to the economy these days. Companies hire mercenaries for espionage, for sabotage, even for terrorism. While it might not be an easy way to earn money, it is a fast one. And one that is always in demand.
Your characters might know each other – maybe you have worked together in the past or are even an established team – or you might be meeting for the first time, gathered by an employer with an important, well-paid mission for you.
This game will be played in a homebrew system designed by CESN with some help from me. Those who have been in CESN’s horror adventure have already experienced an earlier version of the game. There have been some tweaks since then and I’m also adding a couple of houserules. The system is still in playtesting phase so some minor things might still be tweaked over the course of this adventure but most everything is in place.
All relevant rules to this game are explained in threads in the game forum and I will help with things when they come up so the rules shouldn’t be a problem.
Character Creation, which ended up a bit confusing in previous attempts to run this system, has been streamlined in this game and should be pretty easy.
I’m looking for a group of three players. With one spot already taken (by CESN), that leaves two empty spots. I want this game to move quickly so I’m expecting approximately one post per day. Skipping single days here and there is not a problem of course, but please only apply if you think you can keep up with a steady posting frequency.
I’ll keep this thread up for a while so more people get a chance to see it. If I get more applications than I have spots available, I’ll give preference to people I’ve already played with and that I know I mesh well with but I encourage everyone who’s interested to apply.
Jan 24, 2020 3:58 pm
Punking cyberly...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6bc41312a37f42c49f798191232216cd/tenor.gif?itemid=10056672

in space...
Last edited January 24, 2020 4:02 pm
Jan 24, 2020 4:01 pm
I love me some Cyberpunk. Count me in.
Jan 24, 2020 4:30 pm
I'm intrigued to see what you did with character generation. May I join you?
Jan 24, 2020 5:23 pm
@awsmack: Awesome

@Flying: Basically, I added classes instead of the freeform character creation that made so much trouble before. Just to make the playtest smoother.
I'm sending you an invite to the game now so you can have a look at the rule changes I made and everything. Since you already know the game, I'd prefer to get new eyes on it with this playtest. If nobody else applies, you're in but I would give new people priority for now and let you observe instead if you want. Hope that's alright with you :)
Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm
By the way, here's the link to the game, everybody: Click
Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm
Yeah, I figured that'd be the case. :D I'd like to observe, at least for a while. (Maybe play some support NPC, if you ever need it?) Anyway, thanks!
Jan 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Sure, that can probably be arranged
Jan 24, 2020 6:34 pm
I would give it a go, if there is still a spot open. I like the thought of play testing something new.
Jan 24, 2020 7:27 pm
Just out of curiosity, would you be willing to share the system itself?
I'm always interested in new ideas.
Jan 24, 2020 8:30 pm
@Mach: That's great. I'd love to have you.

@AstralStorm: Since it's CESN's system, I'll leave that up to him but I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending out the rules document :)
Jan 25, 2020 10:26 am
There seems to be quite the interest on this one. Bowl has some choosing to do :D

@Astralstorm, sure :) The plan is to put it on GP forums, since it was made on GP by GPers :) If you're mostly interested in quickly testing it, I'm considering recruiting some extra players for my Strange Aeons games (basically testing how the system can handle a PF adventure). I'm also chatting with bowl about the possibility of opening a shameless copy of his game, since it is so nicely organised (bah germans...), but including the completely untested "GMless" option at some point. We can accept more players that way, but you have to take a lower quality GM ;)

Just bumping this one as other interested people could join as well :D
Last edited January 25, 2020 10:27 am
Jan 25, 2020 10:47 am
Hey! I haven't played a cyberpunk game before but it sounds awesome! Count me in if you need another player!
Jan 25, 2020 1:14 pm
Any info on the system available?
Jan 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Okay, there was definitely too much interest in the game for me to accept everyone unfortunately. For now, I'm going to go with awsmack and Machiabelly as they were the first to apply. I sent you an invitation, awsmack, and I accepted your application, Mach!
I will keep all the others who applied in this thread or to the game directly in mind (made a list with your names). If someone drops, I'll contact you first to ask if you're still interested.
I've also been thinking about potentially starting a second game in the same system and setting in the near future once this one got rolling. No guarantees but if I do, I'll also reach out to everyone who expressed interest here first!

For those who have expressed interest in the system, I've made the game forums public. There is a rules subforum in there that contains all the rules. You can either follow the link in there to the main rules document or read the version we're using for this game that is explained in the forum itself (which is a bit shorter and easier).

Thanks for the interest everyone!
Jan 25, 2020 7:45 pm
Yeah, start with the game rules as the others are a bit drier :)
Jan 26, 2020 1:42 am
You made good choices for players, this was bound to be a popular game by the description. CESN, is this the system you were working on before? I'd love to hear about it if you have time!
Jan 26, 2020 11:43 am
Hi @strum, how it going? it is the same yes. It has a bit more and may feel slightly different than what you saw before :D

@windy, @strum and @astral, are you happy with observing the game (or rules) for the moment as @bowl suggested?

@Eskaton, @funfungiguy and @Keyleth, we'll test out it goes first with this one, in case it doesn't work at all :)
But either me or bowl will (in the event of success) open another one if you guys are still up to it.
Last edited January 26, 2020 11:43 am
Feb 11, 2020 7:30 pm
shamelessly using bowl's thread :D

@strum, @astral, @funfungiguy and @Keyleth, if we were to start a game on the same system, but different subject, would you still be interested? I'm still on the planning the preparation phase ;)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.