INTEREST CHECK - Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (SW)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 26, 2020 3:57 pm
https://i.postimg.cc/mrMK2rJh/55-A88602-5155-4266-BAE1-66-B129-E478-BA.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/KzTTH616/E1-F3-D414-100-C-41-D8-9-B18-0-EB1905177-D1.png

In 2020, the Earth is shaken by upheavals and disaster. Mankind retreats underground, hiding in shelters, waiting for the end, kept alive by the mechanics working on the machines. So dependent are the survivors on the mechanics that they become a cult, a religion. 450 years later, mankind emerges to find a world that should not exist, filled with animals and plants from all ages of Earth's history. A world where dinosaurs hunt sabertooth cats and pterosaurs wheel above oceans filled with trilobites.

Welcome to the Xenozoic age.

Xenozoic Tales, better knows as "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs," was comic book by Mark Schultz that premiered in the late 80s. It led to a couple of video games and an animated television series in the early 90s. Although the comic was grittier, C&D has always been a post apocalyptic pulp action setting filled with Mad Max-style vehicular combat, weird technology, ancient mysteries, and, of course, a lot of dinosaurs. I remember watching the cartoon when I was twelve years old, and it was everything my testosterone-fueled pre-teen mind could ever hope for.

Maybe due to nostalgia, I’ve been recently thinking about Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and I realized it’d make a great setting for roleplaying. There does exist a Cadillacs and Donosaurs RPG by GDW, but the game is quite crunchy and not well suited for the play-by-post format. I decided to adapt the setting to Savage Worlds. By Savage Worlds, I mean the Deluxe edition (not the new Adventure edition) since I don’t yet own that book.

So what do you say? Anyone interested in driving around in some guano-powered American muscle to fight dinosaurs and explore ancient ruins?

By the way, here’s the theme music for the animated series. It’s catchy. Don’t say I didn’t warn you...

https://youtu.be/gr2iQ96em2w

SYSTEM: Savage Worlds, Deluxe

GENRE: Post-apocalyptic pulp game with elements of survival, adventuring and investigation.

NUMBER OF PLAYERS:: 4 to 7

POSTING RATE: A minimum of one post per day.

COMMITMENT: For as long a people are interested.

TONE: Semi-serious
Last edited February 2, 2020 2:36 pm
Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
If you get enough people good luck, if you need one more person let me know I'll figure something out after everyone's figured out what they'd want to do. Just use Deluxe corebook for character gen right?
Jan 27, 2020 7:05 pm
Yes the Deluxe book.

I’ll give it about a week to see if enough people show interest.
Jan 27, 2020 8:22 pm
I saw some people that wanted a SW game to try out but they've Ghosted currently the site...
Jan 28, 2020 12:38 am
I would join a SW game like this. I am in a ton of games so I don't want to take a spot someone else would.
Feb 1, 2020 8:36 pm
Okay, I was going to pass because I don't know savage worlds, but after watching that trailer, I gots to join. Can be I dinosaur cowboy/rancher? That has to be a thing in this world.
Feb 1, 2020 9:26 pm
optimumsquare says:
Okay, I was going to pass because I don't know savage worlds, but after watching that trailer, I gots to join. Can be I dinosaur cowboy/rancher? That has to be a thing in this world.
Hello there! Savage Worlds is a fairly easy system to learn, not much to it. A dino cowboy/rancher is definitely a thing!

That’s three people. Ideally, I’d like one or two more people so I’ll give it a little longer.
Last edited February 1, 2020 9:31 pm
Feb 1, 2020 10:22 pm
SW is great and I would be all in if I wasn't already in a few. I'm curious how this turns out though!
Feb 1, 2020 11:02 pm
I am in an old west Savage World game and I like it so far. Plus...dinosaurs.

I will give it a try if you will have me.
Feb 2, 2020 12:20 am
I remember Cadillacs and Dinosaurs! I’m definitely interested, but it’s been a while since I’ve played Savage Worlds. Gonna need to crack open my book.

For a character concept, I’m thinking of a reformed dinosaur poacher.
Feb 2, 2020 1:48 am
Not sure of a character idea because I am not sure of tech levels.
Some kind of travelling gunman, maybe a bounty hunter. Assuming guns are a thing
Feb 2, 2020 2:44 pm
Machiabelly says:
Not sure of a character idea because I am not sure of tech levels.
Some kind of travelling gunman, maybe a bounty hunter. Assuming guns are a thing
Tech levels are somewhat all over the place. Guns, cars, generators, and certain other things exist, but very few people understand how they work, much less know how to build or repair them. Consequently, Mechanics (capital M) are in high demand and very influential.

Others things like computers, aircrafts, advanced metallurgy, phones, and sophisticated electronics are pretty much non-existent. Oil refinement is a thing of the past. Most existing tech has been converted to work on methane or dinosaur guano.

In case you couldn’t tell, this setting is light on the scientific realism.

I’ll post a guide to the setting as soon as I can.
Last edited February 2, 2020 2:45 pm

Len

Feb 2, 2020 5:07 pm
I loved this cartoon as a kid! It was probably a terrible adaptation of the comics but I was young and it had dinosaurs, so it checked the only box necessary for me to enjoy it. :) Best of luck on this game everyone!
Last edited February 2, 2020 5:09 pm
Feb 2, 2020 6:32 pm
I downloaded the comics (after seeing they were super pricey from third part retailers on Amazon) and they're good so far.
Feb 2, 2020 7:02 pm
Well, if I am in, I will go over character ideas in the game thread.
Feb 3, 2020 12:40 am
Interested, if you still have room.
Feb 3, 2020 1:14 pm
I'll just watch if we're full up. I'll just secretly do the voice of all the villains via monolog in my head.
Feb 3, 2020 10:00 pm
okay everyone, invites have been sent out.

@Remnant, I can take one or two more players. Do you want me to send you an invite? No worries, either way.
Feb 3, 2020 10:01 pm
Also, I'll post guidelines for character creation either tonight or tomorrow.
Feb 4, 2020 2:01 pm
I'll take one, since there's a lot of people I can also not worry about rapid response posts.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.