OOC PBP Basic Guidance

Jan 27, 2020 11:33 pm
Hello all! Just wanted to lay some ground-work here for posting protocol and what not, so that we're all "speaking the same language" so-to-speak, and even maybe so that our posts use similar formatting for easy readings sake.

But before that, first things first: my target goal is to post at least once a day. I ask you to do the same.

If I am investing free-time in this, and the others are investing free-time in this, it is only respectful of everyone's effort that you invest some free-time in this. If you don't think you can meet that standard for some reason, please just chime in on the OOC Chat thread to say so. I don't need justification or anything like that, just a quick; "Sorry guys can't post tonight/next couple days/week!", so we know what's going on and can either move on or wait patiently or whatever. I'm not going to put a hard-cap on days or posts/action missed, just simply that if I feel like you're not making an effort equal to everyone else, I will seek a replacement.

With that out of the way...

Second, some standard formatting for this game (and in many other games I think around this forum):

1. Regular font is for narration. Write in bold when your character says anything, example:

Bilbo says, "This is what it looks like when I'm talking in-character."

2. Characters can broadcast their thoughts in italics:

Bilbo thinks, "I wonder if these guys will learn how to share their PCs thoughts to reveal personal motivations and to help move the game forward."

Sharing thoughts offers a chance for everyone to get to know your PC, and even to allow other players (and the GM) to metagame a bit in the best way possible: using that insight to move the narrative forward, create drama, and interesting situations!

3. You can put up pictures from web sources by pasting a 'copy picture webaddress' link (see the "polaroid" looking icon up top).

4. You can quote people (see the Lego-man w/ a thought bubble icon up top).
emsquared says:
You can quote people
5. You can send a secret note to the GM and/or players for those secret matters (see the blank page w/dog-eared corner icon up top).
emsquared sent a note to emsquared
6. And you can say things Out of Character (see the OOC icon up top).
OOC:
This is what it looks like when I'm talking out-of-character.
People will use other colored text and underline, etc. for a variety of stuff. If you would like to do so, just make it clear what the use is if it is something other than simple emphasis or the like, and be consistent.

Once your character is approved you can toggle to post as "Player" (you/your forum name) or your character - and have separate avatars for each. Please use the character tag to post in-character.

7. If you click the "Advanced" post options you can add dice rolls to your post. The roll macro is pretty easy, and there's a tutorial here on the site.
Oct 31, 2020 8:01 pm
OK, as I'm taking over GM, I thought I'd start off, going through some basics again. Re-read em's post on formatting, that all still applies. The world is completely different to when we started, so I'm not asking for a post every single day, as I think we've all got a lot to juggle.

Nevertheless, it is important to remember we're all putting effort into running this, so a message in the OOC forum saying you need to step away for a week (or whatever) would be really helpful.

I think my weakness as a PbP GM is that I may not always advance things much in my posts as I worry that I'm railroading you all. Please either tell me I'm going too slow OOC, ask questions IC or just confirm "no my character isn't doing anything until X". Or some combination of all of the above!
Oct 31, 2020 8:04 pm
Oh, and my middle-earth lore isn't as good as others here, so be prepared for things to be much more vague. Feel free to shoot me a message or ask in OOC bubbles if I'm breaking canon!

Thread locked