Side Discussions

Jan 28, 2020 1:13 pm
I've decided to clean up the CC thread a bit and move everything that's not directly related to that over here for now so things don't get confusing.
FlyingSucculent says:
Hey @bowl, would you mind if I play solo with your rules? Just a one-shot battle with myself (on my own forum, of course). :D
bowlofspinach says:
For sure, try it out. The battle rules are mostly untested so it might be good to get them tested already xD
I'd be curious to observe if you wouldn't mind
FlyingSucculent says:
I can invite you to my sandbox game, if that's okay? :D

I also wanted to ask a question about enhanced: can mutations be counted as weapons/armor? Things like claws, for example, or a hardened skin. They are technically represent by traits, I guess, but if you want to add some armor penetration, or a special effect? (And if yes, would it still count for unarmed combat in case of such "weapons"?)
Edit: oops, armor penetration is technically under offensive mutation already. Well, how about poison then?

And I'm a bit confused by armor penetration, as there's no detailed description on what exactly this value means. I assumed at first that it allowed to ignore armor (like maybe if armor's value was lower than weapon's penetration?), but it doesn't appear to be the case on second glance. Can you give an example like a weapon with it would work against armored opponents?
Invite me to that game, that would be great :)

Yes, I didn't want to go too in depth in the rules chapter about all the combat rules because I didn't want that section to get too overwhelming. Also, the rules changed slightly since I wrote them down after I had a quick talk with CESN so what I called "Armor Penetration" at first, are now two values: Precision and Armor Break.

Basically, if a PC attacks an NPC, they first roll their weapon skill. If that is successful, they hit.
Then, they roll a Precision roll, using the weapon's Precision modifier as the effective skill level. If that is successful, the attack gets through the armor and hurts the character. If it is unsuccessful, it only hits the armor and (except for rare cases) doesn't do damage to the character. The Armor Break value is used to determine whether or not the attack damages the armor or not (You can't break military combat armor by hitting it with your bare hands).

If a PC is attacked by an NPC, they first roll their dodge skill. If that is unsuccessful, they are hit.
Then they roll an Armor roll, using their armor's current resistance level as the effective skill level. If that is unsuccessful, the attack hits the PC, if it is successful, the attack hits the armor.
Jan 28, 2020 1:37 pm
How does Armor Destruction ability works then?
Quote:
Armor Destruction:
Instead of trying to harm an opponent, a soldier can attempt to destroy their armor. Before making an attack, they have to announce to make use of this ability. If their attack hits, they do not roll to circumvent armor and do no damage to the target. Their armor penetration value is counted as 1 higher than it actually is. For the purposes of damaging armor, this attack is counted as if it had failed to penetrate the armor. If the armor is damaged by this attack, it takes one additional point of damage.
What is "armor penetration" here? It's not Precision because it'd be pointless to have it when you automatically deal no damage to the character. Is it just the repeat of last sentence?

So do mutations have these stats too? What is Precision of bare hands? XD
(Wouldn't it be more realistic for precision to be a skill? Or at least for there to be a skill that affects it? Sure you can't precisely use, say, a flamethrower, but I can see some characters being better at seeing weak points in armor.)
Last edited January 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm
With Armor Destruction, you attempt to break the opponents armor instead of hurting the opponent himself.
So you choose to fail the Precision roll. The "Armor Penetration" that is counted as 1 higher is the Armor Break value, basically meaning that by focusing on destroying the armor, you can damage armor more easily or even damage armor that you normally couldn't because your weapon isn't good enough.

Precision of Bare hands is a good question. I would say it's probably just 0 as it's pretty difficult to get through armor with your bare fists.
The Claws of an Enhanced can completely circumvent armor by spending Fatigue to activate that ability. Other than that, they also have to rely on other weapons to get through to an armored opponent or tear up the armor first, I guess.
OOC:
Side Note: I just realized that the Offensive Mutation should have a limit on what types of armor it can just circumvent. I'll add something there. Even with sharp claws, youc an't just tear up a tank that even a grenade launcher would have trouble with xD
Jan 28, 2020 1:51 pm
Quote:
(Wouldn't it be more realistic for precision to be a skill? Or at least for there to be a skill that affects it? Sure you can't precisely use, say, a flamethrower, but I can see some characters being better at seeing weak points in armor.)
That was how it originally worked but I preferred to have it depend on weapons.
Traits and abilities can cover for some characters being better at this than others. The Infiltrator has a trait for that, for example
Jan 28, 2020 2:06 pm
bowlofspinach says:
The "Armor Penetration" that is counted as 1 higher is the Armor Break value, basically meaning that by focusing on destroying the armor, you can damage armor more easily or even damage armor that you normally couldn't because your weapon isn't good enough.
So it is a repeat of the last sentence, right? "Armor penetration value is counted as 1 higher than it actually is" is the same as "it takes one additional point of damage". I was mostly confused on why it repeated twice. XD
bowlofspinach says:
Precision of Bare hands is a good question. I would say it's probably just 0 as it's pretty difficult to get through armor with your bare fists.
But they also don't have Armor Break, correct? So you need to roll exactly 5 to ignore armor, otherwise you hit it and there's no effect as you can't break it. So even if you are a master of unarmed combat, you would never deal damage unless you roll 5 (or you have ability/trait)?

Speaking of tanks and claws, is there any reference for numbers of Armor, Precision and Armor Break?
What are stats of a flamethrower, for example? Or that aforementioned grenade launcher?
Last edited January 28, 2020 2:07 pm
Jan 28, 2020 2:28 pm
Quote:
So it is a repeat of the last sentence, right? "Armor penetration value is counted as 1 higher than it actually is" is the same as "it takes one additional point of damage". I was mostly confused on why it repeated twice. XD
Armor Break determines whether an attack can deal damage to armor, not how much, so those are different things. But good question.
Quote:
But they also don't have Armor Break, correct? So you need to roll exactly 5 to ignore armor, otherwise you hit it and there's no effect as you can't break it. So even if you are a master of unarmed combat, you would never deal damage unless you roll 5 (or you have ability/trait)?
Bare Hands have an Armor Break value of 0, meaning they can damage very light protective gear but they won't do anything against someone wearing actual armor. Even a master of unarmed combat shouldn't run up to a guy in Power Armor and just punch him with his bare fists.
Quote:
Speaking of tanks and claws, is there any reference for numbers of Armor, Precision and Armor Break?
What are stats of a flamethrower, for example? Or that aforementioned grenade launcher?
I have some values I use as a baseline to determine that but I didn't share them because they're just a rough concept for myself and subject to change. I'll just give out values for the PCs equipment once everyone has submitted their character and a description of their weapons and armor.
Jan 28, 2020 2:56 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Armor Break determines whether an attack can deal damage to armor, not how much, so those are different things. But good question.
Oh, got it! But how exactly does Armor Break determine if armor's damaged - is it a roll, or comparison of values?
bowlofspinach says:

Bare Hands have an Armor Break value of 0, meaning they can damage very light protective gear but they won't do anything against someone wearing actual armor. Even a master of unarmed combat shouldn't run up to a guy in Power Armor and just punch him with his bare fists.
I mean, I see how it is from a mechanical standpoint, but what if a super buff guy grabs an armored opponent and throws them against the wall, for example?
Quote:
I have some values I use as a baseline to determine that but I didn't share them because they're just a rough concept for myself and subject to change. I'll just give out values for the PCs equipment once everyone has submitted their character and a description of their weapons and armor.
Ah, okay. I was just curious about the general numbers, like if SWAT armor would be Armor 1 or Armor 5, that sort of thing.

(PS: is your attack chart supposed to have armor damaged if Precision succeeds, or is it a mistake?)
Jan 28, 2020 3:01 pm
Oh, quick confirmation: Armor Destruction is a trait, right? So it doesn't cost fatigue? (It's referred to as an ability in its own description, just wanted to make sure.)
Last edited January 28, 2020 3:02 pm
Jan 28, 2020 3:16 pm
Quote:
Oh, got it! But how exactly does Armor Break determine if armor's damaged - is it a roll, or comparison of values?
A comparison of values.
Quote:
I mean, I see how it is from a mechanical standpoint, but what if a super buff guy grabs an armored opponent and throws them against the wall, for example?
If a character attempts some unarmed maneuver that might have potential to damage armor, we can decide on a way to handle it in the moment but generally, I would stick to saying that without a weapon, some armor is just too tough to break ;)
Quote:
Ah, okay. I was just curious about the general numbers, like if SWAT armor would be Armor 1 or Armor 5, that sort of thing.
I currently have a scale ranging from 0 to 7.
SWAT armor would be a 3 or 4, depending on just how heavy it is. A rocket launcher would be a 6 or 7.

Flamethrowers are a difficult question. I would probably put them at a 2 for armor break but (unintuitively) with high precision as especially with lighter armor, you don't really need to aim at gaps in the protection to hurt someone with a the flames.
Jan 28, 2020 3:18 pm
Quote:
(PS: is your attack chart supposed to have armor damaged if Precision succeeds, or is it a mistake?)
It depends on the weapon-armor-interaction. Depending on the matchup, the armor might take damage only when Precision fails or in either case.
Quote:
Oh, quick confirmation: Armor Destruction is a trait, right? So it doesn't cost fatigue? (It's referred to as an ability in its own description, just wanted to make sure.)
Yes, it's a trait. The use of "ability" in that description is a mistake
Jan 28, 2020 3:23 pm
Okay, thanks for all the clarifications! :D Also, I invited you here, the rright one-shot is "In The Rain". (Eh, you shouldn't actually see the others, but just in case. I'm not sure if I figured out permissions correctly.)
Jan 28, 2020 4:40 pm
Question! Is using an ability an action in context of Bloodrage? Namely, "you may not perform another action this turn", but may I use an ability? :D
Last edited January 28, 2020 4:43 pm
Jan 28, 2020 5:14 pm
Using an ability would count as an action
Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm
Aww, but it worked so nicely. XD
Feb 2, 2020 12:39 pm
I have a few more questions about Bloodrage (what, it's a cool ability, you gotta use it to the fullest).
1) Do traits apply to it? Specifically traits that can be activated, like Armor Destruction.
2) Does your armor work while you're in Bloodrage? (I don't think armor checks are "actions", but I thought abilities weren't ones either, so I'm making sure.)
3) can you switch weapons during Bloodrage? Like make one Bloodrage attack with one weapon, then other with a different one?
Feb 2, 2020 1:01 pm
1) is a good question. I would say yes. If that turns out to be unbalanced, that might be changed though.

2) You can't dodge but you can roll armor if you're attacked.

3) I would say no unless you're wielding both at the same time. You can't put one away and draw a different one.
Feb 2, 2020 3:29 pm
Okay, understood!
Bloodrage with Armor Destruction seems like a sweet deal, but it probably balances out by the fact that you can't really defend, so you almost trade health for damage.
Bloodrage with high damage weapons would be more overpowered, if anything. Imagine doing it with a rocket launcher! XD
Feb 4, 2020 1:19 am
How common would it be for us all to be armed if we happen to be inspected upon landing?
Feb 4, 2020 7:06 am
I'd say if you're carrying handguns or knives, that won't be a problem. Carrying larger weapons wouldn't be illegal either but people might get suspicious and law enforcement could decide to keep a closer eye on you.

For flying the ship: Setting the course and docking will require active attention by a pilot but inbetween, the ship will handle the flying, so watching out for red lights should be enough ;) You also won't need to make rolls for these things. Unless you're under attack or trying some unusual maneuvers, you'll be able to handle the basics.
Feb 4, 2020 5:11 pm
I’m rping as a pilot and my skill is level 3 so I guess i’ll Take that role. Maybe get Andrew connected as well to help ;)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.