Episode I: The Freelance Opportunity OOC

load previous
Mar 25, 2020 2:15 am
My apologies. With remote working from home and having to run some errands before stuff closed today I'm still catching up on some things. I should have a post first thing in the AM (Eastern US time).

Seuss
Apr 9, 2020 9:50 am
Easter weekend has began down this way, so happy Easter to you all and your families
May 18, 2020 8:29 pm
OOC:
Episode I: The Freelance Opportunity Rewards

Experience Points:

Everyone receives the following for completing the first episode.

Episode Reward: 20 XP
No Civilian Casualties: 5 XP
Retrieve ships logs/Captain's personal files: 5 XP

Total: 30 XP

Duty - CF-2517, Cypher, and Shadow receive 5 Duty each.

Conflict:
emsquared and GreyGriffin. I need you to provide a 1d10 for your change in Morality.

Ani received (3) Conflict
Wals received (1) Conflict.

Roll the 1d10 and if the roll is less than your Conflict your Morality decreases by the difference. If the roll is more than you conflict your Morality increases by the difference. (Ani's morality was triggered so the difference will be doubled).

Seuss sent a note to Mathfuric
Seuss sent a note to emsquared
Seuss sent a note to GreyGriffin
May 18, 2020 10:27 pm
Feeling Conflicted?

Rolls

Morality - (1d10)

(8) = 8

May 18, 2020 11:08 pm
The road to enlightenment?

GreyGriffin sent a note to Seuss
Last edited May 18, 2020 11:14 pm

Rolls

Morality (Conflict = 1) - (1d10-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

May 18, 2020 11:31 pm
Seuss, do we have a "Mentor" for the purposes of XP reduction for learning a Basic Force Power?
May 19, 2020 12:19 am
Seuss says:
OOC:
Mathfuric sent a note to Mathfuric
Thanks Seuss, I may need some help with upgrading. Will have a look at it and pm you any questions I have.
May 19, 2020 12:58 pm
emsquared says:
Seuss, do we have a "Mentor" for the purposes of XP reduction for learning a Basic Force Power?
Yes. Master Kota is your 'mentor' for purposes of XP reduction for learning a Basic Force Power.

I meant to mention that in my post as well ... my apologies :-)

Seuss
May 19, 2020 1:08 pm
There's an XP reduction for learning a basic force power with a Mentor?
May 19, 2020 3:36 pm
GreyGriffin says:
Yea, if you have a Mentor, when you purchase a Basic Force Power after character creation XP has been spent (so, when you purchase them in play) you get a -5XP discount to purchasing a Basic power only (not upgrades).
May 19, 2020 4:53 pm
emsquared says:
GreyGriffin says:
Yea, if you have a Mentor, when you purchase a Basic Force Power after character creation XP has been spent (so, when you purchase them in play) you get a -5XP discount to purchasing a Basic power only (not upgrades).
Yes. Obviously much more significant when playing in the Empire Era. But in the Clone Wars when there is still a Jedi Academy, Jedi Masters still around, I did not see why it would not apply and no sense in penalizing you and emsquared otherwise.

As you are 'special forces' and it is the Clone Wars I wanted to be a bit liberal in how fast you all can progress, so you do not need to be hesitant to try anything unique or amazing and so you can pull off feats like they do in the Clone Wars show.

Seuss
May 19, 2020 6:16 pm
Seuss says:
As you are 'special forces' and it is the Clone Wars I wanted to be a bit liberal in how fast you all can progress, so you do not need to be hesitant to try anything unique or amazing and so you can pull off feats like they do in the Clone Wars show.

Seuss
In reading this, I wanted to throw an idea out there for your consideration, Seuss.

I have used this approach in my own games for a couple years now, and in so doing also convinced another player/GM/friend here on the forums to do it in their games too, and it seems like they've had good success with it too. So I figured I might as well put the bug in your ear too ;)

But, what I do for games in this system is two-fold:

1. I set a "goal" for the amount of XP I want the PCs to earn over the course of the year. This goal is just a guide for me where I can say to myself, "What should a YEAR's-worth of play be 'worth'?" for this game, based on my narrative goals (i.e. based on the kind of characters I want the Players to be portraying by that time). Street level? Professional? Epic? So on... For me, for the first year of play, I set a goal of 150 XP for the first year of play where we started basically as fresh Padawans and played through Order 66. I wanted everyone to be at the book's "Knight Level" power-level, minimum, after a year. 150 earned-XP. Really, still comparable to probably Padawans, narratively, but the equivalent of maybe "a Padawan ready for the Trials".

2. To ensure that I meet that goal (and for other reasons that I'll speak about here), I give a set amount of XP every month that can be spent immediately, basically no matter what went on in the game or where we're at in the game. And for my 150 goal, for the first year of play specifically, I gave 10 XP a month because that would ensure we would end up close to my goal and I could supplement the rest with "end of session" rewards. Another thought is, doing this helps keep Players interested in the game, and thereby hopefully helps retain players, and just helps keep gameplay fresh as ppl are "constantly" getting new or better at things they can do. When there's 4 months between advancement because that's how long a session takes to get through, I think it can be hard to see "the light at the end of the tunnel", and so regular guaranteed XP rewards might help keep that light always in view.

It's a constant sense of mechanical progression, even when the narrative may be progressing seemingly slowly.

And so if you use this approach, you just reduce the amount of end of session XP awarded by an appropriate amount based on the number of months that passed during it.

It's very much a meta philosophy to progeession, it's based on narrative goals, not actual gameplay. And for that reason, it is not every GM's cup of tea. But it's worked very well for me, and I think my friend too (you can talk to user "SavageBob" about his experience with it yourself, if you want, he does 5 XP guaranteed every month). And so, figured I'd throw it out there as an idea, if it was something you liked - great, if not - that's great too. I found the XP reward for the first adventure to be appropriate, so this is not at all a critique on that, I just wanted to share an idea that has served me well.

Cheers!
Last edited May 19, 2020 6:19 pm
May 20, 2020 2:08 am
I appreciate the insight and helpful advice @emsquared - and that might be something I may give a trial run this next episode. I want everyone to progress and feel like they are accomplishing something ... but not get to out of hand where not even a Vader type would present a challenge. I find it's a bit of a balancing act with a PBP game when what would be a night with your friends at a tabletop is stretched out to 2-3 months.

@everyone - A bit of a poll for this short Interlude section. I have a small gear package I was going to give everyone mainly some loading bearing gear/backpack type stuff so you can look like cool special forces types but then got to thinking ... maybe everyone would just prefer to have the credit value and get what they want?

And it's actually funny that @emsquared posted on XP as I was going to present the idea of a monthly 'participation' bonus XP (that would/could be spent immediately). My thought being that I would have a set amount and if everyone posts in reply to the GM posts within 24 hours that they would get the full amount or get a percentage proportionate to how often they posted.

Thoughts? To tyrannical maybe? Or unfair?

I would appreciate any and all comments/criticism/suggestions or maybe just to say 'that's just crazy talk'.

Thank you,
Seuss
May 20, 2020 3:03 am
I like any ideas of some kind of regular small exp gain. It help me stay fresh with my exp investment plans. If it take months to get a bigger boost, than I have to read the whole "book" again (which is Starwars FFG means navigating half a dozen documents).

I would throw the idea of a "best post of the week/month" voted by everyone to recognize and reward (slightly) particularly good or interesting writing.

For the gear, I think a more requisition/reward/special gear for the mission style would feel more Clone Wars. While I see clones modding and preferring certain gear, I can't imagine them going shopping or going to far in nonstandard equipment.
May 20, 2020 4:13 am
Quote:
...but not get to out of hand where not even a Vader type would present a challenge.
Totally get that. In my experience the opposite is by far the more common problem - ppl don't see enough reward in pbp, but YMMV.

RE: the gear, Ani already bought a bunch of load-bearing gear at character creation (even though she has very little she needs to carry 😖), but I'm fine with either appropriate "package" rewards, or just receiving creds.

RE: participation based XP, I personally don't like the idea because presumably everyone wants to be here and play and be active, and when they can't it's probably because real life... well, is real life, and has to take precedence. And so I feel like it most likely just penalizes people who may be subject to circumstances that cause inactivity beyond their control. Same with "best rp" or similar rewards, some ppl, it's just not their style and so they end up in effect getting penalized. I may be wrong but I feel like unequal progression metrics like these ultimately disincentivize gameplay from those who don't benefit from them. And the ppl who benefit from them, are just doing what they'd likely be doing anyway. That said, I'm on here all the time, and will continue to be on here all the time as far as I can see, so if participation XP becomes a thing, I personally won't be sad about it :P
May 20, 2020 8:44 am
I frankly have no idea what it would take to roll over Darth Vader. The brief reading I've done suggests that sheer weight of numbers on the part of a PC group can bowl over even pretty major NPCs.

I am definitely in favor of merit XP. Good roleplay (portraying a character in an interesting and convincing way), active roleplay (initiating conversations or actions with other players and NPCs, using scenes as an opportunity to expand or present character, etc...), and exciting roleplay (elevating the scene through good narrative) should be rewarded. As a player of Exalted (whose Stunt bonuses can and do go up to XP), and the whole Burning Wheel family of games (who have a session-end council decide MVP, Embodiment, and Workhorse rewards of Artha.)

However, it's easy to turn these into rewards for spamming and general extroversion if they're doled out too large or too often. Sometimes the best thing for a character to do in a scene to keep the narrative flow is actually to... stay off-camera. And yes, sometimes players have RL obligations that prevent them from participating at the same pace as others. I am also one of those rare GMs who does encourage participation XP more broadly. Although people see it as punishing players who don't make it, it's also rewarding those players who do show up.

All of this has to be balanced against, I think, the important factor of proportion. If, for instance, you reward good roleplay with 5 XP for a standout post, and you're giving out 10 XP a moth, then that's quite a different situation if you're awarding 30 XP for a chapter, and give out 5 XP for general good roleplaying in the chapter.

I hate to go into "how I would do it," especially since I'm not super informed on the system, and every GM handles advancement differently, so take this with a grain of salt...

But...

I would give a modest amount of XP in frequent intervals (5 every two weeks-ish? I'd try to divvy it up by narrative scene, but well, pbp, especially combat, can get hairy...), and then give, say, 1 XP for a good roleplaying moment that period (make sure to call it out specifically! Vivid writing, good characterization, a clutch stunt or action that transforms a scene, a particularly graceful or interesting suggestion on how to Despair their character... but also a good supporting role, using their character to spotlight another character, being a good foil for dialogue, etc...), and 1 for showing up. Not 100% post rate, but keeping things brisk and not holding things up, but also not disappearing. For a solid B in attendance. By keeping them frequent and small, that lets those awards slowly accumulate. And, as a mature player, I can handle not getting 1 XP because I didn't feel like my character had much to do in a scene. But getting chunked out of, say, 10 XP because I didn't jump a hurdle at the end of the month (one I can't see the top of!) might feel a little sour. But I also think rewarding a player more immediately for doing something great creates a good feedback loop.

Naturally, with a trickle of XP, you'll have to meter story rewards a little differently, but I think there you can get a lot of buy-in from the players. If you're transparent and say, "Hey, I'm going to give pretty big chunky awards at story end until you hit around 150, so we can do Knight-level play, but then I will probably back off and see how it plays out so the XP rewards might get smaller to keep things from spinning out of control," I think your players will understand that. I know I would. And those story end rewards won't have everyone peeking at each others' bonus rewards, because those will have already been given out during play.

Now that I've waxed poetic about XP for, like, way too long, as for gear? It might be good to take a hybrid approach. Give out a standard kit or basics, and then give some credits to personalize and polish it. That kit of basics can do a lot to help us see how you want us to approach the game - camoflage cloaks, electrobinoculars, and ascension guns are going to give a much different vibe than thermal detonators and a squad-wide E-Web blaster.
Last edited May 20, 2020 8:45 am
May 20, 2020 11:10 am
I don't mind the idea of xp rewards, but like GreyGriffin I think keep it sparse and infrequent.

I don't really have enough experience in gaming to have a very strong opinion yet.
May 22, 2020 1:25 am
Any update on when we can expect the prelude and start character introduction?
May 22, 2020 2:46 am
TheVagrant says:
Any update on when we can expect the prelude and start character introduction?
Yes. I hope to open a thread tomorrow. Was giving everyone a chance to work out their XP expenditure and get everyone's thoughts on XP rewards moving forward (and thanks to everyone who chimed in).

Seuss
load next

Thread locked