Baldur's Gate III gameplay reveal

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 27, 2020 8:37 pm
There's a reveal stream playing at the moment for the upcoming Baldur's Gate III game. It shows the beginning of the game and how it plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhawYZwvPI
Feb 27, 2020 8:57 pm
That's Larian's new project, isn't it?
Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm
Yup. I worry they may have wanted to put in too much of their old engine too badly. I know they're really proud of it, but where in D&D 5E does it say I can dip a weapon in a burning fire to get fire damage on my next attack? And the huge shoves normally also are only 5 feet. But I don't want to sound too sour, visually the game looks good.

Edit: at another part of the game now, the more I see, the more I start to feel this is a reskin of Divinity, rather then a true D&D game.
Last edited February 27, 2020 9:38 pm
Feb 28, 2020 11:36 am
Khulod says:
Edit: at another part of the game now, the more I see, the more I start to feel this is a reskin of Divinity, rather then a true D&D game.
In what way? Other than picking up elemental damage (fire) from the ground
Feb 28, 2020 5:38 pm
Yes, the big shoves and jumps were a little off putting to me, but I felt like everything else was true to D&D. If a player asked me if they could get a one time fire bonus damage with arrow + torch/campfire, I would allow it.
Feb 28, 2020 5:51 pm
Read an article about it, and it sounds like the shoves and jumps are really implemented for world-exploration potential.

The dev in the article talked about secret areas only discoverable/accessible with jumps, and of shoving boxes to gain access to higher areas and things...

If it contributes more to the gameplay and world/story than it detracts from the parity with D&D mechanics, I think it's all to the good.
Feb 28, 2020 6:20 pm
Oh great lets add elements of Mario to the DnD video game -- do they have magic mushrooms and stars too?
Mar 3, 2020 7:55 am
I was very impressed with what I saw of it and am pretty hyped for the game. One thing that I really liked about the Divinity games and will also love about this is the ability for the environment to play a factor in combat encounters, which is not something I’ve seen from any prior D&D video games.

The ability to set the area around you on fire to deter a band of trolls or firing an arrow into a candelabra to bring it down on the head of your opponent sounds really great to me.
Mar 3, 2020 11:42 am
I have started playing Divinity 2 again
Last edited March 6, 2020 10:12 am
Mar 6, 2020 1:36 am
From what I saw, the mix of d&d with the divinity engine will make a great game !! Can't wait to play it instead of watching it !
Jun 17, 2020 7:40 pm
Greatly looking forward to this one! Gonna buy into the early access in August for sure!
Jun 18, 2020 5:46 am
I'm not a fan of the early access thing. I'd rather play the game when it's complete and polished than deal with constant updates and changes as development goes on.
Jun 18, 2020 7:43 am
Naatkinson says:
I'm not a fan of the early access thing. I'd rather play the game when it's complete and polished than deal with constant updates and changes as development goes on.
My thoughts exactly, but I also want to play this game. [in yoda voice]The strong the conflict is, in this one :) [/in yoda voice]
Mar 17, 2021 4:00 pm
I played the first Baldur's Gate on Playstation or X-box, I can't remember. I think it was my first RPG. I had some fun but didn't stick to it that long. The new BG3 looks great! The animations are a little weird though (like changing direction, stop/start running, etc.)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.