Re-watching Avatar The Last Airbender

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 11, 2020 12:56 pm
I loved this show when I was younger and I just started watching it again now that most of what I remember is vague. I am on Book Two and I was just curious about which character is your favorite and what element do you think you'd belong to?
Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm
Quote:
which character is your favorite
There is only one correct answer to this and we all know it
[ +- ] Iroh
Mar 11, 2020 1:08 pm
xD I love Iroh. Just the duo of Iroh and Zuko in general is my favorite part of the show.
Mar 11, 2020 1:31 pm
There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

No seriously, Iroh is easily the best character in that series. This makes me want to watch it again. :p
Mar 11, 2020 2:08 pm
Linus says:
There is no war in Ba Sing Se.

No seriously, Iroh is easily the best character in that series. This makes me want to watch it again. :p
I recommend it. It aged finely.
Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm
I tried watching it (for the first time) a couple years ago, and after about six or seven episodes wasn't hooked so I abandoned it. I've been told that it gets great, so may give it another shot.
Mar 11, 2020 5:21 pm
I've been thinking about giving this another rewatch for a while - I dearly loved this show and think about it frequently. And to echo the prevailing stated sentiment, Iroh is definitely my favorite character, among a collection of very good characters.
Mar 11, 2020 5:34 pm
Keep in mind, Qralloq, it's written for children. Don't expect much depth of characters or complexity of plot. Still, I was entertained by it the first time I watched it nearly ten years ago.
Mar 11, 2020 6:48 pm
Also, let us not forget the iconic cabbage merchant!
Mar 12, 2020 3:45 am
Linus says:
Keep in mind, Qralloq, it's written for children. Don't expect much depth of characters or complexity of plot. Still, I was entertained by it the first time I watched it nearly ten years ago.
https://media3.giphy.com/media/UGba4CcQG8T9m/giphy.gif

uh, there is plenty of complexity. Iroh grieving over his son, Zuko's inner turmoil. It might, might be for kids, but there is a lot of stuff in there for older viewers
Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm
crazybirdman says:
uh, there is plenty of complexity. Iroh grieving over his son, Zuko's inner turmoil. It might, might be for kids, but there is a lot of stuff in there for older viewers
Well, we both used subjective and nebulous terms (plenty, lot, much) so I don't know if is much to debate there other than what number we feel typifies the ambiguous term used. However, I would argue your "might, might" as it is known and accepted that the series was intended for children. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by all, to be sure.

The challenge in writing for younger audiences that you risk losing them if things get too deep or complex. Thus, the overarching plot is predictable, character motivations are presented clearly, and almost every non-villain character is relatable. Those are signs of simplicity, aren't they? Compare it to plots and characters from MacBeth, Hamlet, etc. This is all I was meaning to convey. I did not mean to give offense to fans of the show. I am a fan myself.

**Edit
Also, forgot to mention I thoroughly laughed at the gif from body snatchers. :D good job.
Last edited March 12, 2020 1:26 pm
Mar 12, 2020 7:29 pm
First watched this series in my 40's, then again in my 40's then i bought the graphic novels. Loved the episode where they watch their exploits in the play. Way better and more engrossing than most supposedly adult TV.
May 16, 2020 6:14 am
I think it's pretty important to get past the first... 4(??) episodes, until they visit the Air Temples. The pilot and the few episodes after are clearly written for a pitch to Nickelodeon execs to show them that it was just a safe kids' adventure show. That's when they really start delving into the complexities of character and conflict that define the best parts of the show and build up to the astronomical later seasons.
May 16, 2020 6:22 am
I agree with GreyGriffin. The show was just a kids' show until a few episodes in, and then the story very clearly starts to dig deeper. To be clear, it never stops being a show for children. But the depth of the characters is definitely there, even in the first season. I got hooked on it when my (then) young son started watching it during its initial run, surprised by how much it drew me in. I still consider it one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Edited to add: IT'S ON NETFLIX! YAY!
Last edited May 16, 2020 6:26 am
May 16, 2020 1:05 pm
Qralloq says:
I tried watching it (for the first time) a couple years ago, and after about six or seven episodes wasn't hooked so I abandoned it. I've been told that it gets great, so may give it another shot.
After posting that, I binged it all. It did get really good, although I found the last half of season three a bit less interesting, but will still some great moments.
May 17, 2020 2:50 pm
I'm currently watching Trollhunters on Netflix, and then I'm going to pick this one up. I've been meaning to get to it for years
May 18, 2020 5:00 pm
The Dragon Prince on Netflix is worth checking out also.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.