Simple fantasy "beat-em-up" ?

Mar 26, 2020 6:41 pm
I ran a fun game for some of my friends last night (Squirrel Attack! modified using the Quest engine) which was a real hoot. But it was pretty narrative / RP heavy, so I'm in search of a more combat focused experience for our next one-shot (including pre-gen characters). Our group is about 3 - 5 players + a gamemaster (me). Anyone have some suggestions? I'm certainly not opposed to buying something from DriveThruRPG.

I mentioned fantasy in the title, but it doesn't have to be -- that's just how my group usually rolls.

(If anyone wants a copy of the characters from Squirrel Attack as modified, let me know -- I made them as Google Docs)
Last edited March 26, 2020 6:42 pm
Mar 26, 2020 7:08 pm
I recall a group played some kind of WWII army combat rpg which was mostly combat oriented and they literally had armored car like the T18 Boarhound I played it briefly with them but I do not recall what the rpg was called
Mar 26, 2020 7:38 pm
Interesting -- yeah, I guess, more than anything else, I'm desiring a game that's less about the RP and more about the combat -- tactical, perhaps -- less "talking" and more rolling dice and killing monsters. Just for something different than what we just did. We all have played D&D for years; simply looking for some "one-off" options to sprinkle in now-and-again.

Len

Mar 26, 2020 8:05 pm
If you don't mind PvP, a bunch of us on GP had a blast with this last year: 5e Team Death Match. You can find streams to watch people play it.
Last edited March 26, 2020 8:06 pm
Mar 26, 2020 8:18 pm
What about HackMaster
Mar 26, 2020 8:33 pm
If you want tactical, you can't go wrong with Melee and Wizard from Steve Jackson Games. Very tactical and unforgiving, but requires a hex map.
Mar 27, 2020 2:56 pm
Thanks for these suggestions!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.