Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 11, 2016 12:08 pm
If there are no obvious signs of passage, Mordred returns to the party and suggests they double back to Royal Road.
Mar 11, 2016 4:44 pm
There are no obvious signs of passage, but you can't conclusively rule out that she might have gone this way.
Mar 11, 2016 4:47 pm
Sure, I understand. I'm hoping we can find something more conclusive down one of the routes we have yet to check.
Last edited March 11, 2016 4:48 pm
Mar 11, 2016 6:36 pm
Backtracking to the crossroads, Mordred takes the west tunnel, the "royal road."

This tunnel leads west with a moderate decline, veering slightly to the south, for about 100', then begins to curve more sharply to the south and east as the decline gets steeper. After about 60', the tunnel straightens out, heading southeast, still declining. It will continue in this way for at least another 100'.

Keep going?
Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm
Zangua looks at Felor's spear and the light placed upon it. He finally points to the light and asks, "Is that permanent? Seems awfully useful."
Mar 11, 2016 8:27 pm
Mordred looks for signs of Zora or her pursuers.

Rolls

Survival/Investigation - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Mar 11, 2016 10:08 pm
There are a few odd scratches in the tunnel here and there, much like the ones in the earlier section of tunnel.

One spot in the bend is damp and slightly muddy. There are some odd tracks left here, resembling large, square-toed and square-heeled flat boots.
Mar 12, 2016 3:26 am
CancerMan says:
"Well," begins Zangua, "let's look at it this way; if we're having a hard time finding your friend, chances are that cult is, too. I mean, if it were made easy for us, you'd think they'd have gotten to her by now."
"True enough, I suppose." Leth says as they walk back towards the previous chamber. "I'm just worried for her, is all. The more we find out about this cult, the more dangerous and unpredictable they seem... I hope she knows what she's doing."

As the tunnel begins to take a southern turn, Leth comments, "This seems promising..."
Mar 13, 2016 6:24 am
After 100' or so, the tunnel bends due south, and remains straight for about 60', after which it starts veering to the southwest.

Keep going?
Mar 13, 2016 2:00 pm
Encouraged by the footprint, although Zora would never wear such unfashionable footwear, Mordred presses on.
Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm
The passage runs about 150', turning more and more to the west, still on a decline, then begins to widen. Here the tunnel looses the uncanny smoothness of the previous areas. It's rougher here, with mounds of earth in your path from chunks of the ceiling having fallen.

You start hearing something: a low, steady sound, like white noise, but faint.

The tunnel continues onward. After several hundred more feet it lets out into the side of a natural cavern, where you see the source of the sound: an underground river about 15' wide, running west-by-southwest. There's about five feet of dry bank on either side of it.
Mar 13, 2016 6:46 pm
Zangua takes this opportunity to refill his waterskin, and take a drink.
Mar 13, 2016 7:11 pm
The water is cold and clean-tasting.
Mar 14, 2016 4:29 am
Leth slowly approaches the riberbank, examining the ground as he goes. He hopes the earth will be damp enough that he can find some trace of Zora, or anyone else, passing through here. So far the trajectory of the tunnel has been promising, so it seems likely that this tunnel may lead to Hazard. He is beginning to feel a bit more hopeful.
Last edited March 14, 2016 4:30 am

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Mar 14, 2016 5:10 am
Leth finds a few more of those squared-off bootprints, heading downstream on the near bank.
Mar 14, 2016 5:14 am
"More footprints here; they're heading downstream. Though whether they're Zora's or not... Well, we can hope." He says, straightening up and gesturing to the footprints. He then also takes a brief moment to refill his water skin.
Mar 14, 2016 12:45 pm
Mordred perks up at the continuation of the footprints. He tries to figure out if they are possibly Zora's, based on their size and what he remembers of her footwear when she left Sthombo under his guidance.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Mar 14, 2016 1:23 pm
Does the path continue alongside the river?
Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm
Zora had normal-size feet and no predilection for unusual footwear as far as Mordred remembers.

You can walk alongside the river indefinitely in either direction.
Mar 14, 2016 3:55 pm
"Square-toed and square-heeled," reminds Zangua. "You think it's the metal man?"
load next

Thread locked