Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 14, 2016 4:45 pm
The farm-hand's description of the metal man plays over in Felor's head again and he shivers.
"Could be. But let's hope not."
Felor looks closer to examine the strange tracks - maybe something about the indentation or gait pattern can indicate if this was a person or the... construct?

Rolls

Survival skill check - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm
Downstream means to the west-southwest, right?

As Felor finishes examining the tracks, Mordred pushes the group to move faster. "We finally have a chance to make up some time on Zora and her pursuers, let's make haste!"
Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm
It's an odd print, and you can only get a decent look at it where the ground is damp. The depth suggests that the person -- or thing -- making the prints is fairly heavy.
Mar 14, 2016 8:01 pm
Leth passes a quick glance around the immediate area to see if there was anything else worth noticing, then follows Mordred further into the cavern.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Mar 14, 2016 8:06 pm
I'd like to see Perception rolls from everybody, please, as you walk downstream.
Mar 14, 2016 8:11 pm
Zangua follows the group, habitually scanning his surroundings. He remains close to the cavern wall and away from the river.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Mar 14, 2016 9:05 pm
Mordred tries to shield his eyes somewhat from his compatriots' torches and lanterns so that his darkvision might reveal some clues.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Mar 14, 2016 10:03 pm
OOC:
We're really good at perceiving today
Mar 14, 2016 10:11 pm
You follow the river about a quarter mile downstream.

Some elongated white mushrooms grow at the base of the cavern wall on the other side of the river. So far, nothing else out of the ordinary has caught the party's attention.
Mar 14, 2016 10:18 pm
Seeing nothing important, Leth keeps following the river.
Mar 14, 2016 11:55 pm
"Looks like a river to me..."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Mar 15, 2016 4:37 am
The party continues for another half mile. The river bends more and more to the south, and you start seeing more and more limestone rocks of varying size in the water, on your walkway, in the earthen walls of the cavern.

At one point, the contours of the riverbank flatten out for a muddy 10' stretch nearly level with the water. There are no footprints in the mud.
Mar 15, 2016 8:52 am
Seeing the print-less mud, Leth stops, confused.

"Hold on..." He half mumbles, a puzzled look on his face. "Did we miss something?" He takes another look at the mud, and then turns to Mordred. "Maybe we passed a hidden tunnel somewhere... We should go back. Take a more thorough look. I think-" Suddenly his eyes widen, and his hands go to his bow as another possibility occurs to him.

"Or." He says cautiously, glancing around the cavern. "The hunter has now become the hunted."
Last edited March 15, 2016 2:10 pm
Mar 15, 2016 9:02 am
Zangua casually looks around and says simply, "Maybe it just crossed the river."
Mar 15, 2016 9:32 am
"If it was the metal man - and the tracks suggest it was - I'd say he- it could easily ford the river. Maybe it just walked downstream," Felor suggests, hoping that Leth was wrong. Nevertheless he adjusts his grip on his spear and scans the surroundings.

Is there a path on the other side of the river?

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Mar 15, 2016 2:09 pm
OOC:
For some reason, the way I saw it in my head (at 3:30 in the morning after getting home from work) made it seem like the river itself had lessened to mud, and I thought going through the mud was the only way to continue... After a bit of sleep and re-reading it, that *does* seem like a bit of a false assumption and over reaction... Ah well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How deep is the river?
Last edited March 15, 2016 2:12 pm
Mar 15, 2016 2:25 pm
Cool. Cool cool cool. Disappearing metal golems.

Beginning to panic, Mordred lets the rest of the party check out the far bank while he hurriedly doubles back on their side of the river, checking for clues they might have missed. Perhaps coming from the other direction gives him a chance to see something that was not as obvious walking downstream?

Rolls

Investigation/Perception (same modifier) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Insight into what the person/thing leaving these tracks might have done? - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 15, 2016 2:53 pm
Shamush looks down a the prints where the stopped and then back up the trail they followed. He looks around in agitation. He reaches into the water to feel around for the bottom.

The ceiling is low, right? Being traumatised by that scene in Aliens, as a kid, I'm always tempted to look up.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mar 15, 2016 4:02 pm
There is a walkable bank on the other side of the river. The river is about 5' deep, and the ceiling is about 12' above the water level.

Mordred, how far back are you willing to backtrack at this point? You've been following the river for about three quarters of a mile so far.
load next

Thread locked