Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 15, 2016 4:08 pm
OOC:
I have a theory about the scratches - the robot man is holding his staff sideways and the end is scratching the wall. Why he's doing that, not sure. Pushing a captive forwards maybe?

Also: just to recap, the river is 15 feet wide and 5 feet deep. Pretty hard (but not impossible) to cross, although if it's fast flowing it'd be pretty risky. Although a robot could do it easily.
Last edited March 15, 2016 4:20 pm
Mar 15, 2016 4:21 pm
Let's say I'll walk back quickly but attentively for a max of 10 minutes, so maybe that gets me a half mile?
Mar 15, 2016 4:32 pm
Updated map

http://i.imgur.com/T0pWkrk.jpg

Just realized I made the river flow due west rather than WSW, but close enough.
Last edited March 15, 2016 4:33 pm
Mar 15, 2016 4:43 pm
That looks...way better than my map. Wow.

After about eight minutes of backtracking, Mordred spots a faint bootprint, giving something of a limited range for where the bootprintleaver could have left the near bank.
Mar 15, 2016 5:15 pm
I've got to say, there is so much I want to explore in this map, and if our mission were not so tightly focused I would be pushing to do all sorts of stuff. I hope maybe we can get back to the Badgerways later in the campaign.
Mar 15, 2016 5:16 pm
Mordred runs back to the group, explaining his find and suggests fording the river to check the far bank.
Mar 15, 2016 5:17 pm
Yeah, you guys are following your quest log instead of going sandbox.
Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm
Haha, yeah, maybe we should be grinding on some of these sidequests before hitting the main story missions. The bosses might be too overpowered if we don't level up.
Mar 15, 2016 5:49 pm
"Is it safer to cross back there?" asks Zangua. "Mind you, I left my rope back at the entrance. Anyone have more?"
Mar 15, 2016 5:50 pm
The river is only about 15' wide and 5' deep, with a strong but not dangerous current. You can cross safely at any point.
Mar 15, 2016 5:52 pm
"We can cross here and see if we can pick up the trail. If not, then we can double back."
Mar 15, 2016 8:18 pm
Going down the other side of the river, you see no evidence of the squared-off bootprints.
Mar 15, 2016 8:24 pm
OOC:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 15, 2016 8:26 pm
Your immediate options right now seem to be:

a) keep going
b) go back
c) carefully search the (~1/3 mile) area where the prints disappeared
Mar 15, 2016 10:33 pm
Twisting his dagger in his hand Vad is wondering if this thing just walked right down the middle of the river.

"I'm wondering if this thing just walked right down the middle of the river." he says, sharing his thoughts with the others. "Best way not to leave tracks that I can think of." He'll then suggest that they go back to the last sighting of the tracks, follow them closely, and if nothing obvious shows up that determines what happened that the party simply continues following the river.
Mar 15, 2016 10:50 pm
OOC:
I don't think we need to go level-grinding... I trust Octo to level us up as necessary ;)
Our mission right now is just so time-sensitive that I don't think our characters could or would consider going off track; perhaps once we've found Zora that might be alleviated a bit?
I definitely would like to come back here later if we get the opportunity. New Goblin City sounds like THE BEST time.
Leth nods in agreeance with Vad's words.

"If these tracks do belong to the 'metal man', we should also remember we don't know how much it's capable of... I'm no expert on magic, but perhaps it has some way of moving without leaving tracks? What if it could fly, or travel instantaneously from one location to another without walking?" He shrugs. "I don't know if such things are possible, but my understanding of magic is that with enough training, one can do almost anything... And we really don't know who - or what - we're dealing with here."

"And of course, if it did decide to walk down the middle of the stream to avoid leaving tracks, we would have to assume it knows it's being followed. It could easily be waiting for us further down the cavern, or even nearby."
He says in a hushed voice. "But it seems more likely to me that we missed something during our walk - a hidden side tunnel, perhaps? I say before we venture further ahead, we backtrack to the last footprint we found and do some searching. Just be careful; I think the possibility that it is alerted to our presence is a real one."
Mar 15, 2016 11:00 pm
Anyone going back to search needs to give me an Investigation roll.
Mar 15, 2016 11:49 pm
Mordred looks for a secret tunnel or passage.

EDIT: uggggggh
Last edited March 15, 2016 11:50 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Mar 15, 2016 11:57 pm
OOC:
What do you call a crocodile wearing a vest?

An investigator!

... that may be the worst joke I know.
OOC:
ETA: Almost as bad as that roll...
Last edited March 15, 2016 11:58 pm

Rolls

Investigatin' - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Mar 16, 2016 12:05 am
Walking back the way the party originally came Vad continues to spin his dagger as he slowly scans his surroundings.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

load next

Thread locked