Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 24, 2016 4:18 pm
Oh, Zangua. Ouch.

The goblins nimbly drive their spears up past the boiled leather panels of Zangua's armored skirt.

Edit: Argh, can't fix typos in dice roll captions! Leth, Mordred, and Shamush can go now.

Rolls

Zangua's damage from 3 goblin spear hitsm (1d6+2 ea.) - (3d6+6)

(145) + 6 = 16

Mar 24, 2016 4:46 pm
Whoa, tough gerblins!

Mordred slips behind the already wounded goblin and slashes at him with his rapier. He then Disengages with the melee and retreats to the wall of the room.

Rolls

Attack (Rapier) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage + Sneak Attack (allowed if target is within 5 feet of another enemy) - (1d8+3, 1d6)

1d8+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

1d6 : (2) = 2

Mar 24, 2016 4:53 pm
OOC:
Sorry, all. Busy work week, and this weekend is going to be even busier. Probably won't have time to hop back on again until sunday afternoon.

As the goblins swarm into the cavern, Leth backs up, putting some distance between himself and their spears, and lines up a shot at one of the goblins attacking Zangua - he looked like he'd just taken some nasty hits.

Leth will move as far away from the goblins as he can - up to 30 feet - while still being able to see and attack the goblins, just to try and keep himself out of melee range (Unless that would provoke an AoO, but if I'm reading these posts correctly, I don't think there are any goblins close enough to him for that). Then he will shoot an arrow at one of the goblins in group B
Last edited March 24, 2016 4:54 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Damage Roll - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Mar 24, 2016 5:45 pm
In the confusion of battle, Mordred's rapier slash goes wide, and misses its target.

Leth, however, backing away cautiously, waits for his moment. Just as one of the goblins yanks his spear out of Zangua's thigh, he looses an arrow. It flies straight over the torch burning on the ground and pierces the goblin's ribcage right under his arm. Without an utterance, he falls to the ground.

"Maglubiyet alak mel!" the goblin next to him shouts.

"Maglubiyet alak mel! Maglubiyet alak mel!" all the other goblins call back. The last three come running out of the tunnel, full speed toward Leth.

"Maglubiyet a zun dur mel!" the goblin boss roars, following them.

Shamush, you're up!
Mar 24, 2016 9:35 pm
OOC:
Gonna go ahead and make my next post because I don't know if I'll be around to do it when it's actually my turn; throw this in it's appropriate place in the initiative order.
Leth continues to back up as far as he can while still staying close enough to Felor and his glowing spear that he can see, (perhaps that's not very far, if indeed he can still back up at all) and lets loose another arrow, this time aimed at one of the goblins that had turned its attention towards him.

Rolls

Attack roll - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

damage roll - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Mar 25, 2016 1:24 am
Shamush is driven up against the wall of the cavern by the onslaught of the goblins, his shield deflecting blows. He grunts as he hits stone and shakes his head, breathing sharply through his nose. Letting out a strangled growl, he lifts his wicked club into the air and tries to push his assailants back, a faraway look in his eyes.

Attacking the closest goblin. Activating barbarian rage (+2 damage, resistance to bludgeoning/slashing/piercing), as well as (Path of the Berserker's) Frenzy, which will give me a bonus attack starting on my next round and continuing until the rage runs out.

Rolls

Attack Goblin! - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Damage Goblin! - (1d8+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Mar 25, 2016 2:37 am
The last goblin to strike at Shamush looks up just in time to see the club that ends his life swinging down on his face, crushing his skull like an overripe sourmelon.

"Maglubiyet alak mel!" the goblins cry.

Of the last three goblins to exit the tunnel, the two spear-carriers wheel around to join the circle around Shamush, thrusting with their crude weapons, but the sword-wielding goblin charges toward Leth and with a wordless battle cry, swings for his legs.

Edit: One of the goblins manages to jam his spearpoint into Shamush's thigh.

So, no damage taken because of your Rage resistance.

The Fantastical Flying Felor is up next!

Rolls

Goblin C1 spear attack vs Shamush - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Goblin C2 spear attack vs Shamush - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Sword Goblin sword attack vs Leth - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Spear damage to Shamush - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Mar 25, 2016 2:58 pm
The resistance rules are new to me, but as I understand it, I take half damage? Is that right? Rather than no damage. So 4 HP in this case?
Last edited March 25, 2016 2:58 pm
Mar 25, 2016 3:48 pm
PHB layout as awesome as ever, that is correct, half damage, so, 4 damage.
Mar 27, 2016 10:50 am
Sorry, it's a 4-day weekend over here so been busy.

Couple of questions:
How low is the ceiling?
If I cast an AOE with a 20ft radius (so 40ft across) can I catch just goblins in it, or is everyone too close together?
Mar 27, 2016 3:31 pm
The ceiling is 10' high. You can't really AoE without hitting Zangua, Shamush, and Mordred.
Mar 27, 2016 7:19 pm
Felor suddenly feels light-headed and almost panics as his feet drift away from the cavern floor, but quickly realises he's able to control the path of his flight and isn't about to helplessly float to the cavern's ceiling.
"By gods, praise be to Fjorgyn!" he exclaims, suddenly full of holy fervour. Scanning the melee in the cavern from his elevated position, he sees the single sword-wielding gobbo careening towards Leth, while Shamush is becoming increasingly surrounded by spear-goblins. Deciding that Leth can likely cope with the single opponent, he decides to glide over to assist Shamush. Somehow just formulating that plan in his mind starts Felor floating at speed over the combatants and he lands smoothly behind one of the creatures threatening Shamush, immediately stabbing towards it with his spear.

Spear attack vs one of the spear-gobbos currently surrounding Shamush. Do I get any bonus for attacking from behind/the side of the enemy?
This is my impression of the state of play, possibly Leth killed an extra goblin attacking Zangua but it wasn't clear if the arrow had killed it or not.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2784657/2016-03-27%2020.08.27.jpg

Rolls

Spear attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Spear damage (piercing) - (1d6+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Mar 27, 2016 10:51 pm
Diagram looks great. The goblin Leth shot (from B group) is dead. Zangua wounded one of the A group goblins (the ones around Shamush) with his crossbow, do you want your spear attack to have targeted the already wounded one, or the unharmed one?
Mar 27, 2016 11:00 pm
The wounded one, and it's that one I was confused about actually not Leth's target.
Last edited March 27, 2016 11:01 pm
Mar 28, 2016 1:08 am
Felor glides up and across the ceiling like a liquid shadow, descending to jab a glancing blow at the wounded goblin, who staggers away from the aerial onslaught, alive but barely.

Striding out of the tunnel, the goblin boss lowers his axe, sizing up the scene. He proceeds straight toward the most wounded adversary, Zangua, raising his axe high above his head, ready to strike a mortal blow...

Edit: Zangua's armor saves him. Next combat round to begin shortly...

Rolls

Axe attack vs Zangua - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Mar 28, 2016 2:19 am
Round two! Same order!

Status changes
Goblin group A: one dead, one injured
Goblin group B: one dead
Shamush: slightly injured
Zangua: injured
Felor: can fly

The wounded goblin makes a wild and desperate lunge for Shamush's legs while his surviving companion positions himself for a more deliberate attack.

Edit: Once again, the barbarian effortlessly dodges the spear thrusts.

Playing Leth's banked attack now.

Leth quickly crab walks a few yards away from the sword goblin, toward the corner where Felor is hovering, and shoots an arrow at his attacker. It buries itself below the goblin's breastbone. He drops his sword.

"Maglubiyet..." he croaks, and falls dead.

"Maglubiyet alak mel!"
the other goblins shout.

Vad and Zangua, it's your turn!

Rolls

Goblin A1 (wounded) spear attack vs Shamush - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Goblin A2 spear attack vs Shamush - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Mar 28, 2016 2:36 am
Resisting the urge to cast a sleep spell on the whole melee, Vad instead points his fingers at the two goblins assaulting Shamush and launches two magical projectiles at each.
OOC:
Casting Magic Missile using a level 2 spell slot.

Rolls

First Goblin Missile Damage - (2d4+2)

(43) + 2 = 9

Second Goblin Missile Damage - (2d4+2)

(22) + 2 = 6

Wild Magic Roll - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Mar 28, 2016 2:54 am
Two green bolts of thaumaturgical energy rocket from Vad's fingertips into Shamush's attackers, flinging them like rag dolls into the corner. The previously uninjured goblin quickly, but shakily, gets back up, but the other does not. The goblins cry out again.

"Maglubiyet a zun dur mel," the goblin boss grumbles.

Zangua is up.
Mar 28, 2016 5:01 am
As the larger target presents itself, Zangua focuses his attention on the goblin boss. He swings his handaxe across his body for the goblin's chest, following up with a pirouette and smash of the club to the head.

Zangua's legs keep moving, surging around the goblin boss to attack a third time with an uppercut chop of the axe.

Rolls

Handaxe vs Goblin Boss, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (4) + 6 = 10

1d6+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Club vs Goblin Boss, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d4+4)

1d20+6 : (14) + 6 = 20

1d4+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Action Surge Handaxe vs Goblin Boss, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (15) + 6 = 21

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Mar 28, 2016 6:20 am
With sudden, explosive movements, Zangua attacks the goblin boss. He leans out of the way of the first swing of the axe, but he isn't expecting the whirling club that dashes the helmet from his head, or the rising axe that splits his jaw. Bloodied and dazed, the goblin boss staggers backward.

But the goblins still circling Zangua move in for another round of attacks...

Edit: Two more bloody holes are poked into Zangua's legs. It's becoming difficult to stand.

Mordred and Shamush are up!

Rolls

Goblin B1 spear attack vs Zangua - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Goblin B2 spear attack vs Zangua - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Spear attack damage - (2d6+4)

(54) + 4 = 13

load next

Thread locked