Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm
"Bleeding's stopped, but my legs are out," grunts the seated Zangua in response to Shamush. "Never trained against things smaller than myself. Had to deal with dogs (the normal kind), but it's easier to deal with jaws than spears." He tries to stretch out his aching legs, still recovering from the recently-healed wounds.
Mar 29, 2016 4:00 pm
Putting the locks in his pack, Mordred cautiously opens the trunk.

ETA: Perception check for traps

An hour is enough to spend hit dice for healing, right?
Last edited March 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Rolls

Check for traps - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Mar 29, 2016 5:38 pm
Felor re-lights the glow on his spear-tip and joins Mordred to appraise the contents of the trunk.

Cast Light on spear.
Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm
Yes, Zangua can spend his healing hit dice during a one hour rest.

Satisfied there are no traps about to spring, Mordred lifts the heavy lid of the trunk. A black cloth covers the contents of the trunk. When Mordred pulls the cloth away, his breath catches.

At either end of the trunk are two smaller, lidless boxes, overflowing with coin: copper at one end, silver and gold at the other. Resting on top of the latter is a silver bowl filled with gems: four turquoise and three carnelian stones, two blue quartz crystals, two moss agates, a large black onyx, a green onyx, and a brown jasper.

Between the coin boxes is another bundle of black cloth with several objects around and on top of it: an ivory pitcher, a small case made of dark, fine-grained wood with a pastoral scene carved into the lid, a foot-tall painted statue of a human figure with a gazelle's head, a broadsword sheathed in a plain leather scabbard, and a silver hand mirror. Inside this inner cloth bundle is a shirt of bronze scale armor and a conical bronze helmet embossed all over with eyes, a scroll case made of pale wood, and a tin jewelry box engraved with exotic floral patterns.

Inside the dark wooden case are three pink glass ampoules full of liquid. The scroll case contains a papyrus scroll. The tin jewelry box holds two small bone bracelets carved with an elaborate, spidery script, a pair of red silk gloves embroidered with golden thread, a necklace of multicolored glass beads, a hematite cylinder seal that depicts a standing male figure, a flying bird, and a gazelle in repose surrounded by intricate lettering, and six simple copper rings.
Mar 29, 2016 6:22 pm
Zangua starts stretching his legs and hips, trying to slowly work out the sharp aches.

Rolls

Spending 2 HD - (2d10+6)

(82) + 6 = 16

Mar 29, 2016 6:37 pm
"Whoa. Any of this mean anything to anyone?" Mordred asks gesturing the rest of the party to take a look. "Religious or magical imagery, perhaps?" He attempts to read the lettering on the seal and the bracelets.

Can we spread this loot around amongst our packs so we can carry it all without having to drag the chest around? We could also make some Arcana/Investigation/History checks while we rest.
Last edited March 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Rolls

History/Arcana/Investigation (all the same modifier, take your pick Octo) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Mar 29, 2016 6:54 pm
OOC:
Whew, I was a little worried we were gonna find Zora's body in there.

Full post when I get home!
Mar 29, 2016 6:56 pm
Whew, I was a little worried we were gonna find Zora's body in there.

Me too, thedandyman.
Mar 29, 2016 6:56 pm
You can easily carry everything except all the coins: there's about 1,700 copper, 900 silver, and 60 gold. That all's gonna weigh you down.

Mordred has fenced some exotic imports in his day, and a lot of this stuff has a Mezian and/or Haferan look to his eyes. Some of it -- the containers, the gloves, the statue -- look like they were made within the last century at least; other items, like the armor and the cylinder seal, look like antiquities.

Edit: a reminder, here's a link to remedial Werld history.
Mar 29, 2016 7:09 pm
Mordred suggests just taking the gold and leaving the small change, unless someone else wants it.

I'll put the lot under Party Loot, but if someone feels strongly about holding something in particular, I don't mind.
Mar 29, 2016 7:14 pm
OOC:
somone should Detect Magic on this stuff!
Mar 29, 2016 7:15 pm
"If you're looking to offload this stuff, you might as well re-pack things in the trunk and drag it like those goblins did," suggests Zangua. He eyes the armor from where he sits; antiquity it might be, perhaps it's still serviceable.
OOC:
Sorry, not sure which skill would help assess whether or not the scale mail would work as scale mail.
Last edited March 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Mar 29, 2016 7:17 pm
Though it may be of ancient make, the scale mail is well-constructed and would serve perfectly well as armor. It is sized to fit a human male of average stature.
Mar 29, 2016 7:22 pm
Mordred will try on the gloves, if no one objects.
Mar 29, 2016 7:23 pm
After he gives the armor a once-over, Zangua offers to lighten the load by wearing the scale mail. "Unless someone else wants it?"
Mar 29, 2016 7:28 pm
Looking over the loot Vad will take two silver pieces and slide them into his pocket. "For a magic trick I've been working on" he explains, not ever bothering to see if anyone is paying attention. He'll then pick up one of the ampoules of pink liquid and hold it close in front of his face, inspecting it a bit.

"Wonder what this could be?" Throwing caution to the wind, he attempts to open one of the containers and take a whiff.
Last edited March 29, 2016 7:33 pm
Mar 29, 2016 7:29 pm
The gloves are a tight fit on Mordred's hands. The silk feels nice, but they're not much for keeping you warm.
Mar 29, 2016 7:30 pm
N.B. Vad: the ampoules have to be broken to be opened, and can't be resealed (unless you have some wax or something handy).
Mar 29, 2016 7:32 pm
Felor casts an eye over the stash of loot. It was quite the haul - more wealth in one place than he'd ever seen in his lifetime.

Kneeling down next to the trunk, he closes his eyes and begins a lengthy prayer to Fjorgyn - a prayer of thanks for victory in battle, and a request to assist him in identifying any items of holy purpose.

"Oh great and mighty Fjorgyn, we thank you for the blessing of victory,
We offer the blood of the slain unto you in this cavern,
And we offer you the sacrifice of our own blood in testament to our..."

His words drift off to the edge of audibility, and he continues this way for some time*.

Casting Detect Magic as a ritual, and Guidance (cantrip). Then add Guidance roll to my Arcana check.

(*11 minutes)

Rolls

Guidance - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Arcana check - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm
Not finding an actual way to open that glass container Vad will simply place it back where he found it and await the outcome of Felor's magic...
load next

Thread locked