Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm
Fjorgyn's holy light is not mere magic!
Mar 29, 2016 8:10 pm
Felor calls upon his deity to let his eyes see such items in the trunk as are magical in nature, and with her guidance, attempts to divine something of their purpose.

* The bronze armor and helmet are reinforced with metal-hardening enchantments (Scale Mail +1).
* The sword, made of copper, is engraved with a strange calligraphy similar to that on the bone bracelets, and is similarly enchanted (Short Sword +1).
* The liquids in the pink glass ampoules are surely the product of alchemical magic.
* The scroll is written in the familiar cipher of Mezian court wizards, and bears the instructions to the spell Unseen Servant.

The six copper rings bear faint traces of enchantment, but not the normal sort of robust dweomer one would detect on a magical ring. Felor can't quite suss out the implications of this.
Mar 29, 2016 8:25 pm
How do scrolls work?

It only seems right that Zangua get the pick of the loot, having taken the most punishment in the melee, and Felor is happy for him to don the bronze armour. The glass ampoules Felor guesses are perhaps some sort of healing concoction? The rings are certainly curious indeed, and Felor pockets them for later study.
rocksteady says:
Mordred suggests just taking the gold and leaving the small change, unless someone else wants it.

I'll put the lot under Party Loot, but if someone feels strongly about holding something in particular, I don't mind.
Sounds good to me. Who wants the broadsword?
Last edited March 29, 2016 8:25 pm
Mar 29, 2016 8:31 pm
In a nutshell: scroll spells can be cast directly off the scroll, one-time only, or can be transcribed into spellbooks.
Mar 29, 2016 8:33 pm
Given no objections, Zangua spends his time doffing his leather armor and donning the scale mail. "It's been too long since I've had to wear a helmet," he says while staring at it, "much less one made of metal." He rubs the scruff on his chin before securing the bucket on his head.
Mar 29, 2016 8:52 pm
Mordred will take off his fancy but non-magical gloves and try on one of the rings, if Felor is not opposed.
Mar 29, 2016 8:54 pm
It feels like an ordinary ring, as far as Mordred can tell.
Mar 29, 2016 11:07 pm
A reminder for when you're all ready to get going again: the tunnel out of the chamber you fought the goblins in goes north 30', ending in a T-intersection. The goblins came from the west branch of the intersection.
Mar 29, 2016 11:52 pm
"Shall we head for where the goblins were headed, or see where they came from?"
Mar 29, 2016 11:55 pm
I'll take the armor and helm out of Party Loot, and someone should make use of the sword.
Mar 30, 2016 12:59 am
OOC:
I don't see a description for broadswords in the PHB, but I don't think it's something I could make use of.

I'm very intrigued by the rings, but I haven't the faintest idea what they could be for. Maybe they have to be used in conjunction with something else?
Leth exhales quietly and relaxes when they open the chest to see it's stuffed with loot. He glances at the contents, but none of it interests him much, aside from the coin - and even then only the Gold seemed worth keeping up with.
Quote:
"Shall we head for where the goblins were headed, or see where they came from?"
"I'm not sure... there's a lot of different paths we could take here in this... hidden side tunnel, but none of them seem to lead towards hazard, or at least not initially. The main tunnel we were on seemed pretty promising, but... the boot prints." He sighs. "I don't much care what the goblins' business is down here, unless they could help us find Zora. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't speak goblin. So I say unless we have good reason to believe that following the goblins could help our quest, we stick to what we know. Maybe see if we can find those boot prints again, or figure out which of these passageways is more likely to lead towards Hazard?"
Mar 30, 2016 1:08 am
Bah, 5e oversimplified the weapon types! It's a short sword now.
Mar 30, 2016 1:10 am
OOC:
Hmm... well, Leth does have shortswords as a back up in case ranged fighting isn't an option. I suppose if no one else will take the sword, I could, but it could probably be put to better use by someone else.
Mar 30, 2016 1:59 am
Reading the 'short rest' rules (page 186) and trying to follow it. I guess we can roll up to three of our class hit dice and add the Con bonus for each roll, for healing? Is that right? It's kind of hilarious to me that D&D writers have to change one non-intuitive rule from the previous edition and add a new one for the current edition.
Mar 30, 2016 2:02 am
Yeah, that's how I'm reading the short rest healing rules too.
Mar 30, 2016 12:15 pm
So, going back to update the map, I noticed that we [I] never explicitly checked for square bootprints in the thimble-shaped room with multiple exits. We should probably backtrack and check it out.
Mar 30, 2016 12:24 pm
While the rest of the party completes their rest, Mordred tells them he wants to check out the thimble-shaped room, and he jogs back down the passage. Once there, he makes sure there are none of the familiar bootprints to follow.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm
OOC:
Does anyone have AC lower than 16? I have a Domain spell (i.e. it is always prepared) that sets your AC to 16 for 1 hour, just want to get a handle on who its worth using on.
Last edited March 30, 2016 12:34 pm
Mar 30, 2016 12:35 pm
Shamush looks beat after coming down off his weird combat high, his face ashen and haggard. He slumps against the wall of the tunnel and watches the party go through the loot with amused, weary curiosity. He asks to look at some of the items, more out of interest than greed and turns them over in his hands thoughtfully. "Poor buggers. They got themselves a nice stash here. Too bad they bumped into us."

Shamush is suffering from level 1 exhaustion due to the Frenzy, which means he gets disadvantage on ability checks. This lasts until he takes a long rest.
Last edited March 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Rolls

Short Rest Healing - (1d12+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Mar 30, 2016 12:38 pm
Does anyone have AC lower than 16?

Mordred is a 14 at the moment. You can click on the character pictures to get a link to their character sheet, in case you want to check the rest of the party's stats.
load next

Thread locked