Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Apr 2, 2016 11:18 am
Mordred quietly moves down the north tunnel.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Perception - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Apr 2, 2016 5:57 pm
Mordred creeps about 50' down the tunnel, listening. He can hear the general outline of the sung syllables: a sort of repetitive hum baba hum baba hum baba hum! hepa hepa hum baba bum bum bum!

That is, until he takes a bad step and rolls his ankle. The sound of his foot scraping the earth isn't loud, but it is a sound. The singing stops.

A high but male-sounding voice calls down the tunnel. "Hello? Who is there?"
Apr 3, 2016 8:05 pm
Silently, Mordred slinks back to the party to let them know he may have been heard.

Rolls

Stealthery - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Apr 3, 2016 8:12 pm
"Hello? Hello?"

A figure jogs down the tunnel, into the range of Mordred's darkvision.

It's a man, middle-aged and of average height, balding and somewhat portly. He is wearing only a loincloth.
Apr 3, 2016 10:13 pm
Mordred creates a Minor Illusion of a rat that runs out of the shadows from Mordred's location, towards the man. It "sees" him in all his glory, stops for a moment, and then darts back into the darkness past Mordred.
Apr 3, 2016 11:47 pm
The almost-naked man glances at the rat, but keeps coming. "Hello? It is only I. Ah." He waves at Mordred and company. "Good day to you all! May I inquire as to your business in the Ways this day?"
Apr 4, 2016 12:07 am
Leth sees the man and opens his mouth to speak, but closes it again. This was not something he expected to see. He looks at Mordred for a moment, and then says, "Actually, uh... we're looking for a friend of ours who we believe came down here recently. She may be lost. Have you seen any other outsiders like us down here within the past several days?" He glances at his companions to gauge their reactions, hoping it was safe to say at least that much.
Apr 4, 2016 12:10 am
Catching Leth's glance Vad simply shrugs his shoulders. "Well this is..... unexpected."
Apr 4, 2016 12:29 am
Zangua rests a hand on his throwing axe. Men wearing naught but their underwear don't exactly exude trust.
Apr 4, 2016 12:44 am
The man cocks his head as he listens to Leth. "A lost friend, well, that is troubling. It is not difficult to become lost in the Ways, that much is certain, and I'm afraid it's become more dangerous down here of late -- some infernal construct has gotten loose in the tunnels and inflicted many a casualty on the Royal Guard, and in the confusion the neighboring goblinfolk have become quite opportunistic! If I should happen to come across a lost soul, what message would you have me deliver to her?"
Apr 4, 2016 1:07 pm
Is the singing or the man's garb connected to any religious practice that I recognise?

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Apr 4, 2016 1:23 pm
"I appreciate your desire to help, sir, but I must tell you we have been beset in our quest by misinformation and dishonesty at every turn, and so you will understand that we must be cautious. Perhaps if you tell us who you are and what you are doing in the Ways we might be able to help one another."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Apr 4, 2016 1:53 pm
Felor draws on his body of knowledge of religious practices, comes up with a big ol' goose egg.

"Of course, of course," the man answers Mordred. "We have not made introductions. Forgive me. I am Everil, fifteenth King of the Ways."
Apr 4, 2016 2:17 pm
Mordred attempts to stifle his eyebrow raise. "Your Highness, it is a pleasure. My name is Mordred, of Sthombo. You'll forgive us, but my companions and I are not from this area of Bload, and our knowledge of the Badgerways is minimal at best. Perhaps you could enlighten us about the nature of your kingdom and what goes on here? We have been forced to move quickly to find our friend, and so we plunge forward without much information. A better understanding of the Ways could help us save her."

Does my Insight check tell me if he seems delusional?
Last edited April 4, 2016 2:18 pm
Apr 4, 2016 3:43 pm
Zangua lets the others speak to this man. If he is truly a king, does he have a retinue? He looks behind the group, and past the man down the tunnel.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Apr 4, 2016 4:17 pm
Putting aside the fact that he's wandering down a dark tunnel half-naked, Everil doesn't present as delusional. Zangua doesn't see anyone else behind him.

Everil smiles. "The nature of the Ways? Such a question as I ask myself every day, every night. And who am I to answer it? The Ways are naught but empty spaces in the darkness, in the earth, from the great hollows made by the Borer of Old to the vines of the kings who came before me. Its nature is only that of those who inhabit it, even if only for a little time. What is the nature of the Ways, you ask? I ask you in turn: what is your nature?" He pauses for a moment, then waves off his own question with a chuckle. "You don't have to answer that, of course. Your concern is for your missing friend, I understand. Again, nothing would please me more than to deliver a message of good hope to her if her path and mine should cross. May I ask, what is her name?"
Apr 4, 2016 9:02 pm
"Her name is Zora Kells, and she may be in the company of a ranger named Kligson. He is from Grine's Knot and wears this cloak." He shows Everil the picture of Zora and the cloak given to them by Harmon Koal. "Based on when she was last seen, we must assume she is well ahead of us, so if you see her before we do, any message would be worthless. That said, we have reason to believe she was headed towards Hazard, and if you could tell us how to get there quickly and safely, we would be obliged."

I'm not totally sure we can trust a dude in a loincloth, but I figure the slim chance of actionable intel is worth the risk of betrayal, given how little we have to work with now.
Last edited April 4, 2016 9:05 pm
Apr 4, 2016 9:26 pm
"Zora Kells," Everil repeats. He looks carefully at the picture, and at the cloak. He runs the hem between his fingers and looks Mordred in the eyes for a long beat.

"My friend, there are few values we hold as dear in the Ways as discretion. People come here to hide, and we do not give them away to their pursuers. You understand me? But discretion...is a privilege reserved for the living." He sighs. "The man Kligson is dead. One of my people found him a few days ago, in the passage from the Well of Johasedar, cut down by the construct I spoke of. Do you know of it? One of my guard survived an encounter with the thing yesterday. It calls itself 'the Implacable.' And it was not far from here where it was last seen. Now, as to your friend -- you and your party are welcome here, but I know you not. I cannot yet trust your intentions. Should I see this...Zora Kells...I would convey a message to her from you. Do you understand me?" He smiles. "Now, if you only want to go on ahead to Hazard, I can help you with that. I may even be able to procure you a guide."
Apr 4, 2016 9:56 pm
"I think I do understand. If you ever see Zora and tell her her friend Mordred was looking for her, and that he should have stayed with her after he helped her leave Sthombo through the sewers, she would be very interested in that information. You could tell her that Mordred and other friends of her father search these tunnels for her even now. And yes, unless that message reaches her very soon, we must move on to Hazard, so a guide would be very useful."
Apr 4, 2016 10:05 pm
Everil nods slowly. "Very good. If you would follow me, I will see about finding a guide for you." He turns sideways and tilts his head down the north end of the tunnel.
load next

Thread locked