Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Apr 4, 2016 10:17 pm
Leth contemplates speaking for several moments, but decides against it. If he was understanding what Everil was implying correctly, then he knows more about Zora than he's saying. Perhaps he even knows where she is at this moment... but to protect her, had declined to tell them. And as frustrating as that notion was - to be so close to the person they had searched so long for and then denied information about her - Leth could understand why he would be so protective. The construct - this... Implacable - was here searching for her as well, after all, and he could have no way to be certain that they truly were friends to Zora. So instead of speaking, he simply moves to follow the strange man through the tunnels.
OOC:
Should we ask him about the crown symbol? He seems like he might know a thing or two about a thing or two.
Apr 4, 2016 11:59 pm
Yeah, we might as well give him a full exposition dump at this point.
Apr 5, 2016 12:04 am
Are you all following him north? What, exactly, do you want to ask or tell him?
Apr 5, 2016 12:08 am
Zangua will follow the group, hanging a bit back from the main and the man. He looks over the man's body to see signs of labor, easy living, or general condition for clues as to the man's occupation.

Rolls

Perception to inspect man - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Apr 5, 2016 12:33 am
Zangua observes that Everil is very pale, somewhat overweight and lacking muscle tone. His feet and hands are dirty, his nails and beard untrimmed. He has several faded but noticeable scars on his back, arms, and legs.
Apr 5, 2016 8:27 am
"Friend, this infernal construct that has caused much strife hereabouts - do you have any more information about it? You say one of your guard survived a battle with the thing; were they able to damage it in any way? Does it have any weaknesses?"
Apr 5, 2016 3:35 pm
Zangua frowns, almost expecting that this king and his men are an outcast merchant and his merry cadre of rats. He keeps his thoughts to himself.
Apr 5, 2016 3:39 pm
Mordred follows the man, and waves the others along as well, but if anyone wants to hang back, he won't object. "We should tell you that we believe the construct also searches for Zora, on behalf of a shadowy cult known only to us by their sigil. Have you seen the mark of a six-pointed crown here in the Ways?"
Apr 5, 2016 4:11 pm
Everil leads the party north, where the tunnel widens on its east side, forming a right-triangle-shaped space about 20' wide at the north end. The east, angled wall is covered in scratches. The tunnel continues north through this room, with side tunnels leading out of the west and east corners. Everil takes the west tunnel.

As he walks, he answers your questions. "From what I've been told, the construct is made of animate bronze. It has the power of speech, and wields a cruel pole-weapon. It took blows from my guard, but as to whether or not it suffered damage, we cannot say."

The west tunnel starts to veer north after about 50'. Everil listens to Mordred's question. "I can't seem to recall seeing such a sigil. A cult, you say? Seeking after your Zora Kells? Strange that a girl only newly arrived into womanhood should attract such dangerous interest as she has. You spoke of her father...can you tell me anything about this man? My curiosity is aroused."
Apr 5, 2016 4:14 pm
Hanging back as he follows the group, Zangua scowls and briefly hopes that nothing else of the man is aroused.
Apr 5, 2016 4:22 pm
"Zora's father was a good man executed for a crime he did not commit. A victim of some foul plot, the details of which we are still trying to unravel. We suspect those who orchestrated this plot are the same who pursue Zora now." Felor pauses for a moment, then a question springs to mind. "Tell me, what are these scratches on the tunnel walls? We have seen them in many places hereabouts."
Apr 5, 2016 4:26 pm
"Hmm? Oh...well, there are creatures in the Ways who have need to scratch, on occasion. That's all it is." After going west-by-northwest for about 60', the tunnel reaches a four-way intersection. Everil takes the south tunnel. "Wrongly executed? How terrible. What crime was the man accused of?"
Apr 5, 2016 4:33 pm
Shamush follows along, occasionally glancing behind the party, not trusting that something won't creep out of the shadows to pounce. He smiles as Everil speaks, taken with the odd, little man. He listens for now as the others relay the story of their mission.
Apr 5, 2016 4:39 pm
"Wrongly executed? How terrible. What crime was the man accused of?"

"As Felor says, the details remain unclear, though we believe he was framed for some sort of grand theft."

I don't want to mention the Sphere just yet. If he proves trustworthy about Zora, then we can tell him, but he's asking a lot of questions right now.
Apr 5, 2016 4:51 pm
The south tunnel runs about 50' then starts to curve sharply to the west. "I see. So this man was framed and executed in Sthombo. and his daughter...Zora Kells...fled the city, with your help, and the cult you suspect of framing him is in avid pursuit of Zora. And you believe she was bound for Hazard. Your objective is to secure the safety of your friend, is it not? Should you find her, what is your plan to achieve that? Do you know of a place where this cult cannot reach her?" He stops walking and turns. "There are six of you, and a motley lot you make. How did you all come together? These two --" he nods at Zangua and Shamush -- "they have not the look of Sthombons. Are you all known to Zora? If you should come upon you, will she know that none of you are an arm of the cult come to take grasp of her?"
Apr 5, 2016 4:54 pm
"Well, you don't have the look of a king," says Zangua. "I guess we're all struggling with appearances, eh?"
Apr 5, 2016 5:00 pm
Everil gives Zangua a crooked smile. "You have me there. But to my larger point: there may be no safer place for our Zora Kells than in the Ways, if the construct can be dealt with. Even now, it has not managed to penetrate the borders of my royal sanctum. But it would help me to know more about the nature of the threat that reaches into my kingdom. Surely one among you must have some understanding or theory about why the cult seeks this girl."
Apr 5, 2016 5:05 pm
"Zora and I have been friends since childhood. She knows me as well as anyone in the Werld. Leth, Felor and Vad here were close with her father, and were known to her well. These two gentlemen we have met along the way, and they know not Zora, but they have earned our trust and our gratitude, and that will be enough for Zora.

I understand your need for secrecy here in the underwerld. I am a respected member of the Sthombo Theives' Guild - in no small part due to Zora's influence - so I appreciate your reticence, but I beg you, if you know Zora's whereabouts, bring us to her now, and she will be grateful.

She is sought because this cult believes her to have knowledge of whatever was stolen. Before we can deliver her to safety we must get a full account of what happened to her father from her, only then will we know how to handle the threat against her."
Last edited April 5, 2016 5:07 pm
Apr 5, 2016 5:10 pm
Everil gives Mordred a long look. "I believe you," he says. "But I have been deceived before by men I believed, who did far more to earn my trust than you have. So let us make a fair trade in small honesties, then. Tell me what was stolen and why Zora Kells wants so badly to go to Hazard, and...I will tell you a thing that I know."

Edit: modified dialogue in response to Mordred's edit
Apr 5, 2016 5:19 pm
Zangua turns to Shamush and says, in a low voice with a touch of sarcasm, "A king and a merchant. Fun." He considers that the group already gave up a few honesties, but perhaps this man does not know they spoke the truth, so Zangua keeps his face impassive.
load next

Thread locked