Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Apr 5, 2016 5:31 pm
Do we know why Zora is headed for Hazard?
Apr 5, 2016 5:36 pm
Not sure if you guys have any conjecture as to why, but you don't have solid info on why she's headed there, no.
Apr 5, 2016 5:41 pm
OOC:
We were told that Zora wanted to go there because she felt "she'd only be safe when she got to Hazard". Our goal in getting to Hazard was just to find Zora. If we find her before she gets there and can find out what she's really up to, we don't necessarily have to go to Hazard.

And we're not (or I'm not, at least) 100% sure Edvers wasn't involved at least in some capacity with the disappearance of the Sphere, which I think is a large part of the reason we want to find her. We need to know what really happened and what's really going on here.
Last edited April 5, 2016 5:43 pm
Apr 5, 2016 5:45 pm
So do we tell His Royal Loincloth about the Sphere?
Last edited April 5, 2016 5:46 pm
Apr 5, 2016 5:47 pm
OOC:
I think it's worth a shot. And we should be clear we don't know Zora's intentions, only that she felt she would be safe in Hazard. We're only looking for her because we're afraid for her safety - which includes hopefully finding out why exactly she is being hunted.
Apr 5, 2016 5:50 pm
From his position, Zangua observes the king and attempts to gauge his sincerity.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Apr 5, 2016 5:53 pm
He definitely seems sincere in his interest in learning more about Zora.
Apr 5, 2016 5:54 pm
Mordred will give him another hard eyeball as well.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Apr 5, 2016 5:58 pm
He definitely seems sincere in his interest in learning more about Zora.

That's what I'm afraid of...

"It seems the Iron Sphere of Sthombo is missing. From what we know of the Kells family, it is impossible they are implicated, and yet Edvers paid for it with his head. Now, if I may speak bluntly, Your Majesty, you know nearly as much as we do, and yet you have given us little in return. Please tell us what you know of Zora and the construct."
Apr 5, 2016 5:59 pm
Mordred gets the sense that he knows more than he's letting on...but he does have a point about having no real reason to trust you.
Apr 5, 2016 6:10 pm
Everil raises an eyebrow. "Given you little? Come along, then. I am sorry that we cannot walk faster, but the guide that I promised you still awaits. But you have not told me why she desires so urgently to reach Hazard." He starts walking again. Once the curve in the tunnel straightens out, you're headed west again. "I have told you all I know of the construct. As for Zora Kells...indeed, I have good cause to believe that she is here in the Ways. And I question why anyone should believe she would be safer out of here, least of all in that iniquitous city. Even to get there from here, she would have to leave the boundaries of my kingdom and travel through a far less orderly and savory region of the underground."

After about 40', the tunnel starts to change. No longer a smooth, packed-earth bore, the ground becomes rocky, the walls and ceiling rough and uneven. You can see a thick wooden support beam ahead, evidence of a cave-in repaired. As well, it no longer follows a perfectly straight path, but begins to meander.

"I think you should agree with me that the wisest course of action for our Zora Kells is not to continue on to the wicked city of Hazard, but to remain here, where the cult cannot reach her, even as it sends a mechano-magical being specifically made for such purpose to retrieve her! I would hope that, if you were to speak with her, you would impress upon her the importance of remaining here, where she can be kept safe. Your efforts would be better spent thwarting the cult on the Werld's surface, rather than leading her out into greater danger, would you not agree?"
Apr 5, 2016 6:34 pm
"You may be right, Your Majesty, but Zora will go where she chooses." He places his hand on the hilt of his rapier and shoots a meaningful glance at his companions, "Be sure that we will counsel her to remain safe, but we will support her decision, whatever it may be, in any way necessary."
Last edited April 5, 2016 6:34 pm
Apr 5, 2016 6:40 pm
Mordred's gesture towards his rapier does not go unnoticed by Everil. "I understand you," he says with a sidelong glance. "I understand you very clearly."

The walk continues as a somewhat awkward silence descends. After following the rough stretch of tunnel about 80', it starts a long curve toward the south. At one point in the curve, you reach a double set of support beams, and Everil stops. He presses his finger into a knothole in the wood, and the pair of beams slide out of the tunnel wall. Everil slips into the newly-revealed entrance and gestures for the party to follow.
Apr 5, 2016 6:58 pm
Anything interesting or notable out this area of tunnel? Footprints?

Rolls

Perception skill check - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Apr 5, 2016 7:00 pm
Other than its overall terrain difference from the previous tunnels, nothing jumps out to Felor's eyes.
Apr 5, 2016 7:09 pm
Should I assume everybody is OK with following Everil into the secret passage?
Apr 5, 2016 7:17 pm
I mean, Imma do it, but I'm not exactly OK with it.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Apr 5, 2016 7:20 pm
Nothing comes of that Perception roll...

The tunnel beyond the secret door is rough like the one it connects to, but narrower.

And it goes on for a long, long time. In the absences of conversation, Everil starts quietly singing to himself again. You follow the tunnel on a meandering westward path for more than half a mile, and still it stretches on...

Any other questions for Everil while you're walking?
Apr 5, 2016 10:57 pm
OOC:
He's our best lead at the moment, honestly.

"To be clear, even we don't know why Zora wants to go to Hazard. It may very well be that the Ways are the safest place for her to be. We simply won't know until we talk to her." Leth says, trying to ease the tension a bit. "Besides, if this... Implacable is down here as well, it's probably only a matter of time before it finds her. We just want to be sure she is protected when that happens. Can you offer her that? Are you capable of defending against this... thing?"
Apr 5, 2016 11:34 pm
"So far it has only struck against my Royal Guard in the tunnels, one-on-one. My sanctum is fortified. Lacking an organic mind, the construct will never be able figure out the secret ways to reach it. And I am confident that once I am able to learn the patterns of its behavior and lure it into a trap, I will be able to destroy it."

As you walk, you hear that sound again: the distant bells, considerably louder and clearer now, though still muffled. Everil lifts his head at the sound and clucks his tongue. "Yes, yes, I know, I know," he mutters.

Last chance for questions before you arrive at your next destination...
load next

Thread locked