Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
Apr 28, 2016 12:14 pm
"I think we all could, Vad, but I'm not convinced we've left either The Implacable or Everil behind far enough to take one."
Apr 28, 2016 12:49 pm
"I don't know if we'll ever leave that damnable construct far enough behind. If Everil and his trolls can't destroy it, we'll have to devise a method of our own." Felor furrows his brow. "Maybe some kind of trap..."
Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm
"The Squalid Sett has a queen, I guess," Zora says. "Everil had a lot of names for her: Queen of Rot, Lady of Filth, things like that. Mostly he didn't like talking about the Sett, though. Only brought it up to tell me how sorry I'd be if I ever wandered into it."

Zangua stops, turns his head. His glance passes over Leth and he can tell from the ranger's expression that he heard it too: echoes of a heavy thunk and a scrape on gravel, somewhere in the blackness of the cavern far behind them.
Apr 28, 2016 4:02 pm
"Happy you all are catching up," interrupts Zangua, "but I think it's time we got moving. Don't care where we go, just so we go, y'know?"
Apr 28, 2016 5:04 pm
Leth glances backwards for a moment, and nods. "Yeah... let's keep going. I'm pretty sure I just heard something back there, and I'd rather not wait for it to catch up to us. We can talk while we move." (Though... I think we may have already been doing that? :/ not entirely sure.)

"So to be clear, you don't know anything about the Crown Cult that's chasing us, or what your father's connection was to them? Or what's waiting for you in Hazard?"
He asks once they get going again.
Last edited April 28, 2016 5:34 pm
Apr 28, 2016 5:33 pm
Octo, based on the damage we (mostly Everil, yes) did to the Implacable before, does Mordred have the sense that it's badly hurt, or did we just scratch the surface?

Rolls

Insight (If that helps?) - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Apr 28, 2016 6:20 pm
Everil got some good hits in but the Implacable wasn't, like, smoking or leaking oil or falling apart or anything, so it's hard to say what % of HP got taken off. And yes, you guys are walking and talking.

"What were his words...he woke me up before sunrise, told me to dress right away, that I had to go into Sthombo with the morning traffic and make myself ready for a long journey alone. He said this society he belonged to, years ago, made him steal the Iron Sphere, but that that was all they could make him do...they could make him steal it, but he wasn't going to give it to them. He said it was 'safe from them.' And he told me he was going to be arrested, and he showed me the six-pronged crown, and he said that was their sign, and he said they were very dangerous and that they'd be after me to try to find the Sphere, and that I had to get to Hazard as quickly as I could, without anyone seeing me, and that I had to deliver that tile to..." she trails off. "...To, uh, the owner of a trading company who supposedly will know what it means and what to do about it."

She walks in silence for a moment, pulling herself up an incline using a thick stalagmite for a handhold.

"He said one last thing, just before I left Greenbower. And, I don't know why exactly, but something about the way he said it...it scared me. He said, 'Zora, you have to do this. You have to reach Hazard before they find you. I think you are the woman in the last dream of Mirza Horgul.' And he kissed me on the forehead and told me 'go, now!' and...that was it. I went. I didn't even dare stop and ask him what it meant." She turns to look at you all. "Do any of you know?"
Apr 28, 2016 6:26 pm
Do I?

EDIT: No. No I do not.
Last edited April 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Rolls

History/Religion/Arcana (all the modifier) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Apr 28, 2016 6:27 pm
Zangua idly thinks about the name, while splitting his attention with the surrounding area listening for heavy footsteps.

Rolls

History - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Apr 28, 2016 7:29 pm
Leth ponders the name.
OOC:
(Edit: I have no idea where I got +5 from. That's supposed to be a +2. So a total of 9, not 12. Sorry :P)
Last edited April 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Rolls

History - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Apr 28, 2016 9:45 pm
"Doesn't sound familiar..."
OOC:
Ok, maybe it does.
Last edited April 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Rolls

History - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Apr 28, 2016 10:28 pm
Mirza Horgul?

Vad knows that name. It's been a long time, to be sure, but years ago, over a pot of perpetual stew at a roadside inn, a fellow sorcerer he'd chanced to meet had told him all about a particular obsession of his: an obscure prophet and seer who'd lived in Hazard in distant antiquity, whose writings caused quite a stir several hundred years after his death, when it was noticed that certain major events in the Werld seemed to have been foretold by his cryptic prophecies.

Mirza Horgul.

The sorcerer had shared some details of the prophet's life and the particular visions that came to pass, but Vad couldn't remember any of those now, just that eventually the prophetic hits stopped coming and Mirza Horgul fell back into obscurity. Nearly a century had passed since then, and only a handful of scholars and believers kept his memory and writings alive now.

Late into the night and into his cups, Vad had been offered the chance to examine a rare volume of Horguliana that the sorcerer was especially proud to own, and Vad politely declined. A small thing, it seemed at the time, but he can't help but regret it now...
Apr 28, 2016 10:34 pm
"...or maybe... YES! I've heard of this Mirza Horgul!" Vad blurts and then relays what he knows to the rest of the party.
Apr 28, 2016 11:01 pm
Zora looks nonplussed. "That's...unexpected," she says. "Dad never had anything good to say about so-called prophets."

You all hear a metallic scrape and a clunk, clunk, clunk sound coming from somewhere behind you.
Apr 29, 2016 12:25 am
Based on our path through the tunnels, is it surprising The Implacable seems to be tracking us with ease, or are we taking an obvious path? I'm wondering if we could try to lose it or hide from it, or if it seems to have some sort of magical tracking ability.
Last edited April 29, 2016 1:38 am
Apr 29, 2016 1:15 am
Shamush leans on the wall a moment and glances back down the tunnel. He sighs, and asks the others, "So how come Everil was able to put a dent in that thing and our steel did nothing? Any ideas?" He spits and continues, "Not used to assholes shrugging off my club."
Apr 29, 2016 2:13 am
"I'm gonna guess magic, or some kind of spirit thing," says Zangua, almost monotone. "Maybe the fact that he could shapeshift means he's got some kind of otherworldly power behind his claws. Certainly wasn't his charming personality, otherwise we'd have taken that thing's head off between the two of us."
Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am
"Aye, certainly appears if mundane weaponry has no effect," surmises Felor as they move through the cave attempting to stay ahead of the construct, "Perhaps only magic - or magical beings - can harm it. Leth's sword, Everill's claws, Vad's sorcerous magics." He pauses for breath. "But if it's close enough now that we can hear it, perhaps we should devise some method of destroying or trapping it for good. Zora, do you know how much further we have to go to reach Hazard?"
OOC:
As far as I can think, our options are:
- Set up an ambush (I have only 1 spell slot left that could be guiding bolt or a heal, my other powers (turn undead and charm plants/animals) aren't much use at the moment)
- Try and lose it somehow (trap it? make a false trail? Slow it down enough to gain some distance?)
- Keep going to Hazard and hope it doesn't catch us before then.
Thoughts?
A reminder of some misc items we have of potential use: Unseen Servant scroll, mystery red vial, mystery pink vials, mystery faintly-magical copper rings.
Apr 29, 2016 4:06 pm
Based on what happened at Five Stones, it seems like the Implacable has, a the very least, some special ability to track Zora.

Zora makes a face. "I don't think we're all that close to Hazard yet."

You are currently in the middle of a wide-open cavern and are heading south. You could theoretically proceed in any direction. If the sounds you're hearing are the Implacable, it's a few hundred yards behind you.
Apr 29, 2016 9:44 pm
OOC:
An ambush would be cool, but the only thing Vad can supply would be a web and some magic missile spells. Any one have a way to digging a big pit?
load next

Thread locked