Chapter Three: The Last Dream of Mirza Horgul

load previous
May 3, 2016 11:59 pm
Zangua hears it coming, and throws up his arm just in time...

...to deny Advantage on this roll.

Edit: A sudden, sharp tearing sound breaks the silence, and Zora doubles over, falling into a seated position on the ground...

Edit 2: ...she sits there, stunned, clutching her side. You can hear the Implacable moving again, rapidly approaching.

Everybody roll for Initiative.

Edit 3: Note for the auditors, I used the wrong to-hit modifier on the Implacable's dart attack. Still would have hit, though.

Rolls

Projectile attack from out of the darkness vs Zora - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Zora CON saving throw - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage to Zora - (1d3)

(2) = 2

The Implacable initiative - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Zora initiative - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

May 4, 2016 12:14 am
Zangua kneels at Zora's side to check on her condition and whether or not she can be moved.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

May 4, 2016 12:24 am
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

May 4, 2016 12:26 am
Game over man! Game over!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

May 4, 2016 1:49 am
Trying to remain hidden (he assumes he's hidden) Vad ducks down and readies himself.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

May 4, 2016 4:41 am
Leth curses at the foiled plan and prepares for battle.
OOC:
sorry, been real busy the past couple days

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

May 4, 2016 8:32 am
Felor grips his spear, adrenaline shooting through him has he wracks his brains trying to think how they can defeat this thing.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

May 4, 2016 12:35 pm
Looks like Mordred's first, and since I may be busy today, I'm just going to go.

From his hiding place, Mordred waits until The Implacable comes into view, and then lets a Fire Bolt loose at it's back.

The rules appear to suggest that a Rogue cannot add Sneak Attack damage to a spell attack, but I'm going to include a roll for it and let you make a ruling, PBO. I also have a reaction to taking damage I'm planning to use, so if The Implacable hits me on its turn, I will use Hellish Rebuke on it:
Quote:
You point your finger, and the creature that damaged you is momentarily surrounded by hellish flames. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 3d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Last edited May 4, 2016 12:36 pm

Rolls

Fire Bolt - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Fire Bolt (Advantage - attack from stealth) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Fire Bolt Damage (& Sneak Attack bonus) - (1d10, 1d6)

1d10 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (6) = 6

Hellish Rebuke Damage - (3d10)

(444) = 12

May 4, 2016 1:11 pm
OOC:
NICE. (apart from the 1 roll, haha)
May 4, 2016 1:30 pm
Yeah, really hoping Octo lets me add in that sneak attack...
May 4, 2016 4:58 pm
Turn order!

Tier 1: Mordred
Tier 2: The Implacable
Tier 3: Felor, Leth, Zangua
Tier 4: Zora
Tier 5: Shamush, Vad

Zangua kneels for a quick assessment of Zora's condition. There's a small, barbed bronze dart embedded in her left side, just above the hip. She seems awake and lucid, just stunned at the surprise attack.

Seconds later, the Implacable runs into the illuminated area around the party (I'm just going with Felor's continued spearlight here), dented and gouged in places and covered in blood spatter, but evidently still functioning at full capacity. It passes Mordred's stalagmite cover in a dead sprint towards Zora, and the tiefling springs up from his cover and looses a bolt of flame straight into the construct's back.

I'm not gonna tell you if the sneak attack bonus applied or not :)

The Implacable skids to a dead stop, swivels its head around, and takes a few steps backward toward Mordred as it quickly pivots its body and thrusts its catchpole out in a straight line toward Mordred's neck...

Edit: Mordred, your plan is to use Hellish Rebuke on your next turn? I'm going to need you to roll both DEX and CON saving throws, but Felor, Leth, and Zangua can take their turns while we're waiting for those results.

Rolls

Implacable special catchpole attack vs Mordred - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Damage - (1d10+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

May 4, 2016 5:28 pm
Zangua takes a quick moment to determine if the barb can be removed, by knife if necessary. "Can you move?" he asks Zora. "Because if you can, let's."
OOC:
I'll take my action to either to remove the barb, or assist Zora in fleeing. Not sure how much can be done depending on my roll and the round.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

May 4, 2016 5:29 pm
Edit: Mordred, your plan is to use Hellish Rebuke on your next turn?

It's a Reaction to taking damage, so I think it happens outside of my regular turn.
Quote:
Reactions
Certain special abilities, spells, and situations allow you to take a special action called a reaction. A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind and can occur on your turn or on someone else’s.
So Ol' Impy will have to make a DEX Save as part of his turn, if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Rolls

DEX Save - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

CON Save - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 4, 2016 5:56 pm
Got it, had to read up on that a bit. Both your saving throws were successful, so nothing else happens. You take a cut on the clavicle from the catchpole.

Zangua deftly removes the dart from Zora's side. A trickle of green fluid drains out of the tip. He helps her to stand; her knees wobble a bit but she regains her footing and her composure quickly.

Edit: I calculate Mordred's spell DC for Hellish Rebuke as 12, so the Implacable would have made a successful save and takes half damage.

Leth, Felor, you're up.

Rolls

Implacable DEX saving throw - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 4, 2016 10:06 pm
Felor bolts towards the construct with his shield up and spear jabbing forward - but what initially appears to be a headlong charge is merely a feint designed to distract his opponent.

Using Help to assist Leth's attack - he gets Advantage on his next attack roll.
May 5, 2016 5:20 am
Leth glances at the "new" magical sword in his right hand, mirrored by his own regular sword in his left. Here goes nothing... He thinks to himself as he steps forward and swings both weapons at the metal creature.
OOC:
"+1 Shortsword" means I add one to both the attack roll and damage roll, right?
Also, I'm not sure if Felor's advantage applies to both attacks or just the first one, so I'll roll both just in case.
Last edited May 5, 2016 5:21 am

Rolls

Magic Sword Attack!!! (With Advantage) - Piercing - (1d20+6, 1d20+6, 1d6+4)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d20+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Regular Sword Attack :/ (Maybe also with advantage? If not just take the first d20 roll) - Piercing - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d6)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d6 : (4) = 4

May 5, 2016 11:46 am
Can I make a Perception check to try and determine if the construct is taking more damage from piercing damage vs bludgeoning damage?
Last edited May 5, 2016 11:46 am

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

May 5, 2016 8:03 pm
Leth swooshes just shy of the Implacable with his first swing, but connects a solid blow with the second...a blow that leaves his arm tingling from the impact and seems to harm the Implacable not at all.

Felor, it doesn't look like there's much difference to you.

Zora runs away from the Implacable in a direction that draws his attention away from where Vad is hiding.

Shamush, Vad, you're up. Vad has Advantage on his next action.
May 6, 2016 12:27 am
Raising both hands towards the Implacable, Vad summons a large mass of webbing, hoping to restrain it.
OOC:
Web spell, centered on the Implacable.
May 6, 2016 3:10 pm
Shamush rushes in swinging his club and yelling, harrying the thing and trying to help Leth land a blow with the magic sword.

Assisting Leth to give him advantage.
load next

Thread locked