Looking for french speakers

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 2, 2020 4:15 pm
I should have done this before... but motivation was (understandably) lacking ...
Now I am afraid I am reduced to... learning french 🤣

I really need to put some effort in learning some proper french, including putting those damned verbs and propositions in the right place :D so ... I was wondering if there is anyone out there interested in starting a short french game for dummies ;) Not much I can offer in return besides some bad sentence structure and random verb tenses :D
Apr 2, 2020 4:16 pm
You literally already speak some weird slavic sounding version of French. What else do you need xD
Apr 2, 2020 4:17 pm
Try Duolingo, a cell phone app. It's pretty decent.
Apr 2, 2020 4:18 pm
If we're recommending language learning apps, I prefer memrise
Apr 2, 2020 4:39 pm
Yeah, verbs and propositions can be a pain in the ass in my native language, aka French.

I could set up a game in french, but are you sure about that ? It would be probably more efficient to go for an app like duolingo, and to watch some series' episodes in french (i have some in mind about tabletop rpg actual play series).
Last edited April 2, 2020 4:43 pm
Apr 2, 2020 4:48 pm
Look, yelling the words roll, attack, and death at French strangers is really important, okay?

In all seriousness though, if you do run a game, I might be interested to participate if it wouldn't make you go crazy to have to run it. learning a new language is fun.
Last edited April 2, 2020 4:48 pm
Apr 2, 2020 4:53 pm
PBP games for language learners sound like a really fun idea actually!
If there's more interest for something like that, we could set up a thread to connect people with language matches... Depending on how rare/common a language is, some people might be able to find a group or 1on1 game that way
Apr 2, 2020 5:04 pm
Never ever i have considerer before learning Esperanto through a rpg game O_o

You're really interested in a french game here ?
Apr 2, 2020 5:05 pm
I know a friend of mine and I used to text back in forth in Chinese (Mandarin). Not because either of us were fluent but because our wives aren't fluent in copy and paste into Google translate technology.
Apr 2, 2020 5:49 pm
I'm a French-Canadian here. Can give you a hand... In fact, my Urban Shadows game has been made bilingual...
Apr 2, 2020 6:09 pm
Urban Shadows ?
Apr 2, 2020 8:44 pm
Thanks for the tips. I actually did duo and mem already ;)

hey kalajel, how long has that been running for? Not sure a bilingual would work 🤔I just need something that will force me to practice french instead of lazily defaulting to something else all the time :D Really need to make that switch and think in french. If you need a new PC to play an exotic foreigner that tries to speak the language and misunderstand a fair good amount of things let me know (though I don't think I've played PbtA yet) ;) Do canadians do the weird four twenties and eleven thing? 😂😂

Otherwise, I'm up for any simple game that forces me use french, even if it is just fetching some cheese for grandma ;)
Last edited April 2, 2020 8:45 pm
Apr 2, 2020 8:53 pm
@Kalajel: i'd be curious to know the pitch of your Urban Shadow too.

@CESN: Otherwise, i could think of two games to run in french, both motorized by Fate Core.
An adaptation of the Harbinger Comics, set in the first years of existence of the Harada Global Conglomerates.
Or The Secrets of Cats.
And in French then, or bilingual.
Last edited April 2, 2020 8:54 pm
Apr 2, 2020 8:55 pm
I do not know any but... The Secrets of Cats? A sure winner!
Apr 2, 2020 9:06 pm
Harbinger is the perfect point halfway between Marvel and The Boys, having Toyo Harada being the first of the next evolution of the human species with psychic powers.

He lived through the second World War, especially with the nuclear bombs, and came to the conclusion that humanity may eventually destroy itself, Harada decided early in his life to preserve the planet by clandestinely conquering it. To this end, he established the Harbinger Foundation, shadow of the HGC, to recruit others with paranormal abilities.
Apr 2, 2020 9:28 pm
@ CESN: The game has been running for little over a year now, maybe like 15 months or so. There was a period of time where it looked it would die as I lost two players in succession, but several months later found replacements so I was able to revive it.

@ Delio: Well, since the players create the plot thanks to the Start of Session move (long to explain, kind of best to actually experience it), I don't really have any pitch... I guess that I could describe the current storm as the players having solved the problems of a bunch of werewolves beating people up at random, an exiled fey prince organizing a coup to unseat his two sisters, the local police force hiring a special firm to apprehend supernaturals, and a dragon working on a ritual which could plunge the whole city into chaos...

If any of you are interested, here's the game page.
Last edited April 2, 2020 9:42 pm
Apr 2, 2020 9:40 pm
Woaw, sounds a bit chaotic, no? :)

Well, CESN you have here a game in french, and i could set up a game about psychics or about cats if you're up for it.

Tell us :)
Apr 2, 2020 9:41 pm
Depends on what the players came up with, but yes, the first storm was a bit chaotic...
Apr 2, 2020 10:38 pm
French-Canadian here also, if you have any questions or if I can help you with anything feel free to pm me on discord !
Apr 2, 2020 10:44 pm
deadpool_qc says:
French-Canadian here also (...)
Ah, I was wondering about that "qc" in your name... :D
Apr 3, 2020 8:37 am
Delio says:
Well, CESN you have here a game in french, and i could set up a game about psychics or about cats if you're up for it
I had a quick look at Kalajel's game description and that sounds interesting, though likely a totally new set of french I wouldn't use with a neighbour ;) How is a player limit (archetypes) at this time? I can imagine a random "tourist" dropping in Montreal for one reason or another.

@Delio, not sure what's Falconloft's level, but if we get some more people we could start something basic! I feel cats will have more practical french than psychics, though it may be a bit more limiting :D

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TautVeneratedBettong-size_restricted.gif
Apr 3, 2020 8:47 am
Okay, i'll look for Secrets of Cats in French. Blessing i got my hands on it just a few days ago :)
Apr 3, 2020 9:13 am
Too bad French isn't really on my list. Otherwise I love this concept.
If someone opens up a game in Polish, I would jump on it immediately.
And I guess if someone wants to practice German, I could help with that ;)
Apr 3, 2020 2:46 pm
@ CESN: The first storm is pretty much over and I could start a second storm, especially if I have a new player joining. Also, Ironically enough, aside from TheVagrant's character (who is also a RL friend of mine), every other character came from outside of Québec and are all relatively new-comers to Montréal. As for available archetypes, we currently have a Vamp, a Dragon, an Immortal, and a Mage. Though, the Mage player has been rather absent lately (she has good reasons). I could ask her if she plans on continuing playing with us, and if she cannot, it would free up the Mage archetype...
Last edited April 3, 2020 2:46 pm
Apr 3, 2020 3:39 pm
I got a bunch of out-of-print French Call of Cthulhu scenarios for my birthday this year. I've toyed with running them, but always assuming I'd translate to English. Maybe I should rethink that? :) It won't be anytime soon, though, unfortunately.
Apr 3, 2020 3:42 pm
It seems vamp and mage are missing from the game description but both dragon and immortal sound good. Just to be clear. I don't know the system as well 😅
Last edited April 3, 2020 3:43 pm
Apr 3, 2020 5:00 pm
The Vamp and Mage are missing because they are in the basic game and can also be obtained for free in the intro package which was made for that game. The other archetypes you need to pay to get, why I added a basic description for them on the game's page. As for the system, it's Powered by the Apocalypse. So basically, game mechanics tend to take a bit of a backseat to narration and storytelling. In fact, when you roll, you do it for narration control.

About 90% of the mechanics is when you use a move you roll 2d6+appropriate stats.
- On a 6-, you miss and the GM gets to narrate what happens to your character.
- On a 7-9, you succeed, but at a cost or with some complications, and you narrate what that looks like.
- On a 10+, you succeed in doing exactly what you set out to do, and you narrate what that looks like.
There are some exceptions, in that a few rare moves let the GM narrate even when you succeed, and many moves have a list of complications or costs you need to prick from when you roll a 7-9, advancing moves for an even better results on a 12+, etc. but that's pretty much the game in a nutshell...
Apr 3, 2020 5:04 pm
Oh, PbtA :o

What are the archetype still available ?
Apr 3, 2020 5:29 pm
Aware
Fae
Hallowed
Hunter
Oracle
Revenant
Scholar
Spectre
Tainted
Vessel
Veteran
(possibly Wizard? I'll have a talk with my player)
Wolf
Apr 3, 2020 5:58 pm
Fae ? Interesting. What sort ?
Apr 3, 2020 6:39 pm
Pretty much up to you, so long as you pass as human in order to interact with the mundanes. The way the archetypes are made, they leave some room for customization, so you can try to get as close to as possible as what you want to play (and keeping in mind that the move Let It Out pretty much contains everything else that you feel your creature should be capable of doing and not already covered in a special move...). And if for some reason, you can't get exactly what you want, you can later through advancements.
Last edited April 3, 2020 6:40 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.