Thought on these realms of magic

Apr 3, 2020 3:41 pm
Ok I am thinking of putting together a magic system for a game that is based loosely on an anime. In it many of the different races, animals and items each have a single arcanum associated with them. They can only use abilities or magic associated with that arcanum unless they fall into the use of dark magic.

Now I do believe their maybe overlap of some of the arcanum powers such as rain could be part of the sky arcanum as storms are part of it but water also falls under the ocean one as well.

They have six /7 arcanum

They are

Sun
moon
stars
Sky
earth
Ocean

The 7 is darkness but what it does is use the death of creatures and/or use of items of the other arcanums to power its magic.

Now Sun gives the abilities of light, heat, fire saand so forth.

Moon is illusions, stealth and images. in the way the moon reflects the light of the sun so the moon makes images adn so forth.

Sky of course is air, lighting, storms and so forth.

Those are the ones that have been used in the show so far in any detail.

The one I am not sure of is stars and what would powers be like for it.

So any suggestions as to abilities or spells associated with these powers. I also want to use a term other than arcanum though elements don't seem to quite fit either.

As for races I am thinking so far:

Moon elf - moon arcanum
Sun elf - sun arcanum
Dwarf - earth arcanum
Apr 3, 2020 3:58 pm
Maybe the stars have to do with Divination and future looking and such

Ocean is often considered to deep (aka Wisdom) oriented as well as water philosophy is to flow around an attack so I am sure that factors into it some how.

Martial Arts Philosophies based on Element

Earth -- Absorb and Attack
Fire ---- Attack and Attack
Air ----- Flow and Strike Critically (kind of hybrid of Fire and Water)
Water -- Flow
Apr 3, 2020 4:02 pm
Divination and teleportation were the first two things that came to mind for stars for me too. Water might as well be flow and absorb (it's harder to punch in water, for instance).
Apr 3, 2020 4:05 pm
Thanks for the input, definitely will consider it.

Just to add a couple more things
Humans are mundane - that is they are not connected to an arcanum
many animals and plants are as well though all things a a small piece of them.

I lam likening dark magic and darkness versus the arcanums to similar to Star Wars. the good use is through the arcanums but the "dark" side offers them quickly and with power but at the cost of life and hurting things.

I also plan to use alchemy- there is the dark use that strips the power from things. There is also a light side in that using the natural properties of items to effect change (example; killing a creature to get its life force to heal versus using a plants natural properties as a poultice to heal.
Apr 3, 2020 4:09 pm
Water could be spirit and astral projections ?

Earth could be channeling telluric energy ?

Sky could be channeling cosmic energy ?
Apr 3, 2020 4:35 pm
Check out Blue Rose RPG (uses the AGE system) they have interesting Shaping powers you could easily repurpose. Adepts (casters) generally get access to two powers, with each power having separate effects.

Light Shaping
Earth Shaping
Water Shaping
Weather Shaping
...etc
Last edited April 3, 2020 6:11 pm
Apr 3, 2020 6:10 pm
I have thought of using blue rose or fantasy age as the system as well as fantasy d6 and genre i. Right now I am seeing how I want t to feel like then create the rules to fit.
Apr 3, 2020 6:40 pm
Sounds pretty rad. Maybe consider stealing some things from Divinity: Original Sin, with regards to their power breakdown...? That just kind of popped into my head.

Maybe you could reskin or repurpose some of the skills..?

Divinity 2 Skills

You do not have permission to post in this thread.