Upgrading server soon

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 1, 2016 5:25 pm
With a recent jump in activity and my moving the site to MongoDB over MySQL (ignore the technojargon if you're not of the kin), the current server GP is on won't suffice, and I'm looking at upgrading. I'm gonna figure out the best day to do the upgrade, but really all it'll mean for most of you is some downtime from your beloved site. For me, it'll mean backing up data and databases, learning a bunch of stuff, and hopefully not losing everything you guys have done so far! It'll also mean increased costs, so I'll mention my referral links:

You're probably already shopping on Amazon, so why not help me out a bit in the process? The nice thing is you'll also be sent to Amazon Smile!

If you're more on the digital side and buying through DriveThruRPG, you can help me out there too! Once you click the link, if you click through to any of the other DriveThru sites, I'll get credit there too.

If amazing dice are more your speed, I love the stuff at Easy Dice Roller Co.

And if for some weird reason you'd rather donate directly, there's a link at the bottom of the page. I'm more of a "mutual support" kinda guy though.
Mar 1, 2016 5:53 pm
Downtime?!?!!??

*szemely curls into a fetal position*

Good luck with the upgrade and thanks for all the good work on the site.
Mar 1, 2016 11:07 pm
Can we get the print of forums option working before the switch? ;)
Mar 1, 2016 11:12 pm
So long as there's a rollback to a previous stable version, an update is all good.
Mar 1, 2016 11:27 pm
Code won't update, just getting more memory and hard drive space.
Mar 2, 2016 3:22 am
I was planning on getting some dice. I will have to take a look at those.
Mar 2, 2016 3:27 am
Going MongoDB huh? We are about to start working with that with my company's product. It's interesting. I am going to have to play with it.
Mar 2, 2016 3:58 am
DMKiado says:
Going MongoDB huh? We are about to start working with that with my company's product. It's interesting. I am going to have to play with it.
Right now, about half the site runs on Mongo, including PMs, characters, FAQs and more. I think forums is the last major part not on Mongo. It's SO much faster, given Mongo stores as much as it can in memory.
Mar 3, 2016 11:22 am
Got my dice! Woo hoo!
Mar 3, 2016 12:20 pm
Kjmagle says:
Got my dice! Woo hoo!
Wha....?

Oh, did you buy dice from Easy Dice Roller? Should I check my account value?
Mar 3, 2016 1:28 pm
Keleth says:
Kjmagle says:
Got my dice! Woo hoo!
Wha....?

Yeah i used the link and bought some dice. I have been meaning to buy some so no better way then that.
Mar 3, 2016 1:31 pm
Kjmagle says:
Keleth says:
Kjmagle says:
Got my dice! Woo hoo!
Wha....?

Yeah i used the link and bought some dice. I have been meaning to buy some so no better way then that.
Thanks! What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
Mar 3, 2016 2:26 pm
Keleth says:
Kjmagle says:
Keleth says:
Kjmagle says:
Got my dice! Woo hoo!
Wha....?

Thanks! What did you get, if you don't mind me asking?
Nothing super expensive. 2 Count Bulk Assorted Polyhedral Dice Item# 42_bulk
Last edited March 3, 2016 2:27 pm
Mar 3, 2016 6:27 pm
Given weekends are the lightest days, I think I'll go forward with the upgrade on Sunday. If you don't see GP back on Monday, assume the world has exploded or I'm dead or I just don't know what I'm doing.
Mar 3, 2016 6:37 pm
That's why the rollback or restore-backup option is there, so spoiled users like us continue to have access like we believe it's our birthright.[ /sarcasm]

Why yes, I do work in application development.
Mar 3, 2016 6:58 pm
CancerMan says:
That's why the rollback or restore-backup option is there, so spoiled users like us continue to have access like we believe it's our birthright.[ /sarcasm]

Why yes, I do work in application development.
Heh, yah, I'm gonna take a snapshot of the box just before I start the upgrade. Oh no, the expense of... I think it'll cost me $0.10 :p
Mar 3, 2016 7:31 pm
Soooo... schedule plot cliffhangers for Saturday then? On it.
Mar 3, 2016 8:22 pm
Qralloq says:
Soooo... schedule plot cliffhangers for Saturday then? On it.
That's cold and cruel. I think I like you.
Mar 6, 2016 4:46 pm
The server is upgraded. I don't see any problems, but as always, if you spot um, point them out to me. Time to take on some extra freelance work to pay for new costs :p
Mar 6, 2016 5:15 pm
Great; thanks, Keleth!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.