Character Creation

load previous
Mar 10, 2016 11:23 pm
There we go! Here is his Character Sheet

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43691169/Gongar.jpg
Last edited March 11, 2016 12:59 am
Mar 11, 2016 1:17 am
I was considering going with Dwarf, but if we've got two other dwarves in the party I think I'll go ahead and stick with Human.
Mar 11, 2016 1:19 am
thedandyman says:
I was considering going with Dwarf, but if we've got two other dwarves in the party I think I'll go ahead and stick with Human.
Nothing wrong with a dwarven party at all. Make what you want to make :)
Mar 11, 2016 1:33 am
This sounds like a party that's been travelling from the north anyways, you being a dwarf might make interactions easier, how many dwarf stereotypes can we fit into one campaign?
Last edited March 11, 2016 1:36 am
Mar 11, 2016 1:37 am
Fatenori and Keleth are going to have to come up with a reason that you're bonded as you are
Mar 11, 2016 3:41 am
holy cow, that's a lot of traits to pick from...

any suggestions of traits I should pick that would fit a human monk (so I don't have to read through them all hahaha)? Planning on doing mostly unarmed combat.
Mar 11, 2016 3:44 am
I'll look at them tomorrow and see. Maybe you should submit what you got so far so I can look at it?
Mar 11, 2016 5:56 am
Putting the finishing touches on it now, I'll link you when it's complete.

For now, though, starting gold roll!

Rolls

Gold - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Mar 11, 2016 10:10 pm
Make sure you don't forget: When you make a character you get to pick a favored class! This is probably the most overlooked rule during character creation.
OOC:
Favored Class: Each character begins play with a single favored class of his choosing—typically, this is the same class as the one he chooses at 1st level. Whenever a character gains a level in his favored class, he receives either + 1 hit point or + 1 skill rank. The choice of favored class cannot be changed once the character is created, and the choice of gaining a hit point or a skill rank each time a character gains a level (including his first level) cannot be changed once made for a particular level. Prestige classes (see Prestige Classes) can never be a favored class.
Mar 11, 2016 10:26 pm
Your right, I completely overlooked that. Should that be marked in the notes section? And if I'm reading it right it only applies when we gain a lvl. it doesn't apply at 1st lvl.

Also, I made the assumption that at 1st lvl we start at max hit points. If that's incorrect let me know and I will roll the dice.
Mar 11, 2016 10:33 pm
JoHoover says:
Your right, I completely overlooked that. Should that be marked in the notes section? And if I'm reading it right it only applies when we gain a lvl. it doesn't apply at 1st lvl.

Also, I made the assumption that at 1st lvl we start at max hit points. If that's incorrect let me know and I will roll the dice.
You can mark that in the notes, that would be perfect. I've always had it apply at first level, so go ahead and take your free point :)

And you are correct, max HP at first level
Mar 12, 2016 12:07 am
I'll build a character this weekend, maybe tonight.
Mar 12, 2016 1:18 am
Still have some story considerations to iron out, but here is his sheet.
Mar 12, 2016 4:32 am
So... I *think* I got this right. Look it over and let me know if I messed anything up or forgot something! (I honestly have no idea what a good stat allocation looks like... I was pretty much just guessing there. lol)

Here's the character sheet for Xandak Alerteyes, the Human Monk.
Mar 12, 2016 10:04 pm
Naatkinson says:
JoHoover says:

You can mark that in the notes, that would be perfect. I've always had it apply at first level, so go ahead and take your free point :)

And you are correct, max HP at first level
I just realized I might have to recompute my starting hp after reassigning stat scores.

Also, I might go (bastard) sword and board instead of heavy flail. What is it going to be like if I start combat with a lance charge and then switch to a sword? Do I drop the lance? What's the action economy going to be like?

EDIT: Ok, I just read the Action Economy cheat sheet
Last edited March 12, 2016 10:10 pm
Mar 12, 2016 10:07 pm
@thedandyman you have to add your character to the library for us to look at him. Click on the characters tab and it will show all of the characters you've created them click on the book looking symbol in line with that character and then we'll be able to see him.
Mar 12, 2016 11:47 pm
Today was a heavy "get stuff done around the house" day. I'll work on the char tomorrow.
Mar 13, 2016 11:11 am
Quote:
I just realized I might have to recompute my starting hp after reassigning stat scores.
Fixed. Also confirmed I have the correct number of skill ranks.

Oh shit, I'm not gonna be able to afford all my gear!
Last edited March 13, 2016 12:06 pm

Rolls

Starting gold - (5d6)

(33416) = 17

Mar 13, 2016 11:04 pm
Thanks, added him to the character library!

Thought I'd get the other player's opinions on this as well: I'm considering taking a Vow or two as a monk. The basic backstory I have is this: When he was a teen, Xandak's home was raided by marauders, and his family was killed and his house was plundered while he hid. Ever since he has blamed himself for their deaths, holding to the idea that if he had been stronger - physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually - perhaps he could have saved his family. He vows to better himself and also (possibly) takes a vow that will not be fulfilled until the day he can redeem himself and prove that he has become strong enough to overcome anything that might stand in his way.

At first I was thinking about the Vow of Silence. It would provide some pretty interesting and unique Roleplaying opportunities, but it would be difficult starting out unless he already knows one of the other PC's (any volunteers?) Also, since he can take multiple vows, if he takes the vow of silence he might as well take the Vow of Truth since he won't be talking anyway.

OR I'm also considering the Vow of Poverty - I wouldn't be able to use any armor or weapons (not a problem for the monk anyway), but the issue is that, obviously, I won't be able to take advantage of any other magic items we might find (which may be a moot point because of the Automatic Bonus Progression anyway). But it comes with one extra Ki point for every Monk level - which is pretty big.

I'm really having a hard time deciding here... thoughts?
Last edited March 14, 2016 12:26 am
Mar 14, 2016 12:26 pm
Those vow are all pretty awesome from a roleplaying perspective. Really interesting! Mechanically, the Vow of Poverty is obviously superior.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.