OOC Discussion Thread

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jul 2, 2020 3:13 pm
You may draw from Heroes Handbook, Power Profiles, Gadget Guides, Hero High, Cosmic Handbook, Basic Heroes Handbook, Beginner's Guide, or Freedom City. Characters begin at PL8 and must be of high-school age (15) or the equivalent in whatever aging system their culture uses. You don't even have to be human (though a humanoid form is convenient)! You could be from another dimension or outer space, or a lost world. Anything is possible.

You may not have any Expertise skills except arcane lore, art, current events, history, popular culture, streetwise, tactics, and theology/philosophy. You may take a maximum of 4 levels of Treatment. Exceptions may be made for heroes whose schtick is dependent on a certain skill (such as science). Talk to your GM.

Tell us about yourself. What is your name? Do you have a hero name yet or will you be looking to come up with one? Are you the legacy of a long line of heroes, or are you the only one in your family with powers? Are you a native of Freedom City, or new to the area?

Don't neglect your family. Who raised you? Do you have any siblings? Are your grandparents alive? Are your parents separated, divorced, widowed? Are they dead and you were raised by your extended family? Be sure to include details like this in your write-up.

If you are knowledgeable about Earth-Prime in general, or Freedom City specifically, feel free to incorporate such details into your backstory. The one thing that you should not be is an established hero. You may have been out once or twice on patrol or may have used your powers, but your hero name (if you have one) should not be known to the public. If you want to be brand new to your abilities and still discovering what you can do, that's fine too!
Jul 2, 2020 3:51 pm
Oh, I need to adjust Bloodwine a bit. I set him at PL10.
Jul 2, 2020 4:31 pm
Awesome!

So I’m working details out on my head but here’s a very basic idea.

Leaning into Celtic Mythology and some alternate dimension shenanigans (because comics). Female Character. Inspired by Wonder Woman ethos.

Idea: There is a superhero in this world who is called The Morrigan. She’s essentially a demigod with magical powers. But she dies sacrificing herself to save (insert thing she saved- city? World? I’m open to suggestions).

A bit later the Superhero team finds themselves in another dimension. It’s a darker, crueler place where a big bad essentially rules. They discover this 15 year old version of Morrigan and through some shenanigans (I’m pondering the details) she winds up in the dimension we’ll be playing in.

So now we’ve got this 15 year old who’s just starting to test her powers suddenly confronted with massive expectations. Expectations of heroism, sacrifice, and often expectations and assumptions about her personality.
Jul 2, 2020 4:34 pm
I like the idea of this teenager trying to find her own way in a world that keeps making assumptions about her. And imagine the psychological "whoa" factor of, like, seeing a memorial to an older version of you and thinking "there’s no way I can be that". I think it’d be a fun headspace to play in. In many ways they’re the same but in many ways they’re different. That kind of thing.
Jul 3, 2020 4:33 am
Redbarron219 says:
Awesome!

So I’m working details out on my head but here’s a very basic idea.

Leaning into Celtic Mythology and some alternate dimension shenanigans (because comics). Female Character. Inspired by Wonder Woman ethos.

Idea: There is a superhero in this world who is called The Morrigan. She’s essentially a demigod with magical powers. But she dies sacrificing herself to save (insert thing she saved- city? World? I’m open to suggestions).

A bit later the Superhero team finds themselves in another dimension. It’s a darker, crueler place where a big bad essentially rules. They discover this 15 year old version of Morrigan and through some shenanigans (I’m pondering the details) she winds up in the dimension we’ll be playing in.

So now we’ve got this 15 year old who’s just starting to test her powers suddenly confronted with massive expectations. Expectations of heroism, sacrifice, and often expectations and assumptions about her personality.
Perhaps this alternate dimension you describe could be the Celtic Otherworld?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Otherworld
Jul 3, 2020 5:32 pm
Done adjusting Bloodwine to PL8

Bloodwine
R.N.: Jules Lee

Bacchanalia
- release chemicals that affect those who inhale them with various effects.

Role: Crowd Control, Support
Did not change much his background but he loses much of his tankyness (I removed Regeneration and also stripped off some def and Stamina for Agi and Dodge. He has no FGT, STR, or DEX so he can't be relied on for damage.
Jul 6, 2020 8:06 pm
Heretic says:
perhaps this alternate dimension you describe could be the Celtic Otherworld?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Otherworld
That's a very cool idea!.

I'm still kind of figuring out how this system works but based on group composition and what I like to play. I'm thinking of putting together a dodge tank- front line fighter- But I want it to all be a magic base. The idea is that they have these celtic knot tattoo's across they're body. Like a latticework, but technically a birthmark. Th tattoo's are essentially a magical foci, and they glow when she's fueling them. Giving her strength and speed enhancement and (as she gets better, aka levels up) the ability to cast spells.

Obviously she's still relatively new at all this. So I'm planning to have her focus on melee combat, But that's the power set I'm going for.
Jul 9, 2020 3:41 am
I'm working on the character stats. Just checking to make sure everyone is here- it's been a bit quite.
Jul 10, 2020 2:20 am
Here and ready to go! I think we're just waiting for characters to be submitted and approved.
Jul 10, 2020 2:34 am
I'm here! Just waiting for the game to get started. I really like the variety of characters we've got.

For the Morrigan's origin story, would it perhaps be easier to have her power pass on from the previous Morrigan at death, kind of like the Slayers in Buffy? It avoids the need for established contact with the omega-level superheroes of the setting, and also means you don't have to worry as much about culture shock when trying to fit in after coming from a different dimension. She could just be an ordinary fifteen-year-old kid, then all of a sudden BAM, tattoos, cosmic powers and a truckload of other people's expectations. Up to you though, don't let me sway you from what you feel is best for the character.

I'm glad that Bloodwine is on the side of good, because a teenage boy with an intoxication powerset seems like he could go down a really rapey path if he took a wrong turn in life.
Jul 10, 2020 4:54 am
Am still here, also just waiting.
Jul 10, 2020 2:58 pm
I was waiting for everyone to finish up their characters before beginning. I know that LightofMidnight was working on hers and I was waiting for Redbarron219 to finalize his stats.
Jul 10, 2020 7:42 pm
Ah. Sorry about the holdup. To be honest. It took me a bit to get my head around this system. Didn’t want to accidentally build a crappy character stat wise.

Also @kadeton. That’s a good idea. But the big thing I want from the character is "younger version of that person" rather than "a person who inherited the powers" if that makes sense.
Jul 11, 2020 4:34 am
@Redbarron219: Yeah, totally! One of my favourite comic arcs is the Journey Into Mystery series where a younger version of Loki has to deal with all the expectations and baggage everyone has because of his older self (mainly that he'll also turn out to be a villain).
Jul 11, 2020 2:59 pm
@Redbarron219, you were asking about magic. Yes, you should build powers and then add the "magic" identifier. If you wish to make them more spell-like, add a limitation like, "must have hands free and be able to speak". You might also choose to make them an array, so that you can't use more than one spell at the same time.

If you have the magic sourcebook, they've already done it for you. They have developed "spells" that are simply powers under a different name.
Jul 11, 2020 3:05 pm
Cool, yea. What I ended up deciding was that I wanted to tag different powers with "magic" as an identifier. Since I’m not really looking for her to "cast spells" as such and rather her powers are magical in and of themselves.
Jul 12, 2020 2:47 am
I submitted a character!

Hero Name: Nemaìn

Civilian name: Morgan Sìthich

Nemaìn doesn't belong here. She knows this, even if it seems that other people are glad she's here. But Nemaìn knows they are glad she is here, not Nemaìn... the other one... The Morrigan.

Some would say they are the same person, but they're not. Not really. They look the same, though Nemaìn is younger. They have the same voice. The same powers, though Nemaìn can't use a lot of them yet. Sometimes they even act the same way. But they're not the same, and so many people have a hard time believing that. Seeing that. Accepting that.

Nemaìn's not from here. She came from a crueler dimension. One where evil ruled and survival was an everyday experience. She was... violence... violence given form in that place. Tempered and used to wreak destruction. She only saw the light when hero's from this place arrived. They gave her hope, helped her to see, and to escape that universe of darkness.

Turns out, though, that there was a version of her in this dimension. Honestly, it tough looking at statues and seeing your face, wondering how you could ever be that good. For now, Nemaìn knows that she needs to put on the confident act. Meet this world head on. There's a lot of good here. She may not truly belong here, may never live up to her other self's legacy, but she'll protect this place or die trying.

Powers/abilities: Nemaìn has her Havoc Howl, and Raven's Talons. Both are magically fueled abilities. The Howl is a blast of sound that harms opponents. Her Talons are essentially burst of piercing magical energy from the tips of her fingers. Nemaìn has few skills outside of combat but her combat abilities are relatively high. Her demigod Physiology has afforded her several senses upgrades: Darkvision, The ability to see through illusions, Danger Sense (she is a god of war), and Postcognition (The ability to see into the past, but only related to acts of violence).

The Morrigan had many more abilities but Nemaìn has not grown into, and thus unlocked, more of them.
Last edited July 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am
We have a party then :)
Well, we still have to wait for LightOfMidnight's character.

The party composition looks a bit Halloween-y with a ghost, a spider, and pseudo vampires hehe
Jul 18, 2020 10:57 am
WhtKnt says:
I was waiting for everyone to finish up their characters before beginning. I know that LightofMidnight was working on hers and I was waiting for Redbarron219 to finalize his stats.
LightOfMidnight left the game I think.
Jul 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Agreed. I believe LightOfMidnight has left this plane of existence.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.