OOC Discussion Thread

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 5, 2020 1:33 am
Feel free to discuss out-of-character topics here, including character development.
Jun 5, 2020 2:53 pm
Potential concept 1: "Banshee"

Rhiannon has been variously described by her case workers as "quiet", "withdrawn", "morbid", and in one particularly insensitive report, "creepy and disturbing". It's perhaps to be expected - at fourteen, she became a ward of the state when her parents were killed in a traffic collision. It is assumed that she had been in the car with them at the time - she was found wandering in the woods near the crash, traumatised and in shock, but without so much as a scratch.

Since becoming an orphan, Rhiannon has been moved through numerous foster homes. Consistently, despite the best efforts of her carers, she has lasted no more than a few weeks before vanishing into the night. She has similarly absconded from child protective services and the police, seemingly with ease. It is clear to her case workers that Rhiannon is a very "special" case - should she wish to go her own way, no earthly power can restrain her from doing so. In desperation, they appealed to the Claremont Academy, whose facilities and expertise may be more suited to Rhiannon's needs.

Powers: Rhiannon can assume a ghostly form at will (Insubstantial 4, flight, immunity). Other ghost-themed powers as appropriate - I'll develop these in more detail should I take this character further.
Jun 7, 2020 12:37 am
Going to spend a day or two looking through the book. Never played mutants and masterminds, so going to try and get a figure on what I can do.
Jun 7, 2020 2:00 am
The beauty of M&M is that you can do almost anything, especially with 3rd edition. If you need any help, let me know. I have Hero Lab to build characters with. Makes life sooooo much easier,
Jun 7, 2020 5:46 pm
I've been informed. Boyfriend and some of my friends have played it, he;s aso offered help. Though I won't turn down the Herolab offer even if it's just to plug in numbers and make sure I was correct, and have a laid out sheet. I have it for pathfinder and shadowrun, and agree so much nicer.
Jun 15, 2020 8:42 pm
How is character generation coming for everyone? I'm posting a few new advantages here that might be of interest to players:

Cool (Skill, Ranked)
You have a certain style and calm method to your actions that works on anyone under 20 years old. This gives you a +5 circumstance bonus on one Presence-related skill when rolling checks (Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion, or PRE-based Expertise) involving teens. Adults don’t "get it," and are thus immune to your hip charm. Each rank in this advantage adds an additional presence-related skill, and the bonus given can never give you an effective total skill bonus higher than the series’ power level limits.

Disarming (Fortune, Ranked [10])
It started with Mom and Dad, the way you could wrap them around your little finger with a doleful puppy dog stare. You’re cute and innocent looking, and when you want to, you can make villains really nervous about hitting you. Oh they’ll blast you if they have to—they are evil after all—but they’re likely to pull their punch because attacking you is like blasting away at Thumper or a Tribble.

By spending a hero point, you can direct this innocent charm at one villain, forcing the miscreant to make a Will save (DC 10 + twice your ranks in Disarming). If the villain fails, he still attacks, but he "pulls" his punch, reducing his attack’s rank by 2 for one degree of failure, 5 for two degrees of failure, or 10 for three or more degrees of failure. The effect lasts until you attack and hurt the villain. If the save succeeds or you attack and hurt the villain, he cannot be affected by the Disarming advantage for the rest of that encounter.

Holding Back (Fortune, Ranked [6])
Holding Back means you possess a lot more power than you’re letting on, but you won’t use it out of a legitimate fear. Can you shatter buildings with a thoughtless word? Can you tap into an endless pit of darkness to fuel yourself? Can you surrender to an indiscriminate battle-fury that turns you into a lethal tornado of death? You can tap into and wield abilities above and beyond the series’ power levels. In fact, the current power levels are holding you back from going full-bore. This is a dangerous ploy, however, and a slip could prove worse than the threat facing you now.

With Holding Back, you must spend a hero point and two conditions must be met before you can access this untapped reserve. Over half the team must be incapacitated for you to consider making this sacrifice, or many innocent lives should be at stake (possibly including your own), and you must make a Will resistance check with a DC of 10 + your Will defense to overcome your own years of self-deprivation training. You get a +1 bonus to the roll for each rank in this advantage after the first (to a maximum of +5 with 6 ranks). If both conditions are met, you have access to greater powers for that encounter.

When you overcome your mental blocks and become more powerful, your power level increases by 4 and you gain 60 points to spend on your traits (during teen hero creation, make two character sheets for the normal hero and the tricked-out, really dangerous hero; this prevents you from slowing the flow of combat). The bad in all this is that once you unleash your full potential, there’s a price to pay. You suffer a complication chosen by the GM for unleashing your full power, for which you do not receive a hero point award.

Untapped Potential (Fortune)
Folks expect you to grow into your powers eventually, but you’re special; you haven’t even begun to tap into the full extent of your abilities. With Untapped Potential, you can push your powers beyond their current limits and touch upon that greatness for a short time. When you use extra effort (see Hero’s Handbook, Chapter 1), you can increase a power by 3 ranks rather than 2.
Jun 16, 2020 3:37 am
I've been coming up with various ideas for characters, but I keep coming back to Rhiannon (above), so I think I'll commit to playing her and start building her stats. I wasn't sure if we were waiting on more players before getting started?
Jun 16, 2020 4:02 am
I had hoped to get a few more, but I'll run with what I've got. I'll boost the ad to see if I can hook a few more.
Jun 16, 2020 12:29 pm
Hey all, looks like we have one ghost. What are the others playing?
Jun 16, 2020 1:29 pm
A quick look through the books and I'm thinking:
Angela Armageddon: "Well, with the apocalypse coming and stuff, I thought I'd take a last look around and be human until, you know. So I squeezed myself into this girl, isn't she the cutest?"

Angela is a bubbly inquisitive type. Immortal, she fears little except missing out on new experiences. She doesn't talk about "The End" in any specifics, saying things like, "The details are in committee" but she is totes caj about it.

For powers, I'm thinking some sort of melee range light attack, teleport, and immortality. Skills and what have you, probably charm and exploration flavor.
Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm
I've been drawing a bit of a blank right now.
May go fo a paragon who on the outside appears to be the stereotypical alpha b*tch archetype, but then try and play around with it.

May see if I can somehow make her powers related to other people's feelings about her.
Jun 16, 2020 5:06 pm
I think I broke my boyfriend, who's trying to figure out how to do it.

(Source and power-loss might be easy ways, but less variable)

Edit: Currently thinking a lot of activation abilities, each which requires a source of 'belief/positive feel's, etc) nearby. So the more people feeling positive/cheering her on/something towards her near her, the more she can activate?

Edit 2: Or variable shenanigans, using a quirk to introduce 'x' as number of 'supporter/positive feelings etc, and source as can only use Variable x, plus having a set form for each rank level. (This came from me asking if it was possible to have 2 rank 1 enhance strength to activate separately, rather than rank 2 str)

(Sorry trying to work on the mechanics, and if feasible and not too much of a headache, before actual powers. Though yeah likely super strength, flying etc)
Last edited June 16, 2020 5:26 pm
Jun 18, 2020 3:47 am
Submitted Angela Amageddon
Qralloq sent a note to WhtKnt
I'll work on a story for coming to the academy
Jun 19, 2020 6:14 am
Submitted Rhiannon. Let me know if anything looks wonky!
Jun 20, 2020 12:25 am
Still having fun seeing if I can make this work and still have a decent character out of it.
Jun 24, 2020 4:39 am
The character concept I'm working on is inspired by Bacchus.

His super powers revolve around afflicting enemy with levels of intoxication and also charm. Other powers such as damaging effects are limited in a way that they will only work on intoxicated targets or targets that have drunk alcohol within the past few hours. Some powers would work only if he kissed someone. He becomes stronger when he is drunk, which is something that's not yet legal for his age. I'm still studying how I can make this work lol.

As for background:

Charming and disciplined, people either worship him or are intimidated. Due to his powers, people stereotype him as a troublemaker or a happy go lucky person but truth is he doesn't drink, is organized, law-abiding and diligent. His parents, the exact opposite. Perhaps it was due to his parents behavior that he gained weird powers. He lived with his aunt, owner of a coffee shop, because his parents are often in prison. His aunt was the reason why he's not like his parents. He worked part-time at the coffee shop and would sometimes use his powers to punish rowdy customers.

Sample Powers:
[ +- ] Spoiler
Last edited June 24, 2020 9:06 am
Jul 2, 2020 3:52 am
Character submitted.

THE STRANGE AND STARTLING SECRET ORIGIN OF THE COBWEB KID: WHO HE IS AND HOW HE CAME TO BE

BACKGROUND:

Losing his wife to a rare form of blood cancer, Dan Tyler is devastated when his young son, Trey, is diagnosed with the same disease – a hereditary affliction. With no known cure, he risks everything and takes his dying son to a remote lab in the jungles of South America where a brilliant scientist promises a cure. The risky injection of a strange chemical restores Trey to full health…but with shocking side-effects!

Returning to the United States, Dan Tyler is arrested by the authorities for felony child endangerment. With his father now serving a lengthy prison sentence, Trey Tyler is made a ward of the state and is eventually enrolled at the Claremont Academy.

Trey is trying hard to fit in at the Claremont Academy and is normally affable and fun-loving. However, he misses his father greatly and will call or visit him whenever he can. He can easily become enraged at anyone making a slight against his dad.

Clad in a garish costume of Halloween colors, he operates under the codename THE COBWEB KID!

POWERS:

The strange chemicals in Trey’s body have seemingly rewritten his DNA, infusing his body with a purplish substance that Trey calls "the Purple Super-Goo". By excreting the goo through his appendages, he is able fire strands of sticky, web-like material, crawl up walls, and perform bouncy super-leaps. The goo has also fortified his body with amazing strength, allowing him to toss around cars and dumpsters, much to his delight! A bizarre side-effect of the chemicals, however, is that his hair and eyes have been permanently turned a vivid purple.

https://i.imgur.com/JlQlqHN.png
Last edited July 2, 2020 10:21 am
Jul 2, 2020 4:38 am
hello all! I'm Excited for this game. I took a brief hiatus from PbP's in general but am ready to be back. I've got a basic character concept in my head, but I know very little about M&M. Gonna take some time to look it over ASAP.
Jul 2, 2020 4:49 am
Can I get a quick reminder of the various parameters for this game? Character restrictions? Books? that kind of thing.
Jul 2, 2020 4:58 am
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Nct5Ii_eVFE/TNCiUC_b9iI/AAAAAAAAADE/vRP8tZL5_AA/s1600/My+Handsome+Vampire.jpg

Bloodwine
Jules Lee

His main role in a party set-up is defender and crowd control as his powers are in the form of unseen chemicals spread in the air. I couldn't find super hero clothes that are not too lewd for him haha. I guess he'd wear something like Red Riot from BNHA.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.