[LANCER system] Potential for Camelot Space Opera?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 10, 2020 11:53 am
I'm debating running yet another LANCER game, because I love the system, and if I don't get to play it, I might as well help make it more popular. However, I'm not sure how much interest this concept would have.

Based on the idea that Arthur of Camelot is the Once and Future King, and would one day return to fight evil and rule with equality and justice once more, I've been rolling ideas around for a game set in the LANCER system, where you play as the newest incarnation of the knights of the round table. I wouldn't specifically request an arthur analogue unless someone naturally arises as the leader other characters look toward. I'd be looking mostly at the idea of the round table as a band of equals, with none at its head. A group establishing a base of power and slowly expanding their reach and obtaining allies as they bring order to an embittered, wartorn galaxy.

I'd be using a faction system from another game, likely Stars Without Number or Pendragon, to increase the feel of rebuilding the camelot of old, so you can feel tbe effects of recruiting NPCs, gaining ground against your foes, etc. This isn't something every player needs to engage with, if you just want to focus on your pilot and their story, but will be there as an option for those with a tendency towards the broad.

In addition, depending on how many players I had, I would run it one of two ways: West Marches style, where pilots can mix and match between groups to take on different missions at once(if I get a full round table), or by introducing NPC knights as the campaign goes on and you recruit a full table, allowing you the chance to play as them if a battle needs a different skillset, or send them out to do faction stuff between missions, or even upgrade them to full PC if you take a liking and want to play them permanently.

Is this something that might find an audience?
Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm
This sounds like fun. I’ve have always wanted to try Lancer, but I don’t really know the rules.
Jun 10, 2020 12:43 pm
Did someone say LANCER?!?!

If an idea comes up for this campaign, I'm totally in!

FYI for those who don't know Lancer: Free Player Rules and the best CharGen tool ever
Jun 10, 2020 12:45 pm
How am I not surprised to see you in this thread, Yama? xD
Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm
I will admit, I was inspired almost entirely due to Yamazaki, if only by sheer coincidence. I was skimming old threads after recently joining these boards, and happened to skim past them shilling Comp/CON right as I was listening to the final track on High Noon Over Camelot, by the Mechanisms, said track being The Once and Future King, and immediately realized mecha-camelot sounds pretty rad.
Jun 10, 2020 2:16 pm
This sounds like a cool concept, and I did just pick up LANCER in a bundle. I'd be interested in giving this a go.
Jun 10, 2020 2:35 pm
This... is just freakin' cool. I'd love to play, but a new system seems daunting to me right now. lol

But dang, very cool! :) Good luck!
Jun 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Well of course I'd show up here, Bowl. Mentioning Lancer is like Beatlejuice for me...

Lancer is actually not as daunting as it seems at first glance. Especially after you play around with Comp/CON for a while.

If I can teach it to a group of casual players who won't read the rules ever, anyone can pick up Lancer.
Jun 10, 2020 4:05 pm
I would have to look at the rules and stuff but I am fairly interested. never played Lancer.

Edit: honestly, just running over the basic right now and I am loving the settings of Lancer and I have always been interested in Arthurian lore. So if a game is made, count me in
Last edited June 10, 2020 4:23 pm
Jun 10, 2020 10:39 pm
I am interested as well.

Does comp/con work on a phone?
Jun 11, 2020 12:04 am
I would love to join in as well. I've done a couple of sessions of Lancer on Roll20, am involved in one PbP, and am starting to put together a PbP campaign myself.
Jun 11, 2020 5:27 am
I have never heard of Lancer but I've always liked the sound of Camelot Trigger and this sounds like it is a similar thing. I would be very in if possible.
Jun 11, 2020 5:46 am
There seems to be a lot of interest for this. You can move me to the bottom of the list.
Jun 11, 2020 6:03 am
Never tried the Lancer system and it looks awesome. Not sure if taking another game would be wise though :P
Jun 11, 2020 12:16 pm
Experiencing technical difficulties, but I'll update this thread when the game is ready! Thanks for the interest, ya'll.
Jun 11, 2020 1:52 pm
Machiabelly says:
Does comp/con work on a phone?
It kinda does. You'll want to run the page in desktop mode, otherwise everything ends up all squished. When I ran a short-run game for my live group, my brother-in-law used his phone, and it was alright, but certain features were unaccessable as the buttons didn't show.

To my knowledge, the mobile version of Comp/CON's site is low on the priority list, but it's on there. However, they have totally abandoned the idea of making mobile apps for the foreseeable future.
Jun 11, 2020 11:32 pm
i'm interested. I joined a lancer game that didn't really go anywhere so I already have a character and an artillery mech built.
Jun 12, 2020 12:02 am
Got a cancelled game, so count me fully up for this game. I'm interested in trying the Balor mech.
Jun 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Due to an error in the first time trying to create this game, I have created it as "Knights of Caliburn(Fixed)." If you joined Knights of Caliburn originally, please know I can't see those requests.
Last edited June 14, 2020 4:07 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.