Favorite Settings

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 23, 2020 12:05 pm
I'm wondering what are some of your favorite settings? Published or not, and why.
Jun 23, 2020 1:02 pm
D&D:
My homebrew (I might be biased)
Eberron
Planescape

Other:
Shadowrun, but currently I am a but oversaturated
Star Wars
Jun 23, 2020 1:06 pm
Eclipse Phase. Which many people likely haven't heard of. It's Sci-fi, and transportation is basically sending your mind across space to be suited in a new body. The setting is great, sadly the system was easily breakable. Though I have yet to look at the second edition.

Also Shadowrun, but admittedly as very few cyberpunk settings, and I like what I've seen of Eberron. Golarion for Pathfinder is very expansive, and you can almost always find a deity or country for your backstory needs.
Jun 23, 2020 1:11 pm
runekyndig says:
D&D:
Eberron
Planescape

Other:
Shadowrun, but currently I am a but oversaturated
Star Wars
Cool! What is your homebrew like?
Jun 23, 2020 1:11 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
Eclipse Phase. Which many people likely haven't heard of. It's Sci-fi, and transportation is basically sending your mind across space to be suited in a new body. The setting is great, sadly the system was easily breakable. Though I have yet to look at the second edition.

Also Shadowrun, but admittedly as very few cyberpunk settings, and I like what I've seen of Eberron. Golarion for Pathfinder is very expansive, and you can almost always find a deity or country for your backstory needs.
I haven't played any of those, but I do enjoy reading about Eberron.
Jun 23, 2020 1:23 pm
dream.knight says:
runekyndig says:
D&D:
Check this forum post
Jun 23, 2020 1:35 pm
runekyndig says:
dream.knight says:
runekyndig says:
D&D:
Check this forum post
That is cool! Lots of creativity. Thanks
Last edited June 23, 2020 1:36 pm
Jun 23, 2020 1:37 pm
D&D homebrew worlds are always great. The more off kilter the better. I’ve always thought it would be cool to play in a game like John Carter of Mars. All of the PCs would be normal humans from modern Earth who end up on an alien planet and gain D&D class abilities along the way while exploring this strange new world and fighting even stranger aliens. If someone wants to run that, I am so in. It sounds like a lot of work to create though.

I have been meaning to purchase Feng Shui 2 for a while. It sounds like an incredibly good time. Wild over the top action along with time travel insanity and secret societies battling for domination. What’s not to love? Of course I meant to purchase and play the first Feng Shui for years but never got around to it.

When I run games I like to use Wushu. I tend to like to create original settings rather than using a published campaign setting. I have one game up using it now that aims to encompass as many action adventure genres as possible. I am working on the setting for a superhero game that will take place in a silver/Bronze age comic book universe. It will be run as a multiple one on one games between a PC and the GM but each player is in the same shared universe, so their actions could effect each other. Naturally there would be the occasional team up or crossover as well.

So basically I like any free form or homebrew original setting that is weird, pulpy, and has cinematic action.
Last edited June 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Im with you. Feng Shui is a really cool system. I have the .pdf for the second edition.

Len

Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm
LightOfMidnight says:
All RPG settings are just simulspaces in the Eclipse Phase setting :D
Jun 23, 2020 4:16 pm
lenpelletier says:
LightOfMidnight says:
Ive never heard of this setting. Sounds interesting.. might take a look.
Jun 23, 2020 4:17 pm
I personally always enjoyed reading about the Ravenloft setting and some darker settings like Black Void or the Kult books.

Len

Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm
Eberron and Ptolus are probably my favorite D&D settings. Eberron makes a lot more sense than most fantasy settings and facilitates a swashbuckling, pulpy play style. Ptolus is a mystery wrapped in an enigma locked in a puzzle.

For scifi I love the Traveller universe. So well designed for space frontier style of play. The whole universe conspires to facilitate a fun game for a maverick crew trying to keep their bucket of bolts in the air. The digital map blows my mind. Here is a great video that explains why this setting works so well.
Jun 23, 2020 5:43 pm
lenpelletier says:
Eberron and Ptolus are probably my favorite D&D settings. Eberron makes a lot more sense than most fantasy settings and facilitates a swashbuckling, pulpy play style. Ptolus is a mystery wrapped in an enigma locked in a puzzle.

For scifi I love the Traveller universe. So well designed for space frontier style of play. The whole universe conspires to facilitate a fun game for a maverick crew trying to keep their bucket of bolts in the air. The digital map blows my mind. Here is a great video that explains why this setting works so well.
Traveller is sure cool! But lordy...it intimidates the hell out of me! lol

I reckon though, enough time sitting down and flipping through it then maybe it isn't as crazy as it seems to me.
Last edited June 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Len

Jun 23, 2020 8:44 pm
dream.knight says:
Traveller is sure cool! But lordy...it intimidates the hell out of me! lol

I reckon though, enough time sitting down and flipping through it then maybe it isn't as crazy as it seems to me.
You could approach it that way if you like. I bet that would be a fun read.

Another way is to just pick a hex, a ship, roll up a crew and start flying. Because of the way space travel is handled, you basically only have to worry about the system you're on and maybe 2 or 3 other systems that are in range at any given time. Depending on where you start, many of these systems are border worlds with only 100 people and a grass field for a starport.
Last edited June 23, 2020 8:44 pm
Jun 23, 2020 8:48 pm
Wow. I must give this a go sometime if someone gets a game going
Jun 23, 2020 9:00 pm
dream.knight says:
lenpelletier says:
LightOfMidnight says:
Ive never heard of this setting. Sounds interesting.. might take a look.
Very true Len.

It's a unique setting. As said unfortunately system not as great. The first edition pdf's used to be free from their site, not sure if that is still the case. Been saving up to grab a copy of second ed.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.