Football RPG

Jul 23, 2020 10:12 pm
I am looking to try and find a game or system I could homebrew that could work for a Football (American) RPG.

My thought would be a focus on playing games as individual players. I guess this could be competitive or cooperative with the GM controlling the opposing team.

I have been trying to figure out a system but I just can't put my finger on the perfect one to homebrew myself

I was thinking of a system of "rounds" that allow for maneuvers and checks by players as the play develops. Not sure if that works or not.
Jul 23, 2020 10:22 pm
Have you played Blood Bowl?
Jul 23, 2020 10:46 pm
I knew of the video game/board game aspects. How might you apply this to a more traditional RPG?
Jul 23, 2020 11:12 pm
That I couldn't say. Blood Bowl would give you the mechanics to handle the football elements. Remove the combat and adapt for additional maneuvers. For off the field play, you could probably use virtually any other system.
Jul 23, 2020 11:33 pm
Blood Bowl lets you handle your own team though, and not just a single player. And it uses special dice with skulls, and explosions and arrows on them...

I might instead suggest looking up on some generic games which allows you a lot of latitude with what you can do with the system, such as Five by Five, Rocket Amoeba, PDQ, Risus, or Fudge, and try to build something up using the building blocks those systems give you...
Jul 24, 2020 12:06 am
I was sort of thinking of something that has "pass/fail" dice checks and competitive checks like FFG's Star Wars/Genesys system but different

Here was my idea:
With plays = combat rounds.
Players choose a play design that has a base yardage
Combat is separated into a "Movement" and "Action" phase
Movement phase, you run your route or whatever
Action phase would "Follow the Ball" with Offense doing things that have a base difficulty that the Defense is competitive against that upgrades or adds to that difficulty

Simplifying a bit
Maneuvers
WR, runs a fade route(Speed vs DB Speed, give a bonus to catches)
DB, uses man coverage (Speed vs WR Speed, gives setback to short route catches)
QB, 5 step drop (QB perception vs LB perception, to succeed and boosts "deep passes")
LB, Blitz the QB (Athletics vs QB perception, gives setback to deep passes)

Actions
QB throws the ball
WR tries to catch the ball

This is the base of the play, off ball players might do something to boost the yardage or affect the next play.

I dunno, seems like it could work

You do not have permission to post in this thread.