Cat & Mouse: Planetside Edition

load previous
Sep 24, 2020 12:21 am
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZUn3wKah-suxEPGVqWk6KZEFgR0LE28h9BOLibl1LQNWrzLmgMRWYA-lnQbEa7MQy-1GZjhEEsmeHxmJO5PLPgNeZVB3t_Fsae_zuObF06MdnUpqgF2-eQldi0EYYO6GRWeS2555uA=w2400

As the droid's continued to pound the top floors with heavy blaster fire - the building shaking and groaning from the strain as below bits of man-made and crystalline rained to the street - Colt joined Arius at a rear door leading to a loading dock that had alley access paralleling the street.

Making his slow way down the building, perhaps thankful he was no longer on the roof and upper floors, V heard Colt order the rest of the squad to open fire on his mark.

The ARC Trooper and Arius quite easily progressed to the end of the alley, catching a bisecting alley that put them in grenade range of the droids that had since gone quiet - perhaps satisfied that with the absence of return fire that they had dispatched their aggressors.

Meanwhile V had painstakingly made his way down to the buildings lobby and taken refuge behind the makeshift barrier Colt had made before, the stims finally taking effect as the ringing subsided in his head. While certainly still feeling the effects of the blast was no worse for wear.
OOC:
We seemed to be struggling a bit with the abstract ranges of the FFG system so I made a very crude diagram.

Keep in mind that Short Range is up to several meters, Medium is several meters to several dozen, and Long if farther than a several dozen meters.

Colt and Arius are now in Short Range (I figured since V had (3) Maneuvers to get down and Arius had (3) Maneuvers to advance to the droids position that I would just skip ahead (so as also not to waste the good Stealth roll.) We are now at the top of the turn which is all the Clones turns.

Unless someone has a different plan Colt will order the squad to fire on the droids. Since the Clone Sergeant formed a squad with the Troopers they are using the Dug In formation (meaning the droids have setback die to use them plus and additional die for cover) but will only get (1) attack (from the Clone Sergeant). Colt and Arius would then throw their grenades? V it would be (3) Maneuvers to join Arius and Colt if he wants go get into the action.
Sep 25, 2020 5:31 am
OOC:
Hmm... I presume the squad are the black dots, Colt and I the big red, and the spiders the small reds?
Sep 28, 2020 6:13 pm
Aspiroth says:
OOC:
Hmm... I presume the squad are the black dots, Colt and I the big red, and the spiders the small reds?
OOC:
I did the map before deciding rather than having Robo explain V's painful descent down the stairs I skipped ahead. My apologies.
I'll revise but the black dots are the spider droids.
Sep 28, 2020 9:44 pm
Reaching the bottom level V injects the stims and the recovering starts. He begins to move ahead near to Colt and Arius, while staying close to the walls.
OOC:
Give me calls, if I should role on stuff, or do it for me for the timesaving, Seuss. Asuming we are in Combat, I'll keep it short: I want to meet with the boys and stay in cover while doing some supporting fire. I WILL NOT engage in real 1v1 combat, resulting in my injuries. These droids would just blast me to the moon. V loves combat, but dying would be the result of idiotic strategies.
Sep 29, 2020 7:41 pm
OOC:
Hmm.... Arius was aiming for the corner of the building behind the droids.
Oct 2, 2020 7:28 pm
Aspiroth says:
OOC:
Hmm.... Arius was aiming for the corner of the building behind the droids.
OOC:
Oops! I believe that you did say that. You can assume that they are another block further up the street (behind the droids) so facing the droids and then at Long Range the Squad.
Oct 5, 2020 6:34 pm
OOC:
Thanks!
"Ready, Sir? Here goes!"

With a brief glance at Colt, Arius steps briefly out of cover, and lobs his frag towards the Spiders, before stepping back into cover, and readying his carbine again. Should his throw go as planned, the grenade would land just in front and between the droids, playing havoc with their targeting as well as driving shards into every available joint.
Last edited October 5, 2020 6:35 pm

Rolls

Ranged - Light (Grenade)

2 Success, 1 Advantage, 2 Failure

Total: 1 Advantage

Oct 6, 2020 1:49 am
The stims flooded V with much needed relief, easing the pain a bit as he moved to the rear to join Arius and Colt in their assault on the droids. Exiting he heard the telltale sound of frag detonations. Indicating that if he hoped to get into the action that he'd best hurry.

Up the street, Arius popped from cover to lob his grenade towards the now idle droids - the heavy cylinder bouncing off the heavy armored exoskeleton to explode in mid-air next to the spider like droids as Colt threw his to land between the metal legs. The resulting explosion sent a shower of crystal and metal debris raining down the alley and harmlessly off the two Clone Trooper's armor.

"You got him Sir!," came the Sergeant's excited voice over the tactical comms, followed by a blaster shot that missed well wide.

The droid's heavy cannon responded, peppering the squad's position down the street with little effect, as the droid seemed clearly to be out of sorts.
OOC:
Top of the order and (1) droid remaining. V is able to use his two moves this round which should get him most of the way there so he would be able to act the following round.
Oct 6, 2020 1:26 pm
Seeing that the remaining droid is still concentrating on the hunkered down squad, Arius steps out, aims carefully at one of the droids' rear legs, and then fires.

In his mind, he is attempting to destroy its stability as a firing platform and, at the same time, further reduce its ability to turn back and forth to effectively fight the flanking team. Not damaging the body further would, in addition, give him a better chance of recovering that blaster cannon. It had been a mistake to come so lightly armed, and he would do his utmost to remedy that.

He watches his shot hit its target, but it is not immediately evident how much damage it did to the metal limb. This time, rather than returning to full cover, he drops to one knee and aims around the corner, preparing to continue firing to cover the others.

At the same time, he thinks, it enables Colt to fire over his head and get back out of harms way.
OOC:
Advantage will be passed on to Colt as per last round.
Last edited October 6, 2020 1:36 pm

Rolls

Carbine Shot

3 Success, 1 Advantage, 2 Failure

Total: 1 Success, 1 Advantage

Oct 8, 2020 2:27 pm
The heavy droid teetered, momentarily put off balance by the impact of Arius's shot to it's heavy armored leg, it's massive cannon beginning to turn towards the pair of troopers as Colt tossed another grenade around the corner. Heat and debris washed over Arius from his position just inside the alley and when the flare from his HUD subsided there was little left of the bulky droid.

Stepping from cover, twin pistols trained on the smoking hulks of the remains of the droids, Colt radioed the squad to join them.
OOC:
If Arius wants to look at what can be salvaged send a Mechanics roll.

Rolls

Ranged (Light)

3 Success, 3 Advantage, 1 Failure

Total: 2 Success, 3 Advantage

Oct 8, 2020 7:02 pm
"Just going to check if those cannon are useable, sir. Looks like I should have brought more firepower. No point in saving weight if we don't reach the supplies."

Arius lopes over to the first mass of tangled metal, taking cover behind its spherical head as the rest of the squad move in. Being far from an expert at weapons tech, he tries to judge the condition of the droid's armament, and if it could be detached without wasting too much time. If he has no luck with the first, he is soon over to inspect the second.

As always, he remains alert, and his weapon at hand should any more enemies turn up.

Rolls

Mechanics (Average Difficulty?)

2 Success, 4 Threat

Total: 2 Success, 4 Threat

Oct 9, 2020 9:03 pm
OOC:
V will use his turns to get to the others.
"Man, why does this building had to be so high... Alright coming up guys... " Exhausted, after running from top to bottom with all the injuries V moves up the street to meet the others.
Oct 11, 2020 6:53 pm
An eerie quiet fell on the burnished and pockmarked street following the skirmish with the Separatist Clankers, the sound of Arius picking through the burned out shells of the spider droids the only sound. Colt saw the Trooper's reasoning behind the salvage effort as sound, but it was quickly becoming evident in the ARC Trooper's body language that the time it was taking to evaluate the guns was making him nervy. Eventually he did order Arius to hurry things up, the trooper finding a cannon that would certainly be usable - in time with a bit of work as the heat from the explosions had melted some of the circuitry but if the Clone Soldier wanted one it was his to carry.
OOC:
Pausing here to allow Arius to decide if he wants to lug the weapon around or not. Keep in mind it may/may not effect his encumbrance threshold. I unfortunately do not have all my books handy but the encumbrance would be the same as the heavy repeating blaster in the Age of Rebellion core book.

@Robobax - V is free to pick through the wreckage as well if he'd like. Average Mechanics roll.

I will then move us on next post.
Oct 12, 2020 12:02 pm
OOC:
I'll take the cannon, please. I can always abandon it later if it proves to be a liability. I'll post IC tonight! ;)
Oct 12, 2020 4:47 pm
Arius grunts as he realizes the weapon is not useable, that he's kept his squad waiting and has nothing to show for it but a load of dead weight until he gets the thing seen to by someone who knows where the red wire goes, and where the green.

As much as he would have preferred to have it useable now, it might even have come in handy when they got back to the lines, but he was half a mind to leave it behind. Hefting it, he grunted again and, cursing his own stubbornness, that sensible half won and he laid the weapon down.

"Sorry for the delay, sir. It's not useable, it will only weigh me down. I'm leaving it."
OOC:
I'm sorry. I wanted to take it, but the size of the thing means it needs to be carried in his hands, and he can't fight like that. There is no way he would make that choice. If that was as hard a decision for him as for me, he has just gained a character trait "love of big guns"!
Last edited October 12, 2020 4:49 pm
Oct 18, 2020 1:46 am
Colt nodded as Arius, perhaps wisely, decided to leave the weapon as the need for speed in pressing on weighing heavily on the decision. With a nod, the ARC Trooper brusquely mentioned that if the Republic was successful in breaking through the blockade that there was a possibility that they could salvage the heavy cannon later. He seemed eager to move on, constantly checking down the street in the direction they had come, admitting concern over the patrol of clankers they had avoided early coming around to investigate.

The quiet continued with the only sound the heavy, armored footfalls of the squads' boots against the hard crystalline road. The flashes and streaks of light from the ongoing battle in the space above Christophsis seemed to intensify - leaving the troopers to wonder on the meaning.

They walked on in quiet for quite some time, before Colt called the Squad to a halt and pulling down the range finder of his helmet. Snorting in frustration he called the Sergeant to the front, "Do those look like Seppies to you?" The squad leader peered through his macrobinoculars before shaking his head, "Locals maybe?"

The ARC Trooper nodded in agreement, "And it seems they have found and claimed our supplies."
OOC:
Pausing here for Arius and V to offer their opinions and/or comments on the situation.
Oct 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Arius nodded as Colt mentioned collecting the weapon later, but then put the matter out of his mind. There was a job to do. Still, not before commenting to V as he paced along beside him.

"You got shot up proper. Good you made it. Next time, maybe we'll be the ones with that firepower!"

He marched with the others, keeping the prescribed distance, weapon at the ready, and quickly takes cover as the Commander stops the squad.

"How many, sir?"

He asked, through his helmet comms unit.

"Any chance of getting them surrounded? Encourage them to hand it over."

Not having any experience of the locals, or for that matter much information, he had little idea what they were dealing with
OOC:
I presume the natives are hostile too?
Oct 21, 2020 7:01 pm
Aspiroth says:
OOC:
I presume the natives are hostile too?
OOC:
Not necessarily. Part of the mission before the Separatists blockaded the planet was assisting Senator Organa in providing relief supplies to the locals (which are human).
Oct 22, 2020 10:21 pm
OOC:
Ah! Noted, but I think the question is still valid!
Oct 23, 2020 2:13 am
Colt knelt, face hidden behind the ARC Trooper helmet though seeming to be peering out in thought towards the group of men hastily gathering the supplies they had been sent to retrieve. The Clone Sergeant to his right alternated between looking through the macrobinoculars in his hand and the assembled group of locals as well and waiting for the Commander's orders. Finally he turned, helmet turning to Arius, "If the blockade holds we'll not only need those supplies but the local militia's assistance as well so we certainly don't want to appear aggressive. Though perhaps we can assist them in the retrieval and see where they are currently holed up and in what kind of numbers ..."

The ARC Trooper's gruff voice tailed off as his helmeted gaze rose towards the horizon where three Acclamator-class could be seen descending through the cloud cover, as the troopers' tactical comms crackled to life as they connected to the ships more powerful communications array. The message being relayed was clear, the Republic had broken the blockade - Commander Colt asking for orders on how to proceed with the local militia.

The following hours were eventful. The local militia after being told of the Squad's presence agreed to help transport the supplies back to the Republic staging area where they would meet up with the rest of their brethren to assist the Grand Army in preparing for the ground war that was sure to follow. Though the Separatist Fleet had been broken, their ground force was still pretty formidable, and the Republic was spread to thin across the galaxy to mount a blockade of their own. It was during the debriefing, prior to linking back up with their respective squads, that they were approached by Commander Colt.

"You men showed some real leadership and tactical thinking out there today," the grizzled trooper said in praise, "You too ever think about Special Forces?"
OOC:
@Aspiroth - this concludes your mini introduction. It appears that we may have lost Robobax but such is the way of PBP it seems. I'll get you your XP and Duty award as soon as I can but tomorrow I hope to start the next Chapter where Arius will join the (for lack of a better term) 'main' thread/group. It will be an introductory post of sorts before diving into things proper.

Thread locked