Cortex Prime?

Aug 15, 2020 7:08 pm
They just released the final version of Cortex Prime to backers and the public version is supposed to go live in September. Has anybody looked at this or tried it? I've seen the previews on the Cortex RPG website and it looks pretty cool, but I find it kind of confusing - probably because I haven't played any versions of Cortex before. It's supposed to be pretty simple and narrative driven, which sounds great.
Aug 15, 2020 7:25 pm
This game sounds incredibly interesting. I'm always up for narrative-driven and rules-light. Can't wait for there to be more genres.
Aug 15, 2020 7:45 pm
I love Smallville and Marvel Heroic seems pretty good as well.
I'll definitely buy this one. Might make a game out of it on here at some point. I dont know yet
Aug 15, 2020 8:03 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Might make a game out of it on here at some point. I dont know yet
Scratches at his pantleg with hopeful eyes
Aug 15, 2020 8:40 pm
I backed Prime, and was a long time fan of Cortex Plus before that. My first game as a player here, and the system that brought me to Gamersplane, was Cortex system.

I kind of hate hyping Prime like this, cuz the Kickstarter was a mismanaged-at-best, or even purposefully exploitative, joke... BUT...

It's probably my favorite "tool box" system. Once you learn it's ins and outs, and how you can relabel and tweak the different "knobs and dials" that it gives you to craft a different feel for a different setting, it is just incredibly powerful, and fast, and flexible, and you can literally create a pretty customized level of crunch and unique feel for your own unique (or an already established IP) setting, with relative ease.

Under the three different Cortex Plus models (which Prime is just a unified version of) one could probably hack up a custom setting in 30 minutes or less.

It's a very narrative focused system, with a range of crunch from "Fate-like" (minimal) to probably Savage Worlds-esque or D&D 5E (mid-range).
Aug 15, 2020 9:20 pm
I’ve been hoping that one day someone would run the Supernatural Role Playing Game on Gamers Plane. Most of my experience is with Cortex Classic, but I’m interested in seeing how Prime works.
Last edited August 15, 2020 9:21 pm
Aug 15, 2020 10:52 pm
Ok, now I'm super interested!!
Aug 23, 2020 2:12 am
I have the Serenity Roleplaying game book. It uses the cortex system.
Aug 23, 2020 2:21 am
Very open to playing this sometime.
Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm
There’s an interest check ina Cortex Prime game in the Games Tavern.
Last edited March 26, 2021 6:50 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.