Crowfall, "Game of Thrones meets EVE"

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 29, 2016 10:03 am
Crowfall is PvP MMORPG with over $10M of budget and 150 000+ accounts, accumulated since Kickstarter in March '15. Players will be physically making their own kingdoms there (by playing Tetris!) and sieging / destroying enemy forts - here is a video about that, with lots of physics and voxels: "Death in the Rubble".

Alpha access is kinda expensive, but there will be open beta i.e. free tests, scheduled just before soft launch "next summer" and requiring only registration on the site. Here is some more early test footage - cartoony looks should enable smooth battles with hundreds of players, collision detection, physics and destruction.

For quick intro & lore, say - it's IGN Wiki, Pantheon (gods) and Archetypes (classes). Here is an Imgur album with hundreds of images and screenshots. Say, a pic of what happens to normal cat (in spring) in the end of Campaign (winter):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/46/f9/bc/46f9bce1dfc1705c9834d9877c686366.jpg

Very important thing is - player's identity is tied to the crow-spirit and NOT the body - this will include frequent changes of class, race and sex!? In other words, once you die you'll have to fly and find a new corpse, unless you got friends and/or spare one nearby.

This, same as Crowfall's progression system, resembles Eve: spirit/body parallels pilot/ship, and bodies can be crafted (or even stolen/looted on some servers) through necromancy skill - in qualities from white/green to epic or legendary, to use WoW terms:

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11127/111276127/5117048-7909548156-bigre.jpg

To tell a story of that comic: at first (pages 4,5) a knight chooses to serve Malekai, the Lord of Shadows, one of 13 gods. God grants him eternal life and other specific benefits, but the knight is obliged to fight and pillage in Malekai's name - this might include building and maintaining god's statues and temples (which also cost gold and resources for taxes and maintenance).

After that (pages 1,2,3), on the 47th day of the War of the False Kings, the knight dies and the crow-spirit leaves to fly and find another body (pages 6,7). On the graveyard nearby, the crow finds the corpse of fallen champion, possesses it and walks away to fight for Malekai again.

...and they all lived happily ever after :D
Last edited November 28, 2016 2:44 am
Mar 29, 2016 11:18 am
Having played Eve Online for nearly a decade, and considering it as the top one or two MMOs of all time, any time a game is compared to it, it's living up to a lot. But this does sound kinda interesting; I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it!
Mar 29, 2016 11:48 am
Keleth says:
Having played Eve Online for nearly a decade, and considering it as the top one or two MMOs of all time, any time a game is compared to it, it's living up to a lot. But this does sound kinda interesting; I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it!
Ah, successful games are inevitably turned into buzzwords. I heard "Eve this and Eve that" a thousand times during all kinds of hype campaigns.

Anyway, the game - or better to say it's vision at this point - has strong Eve elements mixed with Minecraft/Landmark building, and success is certainly not guaranteed.
Apr 6, 2016 9:50 pm
I am guessing no one here has ever heard of an old game called Shadowbane? It was idea based off the SoFaI novels, hell probably 10 to 12 years ago. Basically houses (guilds) could build there own cities and take over territory, etc. It was one of the best MMO's no one ever played. It was plagued by technical problems, but they were trying to do things way ahead of the times. We had a two week war between my guild and it's faction, and the beta guild that originally took over the world at the start. It was one of the most epic MMO experiences I ever had, and is fondly discussed when we all get together. We had about 150 people in our Alliance online at any one time, and had many battles to destroy/save towns that were 200+ PC's fighting it out. I always wish they would redo it. The night our city "Intrepid" was destroyed, which we spent over a year building, the girls in the guild were crying and all kinds of crap. We had people that literally would of killed people in other guilds if they saw them in real life on the opposing side. It was so awesome.

Hopefully these guys pull their inspiration from that game, but with the modern day, make a game even for the stupidest of people means that days of epic stuff like that are gone unfortunately.

Basically I saw this game, have high hopes, but know better after years of Everquest clones, it's just not going to happen and if I go in expecting to be disappointed, maybe I won't be.
Apr 8, 2016 12:31 pm
DMKiado says:
I am guessing no one here has ever heard of an old game called Shadowbane? It was idea based off the SoFaI novels, hell probably 10 to 12 years ago. Basically houses (guilds) could build there own cities and take over territory, etc. It was one of the best MMO's no one ever played. It was plagued by technical problems, but they were trying to do things way ahead of the times. We had a two week war between my guild and it's faction, and the beta guild that originally took over the world at the start. It was one of the most epic MMO experiences I ever had, and is fondly discussed when we all get together. We had about 150 people in our Alliance online at any one time, and had many battles to destroy/save towns that were 200+ PC's fighting it out. I always wish they would redo it. The night our city "Intrepid" was destroyed, which we spent over a year building, the girls in the guild were crying and all kinds of crap. We had people that literally would of killed people in other guilds if they saw them in real life on the opposing side. It was so awesome.

Hopefully these guys pull their inspiration from that game, but with the modern day, make a game even for the stupidest of people means that days of epic stuff like that are gone unfortunately.

Basically I saw this game, have high hopes, but know better after years of Everquest clones, it's just not going to happen and if I go in expecting to be disappointed, maybe I won't be.
Todd J. Coleman, the man who created Shadowbane (and also Wizard 101, Pirate 101 - maybe you heard of these little titles), is the CEO. Also, Raph Koster works on crafting (you can see Todd talking to him there), and there is a bunch of devs from UO, SWG, EVE on team.

While I'm here, some more PvP - Ranger and very first destruction tests from yesterday, the streamer is that guy from EVE. Say, there's some walls breaking @ 44:10+ (and of course, small number of players, rough early tests...yadda...you know it all).
Nov 28, 2016 2:40 am
After Camelot Unchained (my previous thread), back to Crowfall:

- TheLazyPeon's video, first impressions of new "Big World" tests. Basically, it's a step from earlier MOBA-like small scale testing towards bigger MMO servers with crafting, gathering etc. - tho building, guilds, character customization/genders are not in tests yet.

- ItsZiz with recent combat footage.

- Crafting/harvesting demo, the guy speaking is ex-SWG design lead, Thomas Blair.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.