LFP: Lady Blackbird

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 10, 2020 11:41 am
PRIMER
Lady Blackbird is on the run from an arranged marriage to Count Carlowe. She hired a smuggler skyship, The Owl, to take her from her palace on the Imperial world of Ilysium to the far reaches of the Remnants, so she could be with her once secret lover, the pirate king Uriah Flint.

HOWEVER - Just before reaching the halfway point of Haven, The Owl was pursued and captured by the Imperial cruiser Hand of Sorrow, under charges of flying a false flag.

EVEN NOW Lady Blackbird, her bodyguard, and the crew of The Owl are detained in the brig, while the commander of the cruiser, Captain Hollas, runs the smuggler ship's registry over the wireless. It's only a matter of time before they discover the outstanding warrants and learn that The Owl is owned by none other than the infamous outcast Cyrus Vance.

How will Lady Blackbird and the others escape the Hand of Sorrow?

What dangers lie in their path?

Will they be able to find the secret lair of the pirate king? If they do, will Uriah Flint accept Lady Blackbird as his bride? By the time they get there, will she want him to?

https://i.imgur.com/I8nSPJV.jpg

GAME SYSTEM
Lady Blackbird is a free rules-light system with pre-generated characters. It utilizes Traits & Tags, Conditions, Secrets, and an interesting concept of Keys. It's quite a burden-less game. :)

WHY THIS GAME?
I think one-shots are great for PbP (or PbF) games. Given the pace of most games in these formats, one-shots allow us to kind of get right to it and play through some exciting scenarios fairly smoothly and quickly...at least by play-by-post standards.

This game has very easy rules and just about everything you need is on one page.

IS THIS FOR YOU?
If you've played Lady Blackbird before then maybe sit this one out. If you haven't and would like to explore this unique setting then come on. If you're not into an overabundance of games, or like I, kind of new to GP then come on and join us. Also - - trying to shoot for about one post per day or at least about five posts per week.

MATERIALS
I'll supply links and resources within the forum. The game is, however, under the Creative Commons license and is free online. However, I would advise anyone wanting to play to not read the "GM Section" if you decide to acquire the .pdf yourself. It might take a bit of the fun away. Lastly, I want the game to be as easy for you (the Players) as possible so can just enjoy roleplaying one of the five interesting characters.

Cheers!
Last edited September 11, 2020 2:53 am
Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm
I've been thinking about Lady Blackbird for PBP for a while now. I would definitely be interested but I can't join anymore games right now unfortunately.
Good luck with this. It should be great
Sep 10, 2020 12:45 pm
Is this game gong to be public? I'm not interested in joining, but I'd like to see how Lady Blackbird plays out.
Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I've been thinking about Lady Blackbird for PBP for a while now. I would definitely be interested but I can't join anymore games right now unfortunately.
Good luck with this. It should be great
Thank you. I've grown to be more and more fond of these little indie "one-shot" type games. :)
Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm
kalajel says:
Is this game gong to be public? I'm not interested in joining, but I'd like to see how Lady Blackbird plays out.
Sure, I can make it public no sweat!
Sep 10, 2020 1:56 pm
I'd be very interested in trying this!
Sep 10, 2020 3:43 pm
Savage.Wanderer.82 says:
I think one-shots are great for PbP (or PbF) games. Given the pace of most games in these formats, one-shots allow us to kind of get right to it and play through some exciting scenarios fairly smoothly and quickly...at least by play-by-post standards.
Agree, it also avoids the long term commitment which I'm not sure I can do now. Given the system looks very interesting, I could give it a try since another game I'm in just died :D
Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm
I'd very much like to give this a shot.
Sep 10, 2020 5:52 pm
Awesome! Let me know if I need to send you all an invite.

It is my first time running this game and I have been itching to try this out. As I mentioned in my recruitment post, I feel that one-shots and some smaller games work nicely for PbP. I've tried to run epic campaigns and homebrews and all sorts of things, but I've had limited success with actually achieving long-term games. Now, that could be an issue with me...or the players...or a combo of both...or even just the nature of the beast. But, a few times (on other sites), I've put in a lot of work to run big settings with lots of adventurers, but they just fall out over time. It is my hope we all stick with this one to the end.
Last edited September 10, 2020 5:56 pm
Sep 11, 2020 6:40 am
Color me interested. I've just been thoroughly confused by a very intricate character creation for a rules heavy game that fell through before even beginning, so a pre-generated character and a rules light game are just what I need.
Sep 11, 2020 11:06 am
gurthor says:
Color me interested. I've just been thoroughly confused by a very intricate character creation for a rules heavy game that fell through before even beginning, so a pre-generated character and a rules light game are just what I need.
Well, this is definitely one to jump into. :)

Still need one more player!
Sep 11, 2020 2:01 pm
Still need one more player to take the role of Snargle! :)
Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm
I'll throw my hat in. Seems interesting, though, I feel Snargle's Key of Banter might be a bit challenging for me.
Sep 11, 2020 2:28 pm
Don't worry about it, if you'd rather be naomi or kale, we'll be happy to swap ^^
Sep 11, 2020 2:33 pm
It's alright, challenge is a good thing. Can always buy off that particular Key if I fail. I do need more practice playing a more lighthearted characters.
Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm
Nice! Sent you an invite
Sep 11, 2020 3:21 pm
game is now Full! thanks
Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm
Awesome, I've been considering running this game myself recently. It looks really interesting. I've never played, so I would have liked to jump onboard to get a feel before running it myself, but it might be for the best that the game is already full because I'm traveling for the next couple weeks, so my posting might have been a little unpredictable/irregular. I'd enjoy following along as a spectator if you don't mind posting the link to the game forum.
Sep 12, 2020 3:13 am
Chalrytharendir says:
Awesome, I've been considering running this game myself recently. It looks really interesting. I've never played, so I would have liked to jump onboard to get a feel before running it myself, but it might be for the best that the game is already full because I'm traveling for the next couple weeks, so my posting might have been a little unpredictable/irregular. I'd enjoy following along as a spectator if you don't mind posting the link to the game forum.
Not a problem. I made it a public game. It's my first time running it. But, I'm growing fond of these little indie games. :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.