Technoir (getting back together for a new game)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 27, 2020 4:12 am
Hi, me and another player were in a previous game of technoir that was stopped halfway. We are now thinking of starting a new game with our characters again. There is a connection made in the last session, so being together again is simple.

I am hoping for a GM that would be willing to gm for us. Having other players join in is also fine.
Setting/Module wise, it can be whatever you are ok with. For me, I have a preference for it to be Singapore.

Len

Sep 27, 2020 5:13 am
That's awesome to see players looking for a GM. If I knew how to play the system, I'd jump on the chance to acquire already invested players. Good luck!
Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm
Hey, I'm the aforementioned another player! :)

Our characters started in Singapore and it will be easier to restart here, but I have no specific personal preferences for the location.
Or the plot for this matter, although my character is more of an information-gatherer than a fighter. Here is his sheet if you'd like to check who you are dealing with.

@Len, thank you! And if you are up for trying, I certainly won't mind a GM unfamiliar with the system! >:D
Technoir isn't very complex, and there is a free Player's Guide on their site, which has abridged rules for rolling - in case anyone wants a glance at the system's basics.
Last edited September 27, 2020 4:24 pm
Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm
Storywise, I can do noir. Technoir would be different but not too different. The issue would be the mechanics. So a couple questions:
-- Would it be possible to run the story and have the necessary mechanics learned during, leaving the player-side stuff to you guys who already know it for the most part?
-- Is there anything special about creating NPCs that's not in the free material?
Sep 28, 2020 3:52 pm
I was new to the system myself when we first started and didn't get to play much; I won't count on my own knowledge. And it's been a while, too. On the other hand, it's not exactly a very complex sustem, so I'll say it's plausible?

Creating NPCs is another story, but probably can work out too. Technoir has a system for generating "plot nodes" by rolling from tables of pre-determined NPCs, factions, events, objects, etc. But nothing stops you from generating your own storylines as these nodes exist just to save GMs some time. The most important part is that you provide some NPCs who can do favors we used in character generation.

I believe the main rule about generating NPCs is that they usually have the same level of stats as players, or one step (one training program) better. Plus a number of adjectives depending on their difficulty.
Sep 28, 2020 5:57 pm
I'll do it if we keep it to just two players for now. I need to learn it first.
Sep 29, 2020 2:34 am
I'm familiar with Technoir, and also have no problem with the Singapore setting. I usually prefer to run at least 4-5 players in a game though. Gimme a moment to think if I have the bandwidth for this. :)
Last edited September 29, 2020 2:39 am
Sep 29, 2020 11:32 am
I really would prefer to have fewer players here; two would be quite ideal, though bigger groups aren't a deal-breaker. They just tend to slow down too much, and I already have a few slower games. :D

I'm cool with Falcon or Bedzone GMing. RoAries, what about you?

And thank you both for offering, too! :)
Oct 5, 2020 12:57 pm
OOC:
@FlyingSucculent: Yeah, was away from this thread for awhile.
For me, I don't mind having extra players, but I'll respect my buddy's preference for minimal.

BedzoneII seems to be well experienced with the game already, and so that should solve most issues if any come up. It's up to you(Bedzone) to decide if 2 players is easier or not in running an extra game.

For Falconloft, I suppose we could try, but with BedzoneII being more familiar, I think we might go with him first.
Oct 7, 2020 1:43 pm
Thanks for the vote of confidence, and to Falconloft as well for being open about it. I was ready to run a new pbp game, but I'm still not entirely sure I'm prepared to run Technoir for two persons. Pace-wise I can see it'll move faster with two, but I also prefer the slower pace of pbp that a larger group affords. Sorry for the hesitation, it's just when I commit I'm thinking long term, so I just wanted to be sure.
Last edited October 7, 2020 1:43 pm
Oct 7, 2020 10:51 pm
It can be a slow pace with a small group though! :D How slow are we speaking?
And maybe we can try to start, and then add more people if it's not working for you?

I'm not completely opposed to expanding the group (as long as it is less than five people), but I'm just hesitant about it - both because of the pace and because of increased chance of people quitting.
Oct 9, 2020 2:35 am
I'm faithful to once a day posts! On average as a DM I put in 5-7 updates a week depending on player response.

But I hear your two greatest concerns: regularity of posts when there are more players, and the inevitable player drop out. The truth is there's a bit of luck involved, some of my games here have gone on for months, even a year or two, at least a couple have thousands of posts, but many others have fizzled.

What do you think of 4 players?

(As mentioned, I was planning to start a new game, it'll be a dystopian supers game for 5-7 players (so as you can see I really do prefer multi-player dynamics), but I'll put that on hold if I take up this one.)
Last edited October 9, 2020 2:36 am
Oct 9, 2020 2:48 am
Once a day is a slow pace? I'm afraid to ask what is fast for you. :0 Most of the games I'm in don't even come close to once a day - in fact, this might be even too fast for me, though I'll try my best.
It appears that we're also in very different timezones, so I probably won't be able to reply more than once a day.

I'm fine with four players. :) The original game had four players, actually, so that's kinda fitting.

(Hey, I love me some good dystopias; if you do run it, may I watch it?)
Oct 10, 2020 3:27 am
I'd be happy to invite you both to the new game if this game doesn't happen! :)

Ok last question, do you still have the link to your former Technoir game? If not I'll start a new thread, and officially restart this into an interest check thread to invite two more players.
Oct 10, 2020 1:10 pm
I have link to the game page, but it's private and the GM is inactive. I can look for the recruitment thread, but it probably makes more sense to make a new one? :D
Last edited October 10, 2020 1:11 pm
Oct 13, 2020 4:46 am
Joining another game seems also fine, though that would mean either arranging stats, or making a new character.

Yeah, it may be difficult for you to look into our last session. So, I'll go ahead and make one.

The game. It is placeholder for now. Can't see how to change GM role from there...
Last edited October 13, 2020 4:52 am
Oct 13, 2020 4:56 am
You should allow BedzoneII to make the game, if he's going to GM. Otherwise, he won't have access to everything he will need to run it. Assigning a new GM, unfortunately, doesn't provide full access the way the GM creating the game does.
Last edited October 13, 2020 5:14 am
Oct 13, 2020 5:55 am
Thanks RoAries, but yeah as Moonbeam has pointed out, it's easier to let me make the game instead. Both you and FlyingSucculent should have your existing character sheets, which I can add to the game once it's made. In the meantime, for everyone reading this, consider this thread -

a fresh invitation to join a Technoir game!

Technoir is a rules-light system whose main mechanic interestingly revolves around the use of verbs as actions to roll for, and adjectives as modifiers to those rolls. You can find the players' guide here: Technoir

The theme is a mix of cyberpunk, crime and noir, and will lean heavily on social interaction, then combat, but not so much exploration. PCs are on the wrong side of the law, shadowrunners, or outright criminals.

I'm starting (and picking up from) the introductory module Singapore Sling, which is also briefly described in the rulebook, so I'm going to ask you to skip past that. But I have a full-fledged storyline which goes beyond that (and am partial to labyrinthine plots). Your characters may start with their backgrounds firmly set in Singapore, or as newly arriving. We can craft individual backstories for either. We currently have two existing characters, and are looking for two more. I'm comfortable with 4-6 players, but as requested earlier, might stick to 4 for now.

Finally, the blurb:

Singapore Inc is what they call the tiny island-state. In some countries, megacorps rival governments in economic power and political influence; in Singapore, government and corporation are synonymous, an iron fist in a velvet glove. Beneath the endless skyscrapers and towers of power, the seasonal monsoons keep the city streets slick with reflections of neon, but not slick enough to wash away the endless grime of the underclass upon which this futureproof marvel is built. The rest of the ordinary citizens? Well, they pay their taxes and other dues, or face permanent eviction.
Just yesterday, breaking news from the Zenith Group of their latest project: the Singapore Sling, a 50km long railgun capable of launching cargo into orbit, sending both their fame and their stock price stratospherically through the roof.
No one trusts the biggest gun in the world. Do you?
Last edited October 13, 2020 11:49 am
Oct 13, 2020 9:21 am
I am interested if there is still room. Love cyberpunk and noir games, I love the idea of both together. Rules look fairly straight forward.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.