Interest Check | Star Wars Burning Wheel hack

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 5, 2020 1:27 pm
Hey all, this will probably be a hail mary but I've been really wanting to run a Burning Wheel game, and recently found a Star Wars hack for it here. I think BW would be a great system for a down-to-earth SW story (think more Rogue One and Mandalorian than trilogies).

The concept I've been mulling over so far is similar to the Jedi Academy games. Ignore the sequel trilogy, instead Luke is trying to rebuild the Jedi by discovering and training a new generation, while trying to avoid the pitfalls of the past. I'm envisioning about 50% going on missions (recruiting, diplomacy, negotiating, etc.) and 50% at the temple (training, political intrigue, Jedi philosophical drama, etc.).

But BW is a world meant to be built by players and GM together, so we can explore other ideas as well. If you're interested, here are some things to consider first.

1. Please be experienced with BW. If not, at least be willing to learn everything you'll need to know on your own. BW is a complicated game and a lot of the mechanics are hard to understand until you've experienced them in action. I'll be happy to answer questions, but I won't be able to explain the entire game to you through forum posts. This means you must have a copy of the BW rulebook and the Star Wars hack pdf linked above.

2. Be committed. BW more than most other systems really relies on its players to carry a lot of the narrative burden. I'm looking for 3 players who can post regularly (1/day is preferable, or as many posts as it takes to complete a test in the same day) and be proactive with shaping the game narrative.

If all of that sounds fine, please leave a comment saying you're interested!
Nov 5, 2020 5:18 pm
I'm down for a star wars game, particularly if it is more based on legends. I loved the academy game and the whole new republic era. Not familiar with burning wheel but I'm willing to learn new things.
Nov 5, 2020 11:02 pm
Love star wars and I'd love to play, but my system knowledge is narrow. I could do FFG, but learning a new system is out of the cards for me currently. Enjoy the game though! Always love to see more star wars on the site.
Nov 6, 2020 1:01 am
Oof, I love Burning Wheel... have tried multiple times to get a game going here on GP using it, over the years. Played in one that was relatively successful... Once ran a tutorial "session" just to teach ppl the character burning process to try to drum up a larger player base... So I can definitely say I meet requirement 1.

But I'm pretty low on bandwidth atm, and this hack looks pretty... thorough. Went to download your link and found I already had the file on my Google drive :P

Can you tell me, is the Force very different from standard Sorcery? And does it have any other unique rules?
Nov 6, 2020 1:50 am
emsquared says:

Can you tell me, is the Force very different from standard Sorcery? And does it have any other unique rules?
The Force works almost exactly like Sorcery, they even call it Sorcery in the book. The only new mechanics is the Force has two emotional attributes: Empathy and Hatred (light and dark side) that function very similar to other racial emotional attributes like Grief and Greed. Every time you use the Force, you log a test vs one emotion or the other. So it's a constant balancing act between light and dark sides.

KCC

Nov 6, 2020 3:26 am
I’d be game! Though I’d have to do some reading! But I’m in! Loved those games growing up.
Nov 6, 2020 4:14 am
optimumsquare says:
I'm down for a star wars game, particularly if it is more based on legends. I loved the academy game and the whole new republic era. Not familiar with burning wheel but I'm willing to learn new things.
Here's a great summary video on the system. If it looks like you'd enjoy it and you can find a copy of the book you're welcome to join.
Nov 6, 2020 6:46 pm
Ok, if you have room, I have the Burning Wheel, played Torchlight, but only read the Burning Wheel rules a few times through, are we needing the Magic Burner for The Force? Or is that in the supplement/hack?
Nov 6, 2020 6:49 pm
I guess I should read the "Star Systems" pdf, looks like artha and force are synonymous....
Nov 7, 2020 12:03 am
umbraldragon says:
Ok, if you have room, I have the Burning Wheel, played Torchlight, but only read the Burning Wheel rules a few times through, are we needing the Magic Burner for The Force? Or is that in the supplement/hack?
I'm guessing you mean Torchbearer :p. The SW setting has everything you need that's not in the BW core book. Yeah artha is directly tied to the Force and is the narrative fiction way of describing you reaching out to the Force. I've only read through the rules one so far, but I think it's only narrative and not mechanical.
Last edited November 7, 2020 12:03 am
Nov 7, 2020 2:48 am
yeah torchbearer, though I was speaking off the cuff, it was about 2 years ago. lol.
Nov 7, 2020 3:21 am
So is the game on? Do we have enough interest?
Nov 7, 2020 4:11 am
I was looking at Monastic Setting since I wanted to play a twi'lek jedi of some kind,but I couldn't find any path that would lead to Jedi unless I skipped from one setting to another. I guess Fringe Setting?
Nov 7, 2020 4:27 am
optimumsquare says:
So is the game on? Do we have enough interest?
Yeah we have enough. I'll be setting up the game soon.
Nov 7, 2020 5:26 am
umbraldragon says:
I was looking at Monastic Setting since I wanted to play a twi'lek jedi of some kind,but I couldn't find any path that would lead to Jedi unless I skipped from one setting to another. I guess Fringe Setting?
It seems the only setting for Jedi Knight is in the Military setting. The Fringe setting padawan doesn't have a lead to Military. If you want to be a child who was a padawan the quickest way would be Monastery > Glittering Spires > Military. If you want to be a late bloomer than you could have a few life paths and end up in military through some combat life paths and then take Padawan and Jedi Knight there.
Nov 7, 2020 8:18 am
Popping in just to say I hadn't imagined Burning Wheel could support the Star Wars setting, but certainly why not? I'm going to go read up on it, have fun and all the best in your game!
Nov 7, 2020 8:46 am
BedzoneII says:
Popping in just to say I hadn't imagined Burning Wheel could support the Star Wars setting, but certainly why not? I'm going to go read up on it, have fun and all the best in your game!
Thanks! It's a much less action-oriented system but I think it'll be great for a grounded character-focused game.
Jan 12, 2021 6:09 am
Looking for two more players familiar with Burning Wheel and want to explore the Star Wars universe with it. Current setting does not follow any canon timeline, but roughly follows the old EU stuff with the rebuilding of the Jedi Praxeum on Tavin. Currently have two players just assigned their first mission so it's a good time for new players to jump in. They don't have to be a Jedi, but should have some reason to work at the Praxeum. Other slots could be a Padawan or a grizzled Jedi Master.
Jan 12, 2021 6:29 am
I'lll play if it ISN'T burning wheel.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.