New kid on the block

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 7, 2020 4:57 pm
I stumbled upon this site while looking (again) for viable play-by-post systems. I also have an insane rpg itch going on, so I thought I should poke around here!

My name is Spooky, I've been playing Pathfinder for about 4 years now and it's consumed my life. I also have some practice with FATE Core. My roleplaying journey as a whole dates way back to 2006, so forum play is how I first started. Interesting that I ended up back here again!

My favorite genres are medieval fantasy/adventure and sci-fi. Magic is pretty much always a must! I prefer playing mages and support/control type characters, but Barbarians are also awesome.

If anyone is willing to recommend (and I understand what this site is about) a system they think works best for play-by-post, do share! I'm trying to run a Pathfinder game via Discord with a group that has no shared freetime, and so far I've thought to instead run it in FATE, but it's a very grandiose rise to power adventure. (For those familiar, the original campaign uses the Mythic ruleset pretty early on in the overall game, so yes: epic story.) I worry that FATE won't convert well (and strip the players of the significance of ascending) but that Pathfinder would take too long to advance or become a hassle.

And if I should ask that particular question elsewhere, let me know. Otherwise, I'm very excited to explore this site and possibly join some games. If it goes well, I may put the one I'm trying to run here!
Nov 7, 2020 5:25 pm
Welcome Spookiboo. Imho, anything can work well on pbp, but what works best are systems where there isn't a lot of negotiating results. GM calls for a roll, player rolls, you're done. Each time you have to go back and forth on a single roll, add two days.

I've found great success in pbp with Cypher System (including Numenera, The Strange, and the more universal Cypher System) as it's an extremely simplified d20 system but is super flexible.
Nov 7, 2020 5:44 pm
I concur with what Qralloq said. Welcome to GP!
Nov 7, 2020 5:50 pm
Hello and welcome!
Nov 7, 2020 7:38 pm
Heya.

I also am a avid pathfinder who started with forums, then ended up back at them.

I've been trialling some pathfinder here. I found APs have too many encounters really, especially as pathfinder combat can take forever. Holding out on my homebrew mythic game. Its going slowly, but that's entirely my fault and not the system or players

Edit: Forgot to add players are starting to allow me to make rolls for me, etc, to help speed things.
Last edited November 7, 2020 8:23 pm
Nov 7, 2020 8:12 pm
Welcome! To add to what others have said, negotiate-the-results systems can work as PbP, too, but you have to have players who are proactive in suggesting things for what they roll. For instance, Star Wars uses a dice pool with narrative symbols, and those narrative symbols have to be interpreted in collaboration with the GM. If you have players who roll and stop there, the game slows down. But if you get them to commit to proposing what the results mean as soon as they roll them, things go much more smoothly.

Tl;dr: Anything can work. Some systems require more player proactivity, though.
Last edited November 7, 2020 8:13 pm

Len

Nov 7, 2020 9:51 pm
Welcome to Gamers Plane, Spooky!
Nov 7, 2020 10:17 pm
Welcome aboard
Nov 7, 2020 11:45 pm
Welcome, SpookiBoo!

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Nov 17, 2020 12:14 am
Welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.