Kinda New

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 7, 2020 11:42 pm
Greetings, all!

I've been a member since 2018 but not active during that time. I have only recently decided to give the site a test spin and see about playing in a game or two (if I can find one), and running one.

I have been playing RPGs for a long time. And when I say "long" I mean that I started on the original D&D box set. When it was new. So ... yeah. And, while I no longer play any of the D&D/PF/d20 iterations, I have played just about every tabletop RPG system out there. And, since work and family had so long kept me from face-to-face games, PbP and on-line gaming has become my mainstay.

I have run and played in enough PbP games to understand that the two things that tend to kill games are time and interest - or, more appropriately, the lack of either. When time becomes short in real life or is taken up in minutiae (such as combat), players can lose interest. And, when interest wanes due to changing whims, time constraints, or lackluster stories/GM/players, players drop off and games die. I wish I had a magical fix to both of these conundrums, but, I do not. But, if I manage to successfully get a game off the ground here, you will hopefully find that I attempt to keep diverse groups of players engaged, in part by not always requiring everyone be in one group or party. Some players may have a posting speed not on the same pace as others, and that is okay! If it is possible, I may have two or more groups active and acting at a pace that keeps them involved and engaged.

I look forward to getting to learn more about the site and seeing how some of the games are actually run here so I can understand better how to put my own game(s) together!
Nov 7, 2020 11:44 pm
Welcome, cdwjava!

If you've been around, these links probably aren't new to you but they're always worth checking out :)

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Nov 7, 2020 11:51 pm
Welcome aboard
Nov 7, 2020 11:52 pm
Welcome cdwjava. We're of similar origin stories it seems. I hope you find some great players and games.

If you are interested in playing something specific, throw a post into the Games Tavern. Many games have started because a player expressed wanting one rather than a GM initiating.
Nov 7, 2020 11:56 pm
Welcome... or welcome back? Or glad to still have you around? Pick whichever one you prefer...
Nov 8, 2020 12:00 am
bowlofspinach says:
Welcome, cdwjava!

If you've been around, these links probably aren't new to you but they're always worth checking out :)

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Thanks!

The other threads I was aware of, but, I think I missed the Discord server - I'll look that up!

I have a few questions I am trying to find answers to, but, I will reserve them until I've hunted around with a bit more gusto (to avoid slapping my forehead with a "Doh!" if the answer is staring me in the face).

Len

Nov 8, 2020 12:11 am
Welcome back, cdwjava!
Nov 8, 2020 12:53 am
Welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.