Listing of applied games

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 9, 2020 6:59 am
Be nice if there was a function that would list all the games you have applied to. Since they don't show up on the normal games list that you want to apply to. Short of memorizing what you applied to there is no listing.
Nov 9, 2020 7:39 am
This is a great task for a spreadsheet.
Nov 9, 2020 9:41 am
Jeez Gene - just how many games are you applying to that you can't remember them?

This is RPG, not pokemon - you don't have to catch them all (forgive me if I've mangled that reference - I know nothing about pokemon other than "you gotta catch em all" and one's called Pikachu).
Nov 9, 2020 9:50 am
Been playing a long time. You think that I should drop some games?
Nov 9, 2020 9:59 am
That's not for me to say. You do you.

What's the use case here? You applied to games a long time ago and now you want to find them because....?
Nov 9, 2020 11:08 am
I like to know what games I'm waiting on. Right now, after you apply there is no way to bring them back up. You can't even look at the game to see what it was about.

(I don't think software wise it is very hard to add in a spot that just list games that you have applied for.)

So you have the games your in, the games you can apply to, and now the games that you have applied to but not accepted.
Nov 9, 2020 4:26 pm
I don't think it's the site's responsibility to track games you've applied to. That's why I suggested keeping a spreadsheet. If you are applying to so many games that you can't remember them, then you should start a list. Every time you apply for a game, add it to the list.
Last edited November 9, 2020 4:27 pm
Nov 9, 2020 4:39 pm
GeneCortess says:
I don't think software wise it is very hard to add in a spot that just list games that you have applied for.
Everything's easy if you're not the bugger who has to code it! I reckon Moonbeam's right, a spreadsheet or notebook sounds like your best bet mate.
Nov 9, 2020 4:57 pm
Well, it's not a bad suggestion. It may make it convenient when you have to withdraw your application because the GM hasn't explicitly approved nor denied it, and you're done waiting.

Regardless, we can add the suggestion to the list of improvements. Whether or not it is implemented, and when, will depend on other priorities and time.
Nov 9, 2020 5:04 pm
CancerMan says:
Well, it's not a bad suggestion. It may make it convenient when you have to withdraw your application because the GM hasn't explicitly approved nor denied it, and you're done waiting.

Regardless, we can add the suggestion to the list of improvements. Whether or not it is implemented, and when, will depend on other priorities and time.
I agree. It's not a bad suggestion.
Nov 9, 2020 5:15 pm
I forgot to add that while we wait for this suggestion to bear fruit, the workarounds that others have mentioned can be used.
Nov 9, 2020 5:21 pm
Moonbeam says:
I don't think it's the site's responsibility to track games you've applied to.
Adam says:
Everything's easy if you're not the bugger who has to code it!
Well, to be fair, site's responsibility is to be functional and convenient for the users, so having a feature that allows its users not to use third party tools to utilize said site should always be considered. Easy or not. Platforms like these are not exactly easy to make but they offer convenience, without them the only way for us to be able to have a long distance game with less time restrictions would still be play by email. So, it is a fair suggestion for future feature.
Last edited November 9, 2020 5:22 pm
Nov 9, 2020 5:38 pm
Site's responsibility?

Keleth has provided this labour of love to his fellow gamers for free - it's clearly already functional and convenient, or why are we still here?

I'm sure he'll consider suggestions, but Keleth's responsibility doesn't really extend beyond giving us notice before kicking us out of his home.
Nov 9, 2020 5:39 pm
MagnificentFly says:
Well, to be fair, site's responsibility is to be functional and convenient for the users, so having a feature that allows its users not to use third party tools to utilize said site should always be considered. Easy or not. Platforms like these are not exactly easy to make but they offer convenience, without them the only way for us to be able to have a long distance game with less time restrictions would still be play by email. So, it is a fair suggestion for future feature.
Well, the way I understand it, if you apply to a game and that game goes forth without the GM accepting you into it, they are most likely just deleting your application. So I would be surprised if there are a lot of apps just hanging out there. It doesn't require anyone to withdraw their application. If you applied and heard nothing, then the game was likely filled and the GM discarded extra applications with the click of a few links.

Either that, or the game simply fizzled without actually beginning, in which case you could withdraw your application, but it's moot anyway.

I'm not saying that this isn't a potential nice-to-have feature (though definitely way down the list of features that would provide meaningful quality-of-experience improvements), but having applications out there that haven't been resolved isn't a pressing systemic issue, and tracking one's own seems like a relatively simple alternative to asking for a new feature.
Nov 9, 2020 5:39 pm
I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the issue here. If I apply to a game and never hear back from the GM, I just assume that I wasn't accepted and move on. Is it critical to have the site display a list of GMs who have rejected me? Is that useful to the community?
Nov 9, 2020 5:49 pm
I've watched at least one GM state that they'd encourage over applying (10 people apply for five spots, maybe) and them keep the unaccepted applications in their game 'pending' if you will, in the event of player attrition. Months could go go by before that occurs.
Last edited November 9, 2020 5:50 pm
Nov 9, 2020 5:55 pm
Let's not get into an argument over what can and cannot be implemented.

The suggestion has been made. We'll add it to the list. In the meantime, there are workarounds.
Nov 10, 2020 2:30 am
I'm gonna agree it's the site's responsibility to tell you what games you're applied to. If I can't/don't add it to this version, it'll be added to the next one. Sorry for the delay on the new version, I'm struggling mentally with the quarantine.
Nov 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Arent we all! Hang in there, Ro!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.