CREW GENERATION

Nov 17, 2020 4:50 pm
Liminal technically operates using a "Crew" as the foundation for stories and adventures. There are two ways to accomplish this, as I see it.

(1) The characters start off knowing each other and have come together in some sort of crew (organization, cabal, club, group, etc.) to pursue some common interest. In this case we would have to come up with a concept and what they seek to accomplish. What do they share, and how do they work together? Do they trust each other? Or, do they tolerate each other only so long as they seek the same goals? Or, something else? In this case we would create the Crew as set out in the book and use this space to come up with their mutual reasons to be together and the resources they might share.

Option (2) is that the characters may or may not know each other, but they come together/cross paths and discover that each of them has a part to play in something that has transpired or is unfolding. This method would likely result in a series of smaller solo or small group threads (which is perfectly fine) and might mean that developing into a "Crew" might take longer. But, it has the advantage of working out the kinks of the interpersonal relationships during play and not having to manufacture it ahead of time. But, it can take a while.

Note that there are benefits to being part of a Crew. But, I don't necessarily need that foundational piece of fiction to get the ball rolling and get the characters involved with each other.

Any thoughts on which method we might prefer to take? Or, some other angle?
Nov 17, 2020 5:26 pm
I can go either way but I have found it is best to have at least some kind of group (or connection) otherwise we would be just playing a bunch of solo-games and as stated the game is sort of designed to be used with a Crew and group dynamics can play a major element into role-playing that would get lost (for quite some time) if we do not make some kind of connection (not necessarily a full blown organized crew per-sae) up front.

I am sure some of you (or all) have noticed that TheFoxofFinch and I are creating a minor "Crew" in that we are assigned partners that work for the P Division further if anyone else wanted to have a tie in with a Weretiger who hunted down the bad supernatural creatures and did his best to put them down permanently prior to hooking up with P Division I am open to that. Of course now he only does it when its necessary which considering his volatility kind of still happens enough to not be too much different than it used to be it is just more legit now. You cannot change a tiger's stripes ya know ;)

That being said -- we work for P Division -- so perhaps one or more of you are some of the contacts/informants (outside resources) that we might have in helping us do our job and maybe your character knows one or both of us.

My Character's Drive : To protect others from harmful supernatural beings (Top of the list kill Vampires as they are a parasitic infestation -- or perhaps most but not all -- its a rather fuzzy line sometimes -- as he is slowly discovering)
Last edited November 17, 2020 6:34 pm
Nov 17, 2020 6:04 pm
Sprout Simon could definitely be a part of a crew. As a Changeling and fortune teller, he's certainly an excellent resource for investigations. His Oathbound nature make him a somewhat reliable, rather than mercurial source of info. His drive is to uncover a dark future he saw in a divination.
Nov 17, 2020 6:38 pm
Great Qralloq so do you think Sprout might be more inclined to have hooked with a Weretiger Protector or a Gutter Mage -- or some how with both? Did we discover Sprout by potentially saving him from something bad or did Sprout have visions that brought them to one or both of us? Just throwing out potential ideas to see if any of them strikes your fancy.
Nov 17, 2020 7:07 pm
Those all sound great. He probably gets into trouble from time to time, and maybe that's how it started, saved from a mob. Later, he approached the dynamic duo after clues to a ruthless criminal was identified in one of his visions.
Nov 17, 2020 7:50 pm
Okay the concept of rescue I was thinking was more supernatural in nature something you crossed paths with for some reason that was not overly pleasant -- something maybe Pat was tracking down -- but I crowd could work too but that would probably be more Eddie's expertise. I mean sure Patrick could probably easily handle the mob but that might have gotten rather messy rather fast ;)

But that later works too -- maybe perhaps Sprout was at the right place at the right time to witness Patrick and/or Eddie taking care of a supernatural threat perhaps associated with a friend of his and then after that came to them when he had that vision. Again just tossing out ideas -- maybe TheFoxofFinch will chime in with some ideas too
Last edited November 17, 2020 10:59 pm
Nov 17, 2020 8:16 pm
Maybe the mob was incited by a supernatural cause...

KCC

Nov 18, 2020 8:31 am
My drive is to protect you guys as we go about our shenanigans. Maybe a bit lame and listless but there it is! I’m the warden. I guard things. So I guess starting as a crew would work!
Nov 18, 2020 3:14 pm
Well looks like a pre-existing crew might be how things are going we just need perhaps the GMs input of how to weave all the elements together. Still what is the backstory to your character KCC69 ? Maybe we do a little preliminary weaving in the meantime
Last edited November 19, 2020 10:07 am
Nov 19, 2020 12:32 am
Are there any natural associations that might appear here? The two P Division characters can, of course know each other. Are there any other natural connections?

Alternatively, if we want to have a pre-existing association, we can come up with the why aspect and then build the details of how the characters know each other while engaged in play. We can build the Crew and come up with the how and why as we move into roleplay.

There are a listing of some NPCs in the Scabard site that could be used. Also, if desired, I can begin a short past roleplay connecting the PCs through one of the NPCs (Hint: It'd be Kebi Abdou) and use that as the founding link.

Thoughts?
Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm
Here's my thought ...

I can start people into one or more roleplays (maybe not all together at the same time, but, one or two at a time and leading in to a group scene). We can assume they have already become part of a Crew prior, and allow the narrative to sort of flesh out the how and why of it, and build the specifics of the Crew a bit later.

The reason I suggest this is that it might allow us to get a feel for the characters before locking them into any particular goal or objective for a Crew. I have found that my initial thoughts on a character sometimes change slightly as I play them, and I imagine most of you have had similar experiences. Though, given the assorted backgrounds and drives, I'm thinking justice - or, at least, fairness and equity - may be a foundational principle for all involved.

Thoughts?
Nov 19, 2020 6:38 pm
Currently I am seeing Detective Eddie Edwards (TheFoxofFinch) being the glue and the sort of defacto leader with Detective Patrick McGregor (DeJoker) being his wyld-card muscle he has to reign in at times -- and the other two Sprout Simon (Qralloq) and Yanric Hahn (KCC69) would have most likely hooked up with Detective Eddie Edwards (TheFoxofFinch) although Detective Patrick McGregor (DeJoker) could have been part of that hook up but would not be essential unless muscle was needed in the situation.
Nov 20, 2020 5:21 pm
DeJoker says:
Currently I am seeing Detective Eddie Edwards (TheFoxofFinch) being the glue and the sort of defacto leader with Detective Patrick McGregor (DeJoker) being his wyld-card muscle he has to reign in at times -- and the other two Sprout Simon (Qralloq) and Yanric Hahn (KCC69) would have most likely hooked up with Detective Eddie Edwards (TheFoxofFinch) although Detective Patrick McGregor (DeJoker) could have been part of that hook up but would not be essential unless muscle was needed in the situation.
We can make that work.

I'm going to start a scene - probably a prequel - with Yanric, and we may be able to add the others to it as well. Or, I can create scenes for each of you to sort of set the stage as prequels. With individual scenes to start it will give everyone a chance to post at their own rate as they get a feel for their characters (and my writing/play style) and we can ease into things.
Nov 20, 2020 8:02 pm
I have a post with Yanric up as a prequel thread in the In Character roleplay forum.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.