Theme

Apr 10, 2016 9:41 pm
Alright, I'm just gonna brainstorm some theme ideas for a dungeon.
Apr 10, 2016 9:44 pm
In no particular order:

Arboreal village (giant interconnected treehouse)
Bullywug swamp temple
Ghost town
Pirate treasure island
Apr 10, 2016 9:50 pm
Haunted Swamp (clues lead to different options as you move from one area to the next. You get what you follow -- i,e: "To the west you hear the sounds of children playing, to the north you see a bright light shining through thick fog")

Roots of the world-tree (go kill the serpents eating the roots)

Delve into the Shattered Mind of a Genius (what kind of genius? Goal is to recover a piece of information?)

A town where an annual tribute keeps the Avatar of Delirium asleep. This year something threatens to interfere/prevent the tribute.
Apr 10, 2016 11:58 pm
I'm down with all things frog people.

I like the third option Jesse has. A psyche fueled dungeon would be system neutral and could explore things like basic psychological ideas. Could have Freudian or Jungian based enemies/allies. It may be a bit difficult to visualize an A>B>C type dungeon though . . .

What about an blood island stronghold of a samurai vampire?

A reversal. Save a Dragon from a Princess.

Could revamp the Frost Giant Palace/White Dragon Lair?

Floating Fortress of a storm Giant Diviner who can predict the PCs actions?

An ancient library forgotten to time. Full of possessed books?

Something featuring a chariot race?

Something featuring this dude: http://img01.deviantart.net/735e/i/2014/050/8/5/angel_knight_by_kekse0719-d775l16.jpg Maybe he's been possessed byt the bad guys? Maybe he's fallen. Maybe if you defeat him, PCs gain the ability to use his special weapon.

Underground nothic hanging from the ceiling style dungeon.

The grand sepulchre?

Something based around the Titan's Goblet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Titan%27s_Goblet

Winter of the Minotaur: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/19/8c/0f/198c0fa93ce8effce0f9acd19c14194f.jpg
Apr 11, 2016 1:15 pm
Haunted Bullywug swamp with a crocodile chariot race.
Apr 11, 2016 9:54 pm
"In the heart of Skull Swamp, the frogmen keep their sanity only through deadly crocodile charioteering. Will your PCs survive the course?"
Apr 12, 2016 10:01 am
themightykobold says:
"In the heart of Skull Swamp, the frogmen keep their sanity only through deadly crocodile charioteering. Will your PCs survive the course?"
I find this acceptable.
Apr 13, 2016 4:08 am
Other thoughts? If we can decide on a theme then we can move forward with actual design.
Apr 14, 2016 12:30 am
themightykobold says:
That's pretty amazing.

If there is something threatening their sanity, then the race would likely be a religious ritual to appease whatever-it-is. Perhaps a dungeon-on-rails? The race maybe involving travel through various dreamscapes, the next of which would depend upon how you resolve the current one? So it would vary by playthrough, but there'd be no backtracking to a previous "room".

"Your chariot careens through the temple, your crocodiles' legs windmilling furiously under the lash, untold piles of loot flashing by as you hone in on the scepter standing on the distant altar. But the temptation proves too much for your warrior and he leans over, sword outstretched to snag a glittering gemstone necklace as it goes past. At the moment of contact you feel the world around you lurch, and an instant of dislocation ends with your chariot stuck and sinking into the waters of a bog. The world is dark around you. Ahead through the trees is the glitter of a fire and the twisted silhouettes of a cabal of Id Wizards as they gibber and dance around it."
Apr 14, 2016 12:56 am
If we can all agree on this theme then we can start building up the dungeon with their iterations. It would be like an "instance" from MMORPGs. I'm wondering how we graphically and textually represent a dungeon with different dreamscapes on a single page.
Apr 15, 2016 7:05 pm
Hmm. Simplest form would be a flowchart: each instance would be a picture of something relevant and a blob of descriptive text, including possible outcomes A, B, etc. Arrows/paths from one instance to the other possible ones would also be labeled A, B, etc. 'S a bit boring, but it works.
Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm
A>B or C
B>D or E
C>E or F
D>G or H
E>H or I
F>I or J
G, H, I, or J>Finish Line.

To reduce the amount of options needed (i.e. not creating exponential options) I had some options double up.
Apr 15, 2016 8:19 pm
Formatting was being stupid so I printscreened it and put it here:

http://i.imgur.com/hPXhKK6.jpg
Apr 15, 2016 8:27 pm
Are we set on the Haunted Bullywug Chariot Race?
Apr 15, 2016 8:34 pm
I'd be cool with The Fantastic Psyche Voyage.
Apr 16, 2016 8:08 pm
We could utilize unused themes as node options as well.
Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
I like the bullywug race idea, but how would players be involved in that? I feel like the chariot race is one scene within a swamp-dungeon?
Apr 17, 2016 1:07 am
I think Jon was saying that it's the entirety of the dungeon, like the players are riding their chariot through the dugeon, interacting with varous pieces that lead them through different paths to the end.
Apr 17, 2016 1:22 am
Pretty much; I was thinking that the haunted Bullywug swamp would be the start and/or end. Like, the race is through the haunted part of the swamp, maybe a half-sunken temple or something, and even though the track looks really short the middle of it dumps you through a series of dreamscapes ala Jaeger's flowchart above. So main goal would be survival through the end of the race, with maybe a secondary goal hidden in there somewhere? Players would either be frog-men themselves, or captured prisoners, or adventurers who volunteered for the thrill, etc.

I guess the overarching book-end scenario could be something else, but I like the idea of players needing to look after a pair(?) of cantankerous harnessed crocodiles in addition to the various other perils =D
Apr 17, 2016 1:33 am
(We could build in a small loop into the scenarios, b>c>a>b etc., and have a lost Paladin npc who's stuck forever because they absolutely refuse to resolve those three scenarios "incorrectly". Heh; Paladins)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.