New member looking for the answer

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 5, 2020 2:33 pm
Hello everyone. New member here. As said in the title, I am looking for the answer to gaming as an adult. Here's step one so I will let you all know whoever reads this that I found this site after searching for ways to game that worked with my life. I haven't been able to game in person for quite a while. I don't know how this play-by-post works with everyone waiting on post s but I hope this works out. I have pretty significant social anxiety and so playing with strangers has never been an option for me, but I feel like play by post would take out that anxiety since we're not interacting face-to-face or screen to screen.

I started gaming with d&d 3e and although I enjoy 5e, I would like to learn more games. And so now according to the new player guide I will look for a game.
Dec 5, 2020 2:55 pm
Welcome GuardianRory. It seemed to me when I joined PBP gaming they it would be too slow to be satisfying, but the opposite is true. It's definitely different but in many many ways superior to face to face play.

I hope you find some great games, and lots of new systems get played. Generally, GMs when posting am Interest Check in the Games Tavern will specify if prior knowledge of a system is required (and that's unusual). If they don't, just ask.
Dec 5, 2020 2:59 pm
Welcome! PBP is a whole world of fun for you to look forward to.
Dec 5, 2020 3:41 pm
Welcome, GuardianRory!

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Dec 5, 2020 3:52 pm
Qralloq says:
Welcome GuardianRory. It seemed to me when I joined PBP gaming they it would be too slow to be satisfying, but the opposite is true. It's definitely different but in many many ways superior to face to face play.

I hope you find some great games, and lots of new systems get played. Generally, GMs when posting am Interest Check in the Games Tavern will specify if prior knowledge of a system is required (and that's unusual). If they don't, just ask.
o.0 superior to face to face?? I'll take your word for it but that sounds kind of incredible to claim. Thanks for the greeting.
Dec 5, 2020 3:53 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Welcome, GuardianRory!

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
I'm a little surprised to hear that a play-by-post community has a discord server since that sort of communication would seem to be favorable to forums. Do some people play on the Discord? Thanks for the welcome.
Last edited December 5, 2020 3:53 pm
Dec 5, 2020 4:01 pm
Quote:
o.0 superior to face to face?? I'll take your word for it but that sounds kind of incredible to claim. Thanks for the greeting.
I wouldn't have believed it either when I originally joined but it does have a lot of benefits over live play, at least in my opinion.
Quote:
I'm a little surprised to hear that a play-by-post community has a discord server since that sort of communication would seem to be favorable to forums. Do some people play on the Discord? Thanks for the welcome.
People don't play on that discord server but there have been games (at least one) on Discord before. In rapid-fire playing, discord would be better but in a pbp, I prefer a forum.
Dec 5, 2020 4:18 pm
This is sounding better by the minute.
Dec 5, 2020 5:02 pm
Welcome aboard.
Discord is used to bat ideas around. Some DMs use it as an out of character area to not clutter the forum. There is a DM mentoring channel as well.
Last edited December 5, 2020 5:03 pm
Dec 11, 2020 12:50 am
Hello and welcome!

Len

Dec 11, 2020 9:15 am
Welcome aboard!
Dec 11, 2020 3:29 pm
Howdy! You should find plenty of D&D (and other games) here.
Dec 11, 2020 3:49 pm
Welcome, GuardianRory!
GuardianRory says:
Qralloq says:

I wouldn't say it's superior, necessarily. Because I cherish the social aspect of rpgs so much. Many of my best and oldest friendships were formed around a gaming table...

But if you have social anxiety, the impersonality of pbp is probably more of a feature I would imagine not a bug.

And that said, I have absolutely had some of the best RP moments ever in my multi-decade RPing career in pbp. And also you can still come to know your fellow gamers still via pbp, just in a separated-by-the-internet kind of way...

Point is, it's a 100% viable and great way to experience the hobby.

Enjoy!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.