Why GamersPlane?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 10, 2020 3:59 am
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site, but in general I am curious as to what pulled you to this site versus the myriad of other PBP options available. I'm in no way knocking on this site at all, just getting to the root of what keeps you here. I'm especially interested in anyone that uses this site exclusively versus a service like Discord. Thanks for your time and reply, it is appreciated. :)
Last edited December 10, 2020 4:01 am
Dec 10, 2020 4:03 am
I can't imagine playing PbP in a chat app like discord. It is too hard to store information and read through everything. What keeps me here is its the most active PbP site I've found. I really like the aesthetic and some features of Tavern Keeper, but the site is must less active and has a real lack of basic features. The less said about Roll Gate the better lol.
Dec 10, 2020 4:06 am
nezzeraj says:
I can't imagine playing PbP in a chat app like discord. It is too hard to store information and read through everything. What keeps me here is its the most active PbP site I've found. I really like the aesthetic and some features of Tavern Keeper, but the site is must less active and has a real lack of basic features. The less said about Roll Gate the better lol.
I believe I tried to get involved with Roll Gate and promptly gave up! lol Yes, Tavern Keeper does have some neat features. I played a game on there about a year ago. Thanks for your opinion on this.
Last edited December 10, 2020 4:07 am
Dec 10, 2020 4:09 am
I was invited here to join a friends game. I had never played PBP before. I enjoyed it, got into a couple more games. Enjoyed them.
I found the other players to be very supportive of people learning systems.
I tried one game in Roll Gate and I don't think I will be leaving here again.
Dec 10, 2020 4:12 am
I was on a few different sites that all used crazy formats to get data tables, rolls and other game options. It would take me a half hour to just format a response with my characters picture and a roll. This is super easy out of the gate, lots of games, and great people.
Dec 10, 2020 4:29 am
Machiabelly says:
I was invited here to join a friends game. I had never played PBP before. I enjoyed it, got into a couple more games. Enjoyed them.
I found the other players to be very supportive of people learning systems.
I tried one game in Roll Gate and I don't think I will be leaving here again.
Thanks for sharing that! :)
Dec 10, 2020 4:29 am
Coachthor says:
I was on a few different sites that all used crazy formats to get data tables, rolls and other game options. It would take me a half hour to just format a response with my characters picture and a roll. This is super easy out of the gate, lots of games, and great people.
That's encouraging. It does seem to be quite intuitive. :)
Dec 10, 2020 4:42 am
I don't even know, it was six years ago. I found the link either through Keleth posting on Facebook, or randomly from Twitter back when I still used that. It was my first PBP site, and the others I've looked at seem like massive downgrades from the features I'm used to here.
Dec 10, 2020 5:06 am
There's a fairly large number of active users here compared to other PbP sites I've tried. That's key to running a healthy game, since it means you can always recruit replacement players when someone inevitably has to bow out or (worse) ghosts on you. Having a sizable core of active users also means that even obscure games can get off the ground, which means that, as a GM, it can be an opportunity to run some more esoteric or niche stuff. Finally, the site seems to have a very healthy culture of support and positivity. Since I joined about two years ago, I've only seen one user really challenge this open and welcoming atmosphere by attempting to be edge-lordy, but they quickly learned that the folks here are overwhelmingly committed to making this an open and accepting community.
Dec 10, 2020 5:33 am
I joined four years ago. I found out about it from a podcast; I believe it was Dungeon Master's Block. With the great people here and the variety of games available, I haven't felt the need to check out any other PvP options.
Dec 10, 2020 5:50 am
Honestly, for me its the Layout of the site and how user-friendly it is. So much simpler to just post a game and get running. The only downside is that it doesn't support as many games other sites.
Dec 10, 2020 6:38 am
Community is nice, a good number of active players, games are good, site is pretty easy to use for forum play. Other sites I find are lacking in at least one of those four things.

I found this site a little over a year ago, looking for a place for my friends to play our first game together. It didn't really get off the ground, nor did the hobby stick to them, but I found a good site to play RPGs.

On a side note, I might've liked Rolegate if it weren't for their awful sheets. Have you ever tried to make a custom sheet in Rolegate? Jesus. The blank textbox looks like the genius ruleslite solution by comparison. Like comparing FATAL vs. Lasers and Feelings.

Len

Dec 10, 2020 6:39 am
I've been around since 2016. I came here because after having kids, in-person gaming was growing increasingly difficult to find time for. Found Gamers Plane through the Dungeon Masters' Block podcast and was hooked pretty quick. I've tried other platforms and find Gamer's Plane to be the best. It is a solid platform made by an awesome owner that supports a large, friendly community.
Dec 10, 2020 7:45 am
I've DMed on both. I really don't like Discord.

Firstly, there are more formatting options on GP. This gives more opportunities to tell the story in the way that it is in your head.

Discord
https://i.imgur.com/7DwKakA.png

vs GP
https://i.imgur.com/MO4TeBf.png

Discord gives me what? Bold, italic and short spoilers.

Font sizes let characters shout and whisper. Colours allow you to have multiple characters speaking and show who's speaking.

https://i.imgur.com/6t2Z0tH.png

Fonts can show the language being spoken.

https://i.imgur.com/8UKqxMT.png

Discord is a chat system, and it shows. For a more real-time game? Yeah, I'd use Discord. My PbP isn't chatty. I play PbP for the fuller, more narrative experience. It's different to RPG around a table, and I prefer it.
What's better about Discord?

Discord has push notifications. But I use email notifications - so GP works fine for me.
Setting up private groups is less cryptic and easier on Discord.
I quite like Discord's emoji, so people can indicate when they love a post.

I use GP's 5e character sheet integration. For me, this works better than Avrae (which as a DM, I never got to grips with). Maybe there are character sheet integrations on discord for non-5e systems. Dunno.
Last edited December 10, 2020 8:05 am
Dec 10, 2020 8:06 am
Keleth talking about this site on a podcast was the first time I heard of PBP, so I came here and I just found this page does everything I need. Active and friendly community, a wide variety of games being played, simple but still enough formatting options. I just never felt the need to try out other sites xD
I tried Discord before but I like the forum format better than the chat
Dec 10, 2020 8:22 am
Adam says:
I've DMed on both. I really don't like Discord.

Firstly, there are more formatting options on GP. This gives more opportunities to tell the story in the way that it is in your head.
I had no idea you could do most of that stuff lol. Judging by the chat toolbar, I thought you could only do stuff like bold, italics, and colors. You should write a tutorial on how to beautify posts!
Dec 10, 2020 8:26 am
I'm not allowed to. It's arcane knowledge that has to be passed down from the ancients (Qralloq, I mean Qralloq).
Dec 10, 2020 8:33 am
Cthralloq, the great old one
Dec 10, 2020 8:39 am
Qralloq, make a tutorial of your forbidden knowledge please.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.