Warrior needs food, badly! - Greetings

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 10, 2021 5:29 pm
Greetings!

I received the D&D Basic Set (Moldvay/Cook) one Christmas, long ago. Unfortunately, I never got to play that version as by the time I found a group (people willing to come pick me up, I didn't have a car), they were playing AD&D. BTW, still hope to play the Basic Set (or retro-clone), someday. So I played AD&D a few times with friends in high school. I actually used a character I was playing with in Bard's Tale, which worked out very well.

In March of this year, some thirty-something years after I last played, I joined a virtual group playing D&D 5e sponsored by the local library. A few months after that I started DMing my own game on Roll20. I started this game with the hope of playing with friends that I hadn't seen in a while. After inviting over two hundred friends on Facebook, I received only four replies from people wanting to play. Two dropped out before the game even started, one plays regularly in our game, and one person hasn't played at all, yet. But I am holding open a spot for her. :( I made a LFG post on Reddit and filled the rest of the slots.

My first experience with PBP was on Discord last year playing Savage Worlds. I'm now going to start a PBP game for Facebook friends who didn't have time for a live game, and I'm hoping to play in one here.

I like reading*, listening to music, rpg's, and long walks on the beach as the sun sets. Not really, on that last one.

*Currently reading Malazan Book of the Fallen and it rocks!

I have a question: Is there a way to do a search in the forums? I've looked but can't find anything, although it's quite possible I am overlooking something.
Last edited January 10, 2021 5:30 pm
Jan 10, 2021 5:43 pm
Wow, Malazan Book of the Fallen is so good. I petered out in book 8, but the best fantasy I've ever read.

I did try a D&D Basic game here last year, I think it was Keep on the Borderlands, and there is nothing wrong with the system. Six or so people were playing. So if you look for like minds, who knows what you might find!
Jan 10, 2021 5:44 pm
Welcome, Carb1n!

There's no search function on the forums here unfortunately. But if you're looking for games to join, you should probably focus on the newest ones anyway. If spots open up in an older game, the GMs will usually make a new post or bump their old one to make people aware of it.

If you want to see how GP functions, check out the New GP Member Guide and maybe look through some public games as well.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You might also want to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

Happy gaming!
Last edited January 10, 2021 5:45 pm
Jan 10, 2021 6:29 pm
Hello and welcome! Unfortunately there's no way to search forums, we all just have to explore and/or ask questions to find old treasures, but if you need to search a specific thread check out this browser extension (HERE) made by one of our members, Adam.
Last edited January 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Len

Jan 10, 2021 6:40 pm
Welcome Carb1n!

Bards Tale? Woah. I can still hear those bleep-bloopy midi songs in my mind. I still remember the spell codes (DRBR and DEST took care of a lot battles, PHDO was a lot of fun for exploring, etc). I might have some maps drawn on graph paper still hanging around in a box 🤣 My how games have changed!

Malazan? Yes! That series required me to work hard but paid me back every cent with interest. I tried to do a second read but tapped out a book three. I was amazed about how much I had missed the first time through. I haven't got into the rest of the books that he wrote afterward, and not much of Esselmont's stories that take place in the same world, but maybe I'll have more time on my hands one day.

I am definitely interested in running or playing in a Basic D&D game. I watched a lot of the YouTube channel Questing Beast recently and hunger for the old school emergent storytelling, sandboxy play style. I never played d&d as a kid, i had to play Traveller because of Satan and all. So, I know that style of play, just not in a fantasy setting. Let me know if you run something and I'll notify you if I do.

As Chalrytharendir says, the site's search doesn't work (yet)
Try out that extension if you like!

Look forward to gaming with you one day.
Jan 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Welcome back, Alt3r3d_Carb1n! (Looks like you first made your account two years ago.)

D&D 5e is, naturally, very popular on this site. I see you've made a D&D 5e character and run a 5e game already. Tell us about that experience!

Savage Worlds is a bit of a different story - we've seen a lot of games created and then be abandoned over the past couple of years. So be on guard if you sign up for one. ;)

Welcome, again!
Jan 10, 2021 8:05 pm
Welcome to GP!

While there are a fair share of abandoned games here as on any other similar site, there are Savage Worlds games that do make it to completion, so don't be too discouraged about playing or running one. I ran a Savage World's adventure that made it to the end and I am in one that is still going after 15 months, so it can happen.
Jan 13, 2021 1:12 am
Hello and welcome to GP.

A little like you I cut my teeth on D&D Basic many moons ago after my older brother got it. I am sure you will find a game or two on here, though it may take a couple of tries to find that right group.
Jan 17, 2021 7:50 pm
Moonbeam says:
Welcome back, Alt3r3d_Carb1n! (Looks like you first made your account two years ago.)

D&D 5e is, naturally, very popular on this site. I see you've made a D&D 5e character and run a 5e game already. Tell us about that experience!

Savage Worlds is a bit of a different story - we've seen a lot of games created and then be abandoned over the past couple of years. So be on guard if you sign up for one. ;)

Welcome, again!
Sorry to wander off topic (and welcome Alt3r3d) but does any one/thing keep those stats? What an interesting way to rate games - how often groups that start them, finish them
Last edited January 17, 2021 7:51 pm
Jan 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Quote:
Sorry to wander off topic (and welcome Alt3r3d) but does any one/thing keep those stats? What an interesting way to rate games - how often groups that start them, finish them
I don't think anyone actually keeps those statistics, and they would be hard to gather anyway, since not everyone actually retires games when they're finished and games can be retired without being at a proper end. It would all have to be gathered manually.

Savage Worlds has just unfortunately become a bit infamous here unfortunately...
Though I want to add that not all SW games go that way. I've actually played in and finished an SW one shot on this site!
Last edited January 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Jan 17, 2021 9:48 pm
I tried to start a Starfinder game here, everyone started saying it was "cursed"

I thought that's silly.... but the game never got off the ground.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.