Interest Check: Dungeon Crawl Classics

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 10, 2021 10:22 pm
You are no hero! You are an adventurer, a reaver, a cutpurse, a heathen-slayer, a tight-lipped warlock guarding long-dead secrets. You seek gold and glory, winning it with sword and spell, caked in the blood and filth of the weak, the dark, the demons, and the vanquished. There are treasures to be won deep underneath, and you shall have them...

I have in mind a complete Dungeon Crawl Classics campaign from funnel to finish. If you aren't familiar with DCC, allow me to enlighten you:

You begin as an ordinary peasant, who has had enough and decided to do something about the horrible evil that exists just over the hill. You gather together with like-minded people (up to 24 of them!) and proceed to wreak havoc. However, as you are untrained and unskilled, most of you will probably die. Those few who survive will become adventurers!

DCC is a very easy system to learn. There are six ability scores (Strength, Agility, Stamina, Intelligence, Personality, and Luck) and three saving throws (Fortitude, Reflex, and Will) The core mechanic remains the same as D&D; roll a dice and try to beat a certain number.

You will roll 3d6 and take them as they are rolled in order. You will then generate a random occupation from my master list and go forth to seek your destiny. You will have 1d4 hit points, a weapon appropriate to your profession, and a single item that may or may not come in handy during the adventure. If you survive (and not everyone will, hence everyone starts with four characters), you will advance to 1st level and choose a class.

There is no race in DCC; there are the classes of Cleric, Thief, Warrior, Wizard, Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling. There are only three alignments: Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic. There are no prestige classes, multi-classing, or attacks of opportunity. You will face horrible creatures, the likes of which you have never seen. There will be danger and death will be your constant companion.

If you think that you have what it takes to be an adventurer, sound off below.
Jan 10, 2021 10:42 pm
Oh man I bought the DCC bundle a few months ago. I would be well up for playing
Jan 10, 2021 10:43 pm
Such a good game. I'd be up for it, but I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things on GP, so I will hold off. Good luck!
Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm
I would be game to play this! I've always been curious about it.
Jan 11, 2021 1:16 am
Ha! Four mooks each. Count me in.
Jan 11, 2021 4:14 am
I will play if you'll have me. Seems like fun! Lambs to the slaughter...
Jan 11, 2021 4:37 am
For what it's worth, dominion451 and TheFoxofFinch are both awesome players in the games they play. I run a game with them right now and would definitely accept them in another game if I was running something.
Jan 11, 2021 4:50 am
Wow, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever posted about me online! Well as long as we're trading compliments, funfungiguy is an amazing DM and a fast responder and I would play in ANY of his games in the future!

TheFoxofFinch is definitely a great player, ill second that.

And just to flush out the record here, I'm playing a Conan game with Whtknt as DM right now and the gentleman know how to run a proper dungeon! Just about took my head off with a falling spike panel trap the other day...
Last edited January 11, 2021 4:50 am
Jan 11, 2021 5:05 am
Quote:
Wow, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever posted about me online!
Quiet you!!!
Quote:
And just to flush out the record here, I'm playing a Conan game with Whtknt as DM right now and the gentleman know how to run a proper dungeon! Just about took my head off with a falling spike panel trap the other day...
Oh, I do appreciate a good murder GM.
Jan 11, 2021 5:09 am
Well it looks like you're in luck, cuz this game seems like a 0 level blood bath!
Last edited January 11, 2021 5:09 am
Jan 11, 2021 8:31 pm
If Dom is gonna be in the game, count me in too. We seem to do well together. After all we are Fafhrd and The Gray Mouser. And I've always loved a good dungeon crawl.
Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm
I'm thinking of a farm boy who's family has lived under the yoke of an absentee landowner for far too many years. All of a sudden their home was burned to the ground by a fire that was suspiciously set and which killed both of his parents and his two younger sisters. He swears he will never be poor again or sweat under the knee of another uncaring master.
Jan 11, 2021 8:39 pm
Aldrusian says:
I'm thinking of a farm boy who's family has lived under the yoke of an absentee landowner for far too many years. All of a sudden their home was burned to the ground by a fire that was suspiciously set and which killed both of his parents and his two younger sisters. He swears he will never be poor again or sweat under the knee of another uncaring master.
Remember a few things about the system:

1. You don't determine your background, rolls do (in a basic way it determines your previous occupation)
2. You create 4 characters to start with and then go through a deadly dungeon to see which of the characters survives and you can continue to play beyond level 0

Just saying not to get attached to any concept right off the bat :)
Jan 11, 2021 8:44 pm
Heck yeah! If Aldrusian is in then we got an all-star team here!

Since we're making four meatpops each to start, I was thinking of four brothers who's parents just died and with nothing left to loose they set out in search of their fortune...
Jan 11, 2021 8:46 pm
We're gonna bury the GM in daily posts...
Jan 11, 2021 8:53 pm
Naatkinson says:

1. You don't determine your background, rolls do (in a basic way it determines your previous occupation)
Oh for sure, very randomized char creation "funnel" which the makers seem to take pride in as being a singular type of character design system, but ultimately what's in a job? I don't see occupation as hindering backstory too much, might have to tweak it a bit but no biggie.

Frankly I'm excited to try the system out, it definitely feels unique among simplified dungeon crawlers and I like the tweaks they've come up with for the magic system as well (spell burn, mercurial magic, corruption, etc.)

Even their individualization of class titles and abilities by character alignment seems novel.
Jan 11, 2021 9:04 pm
Okay, the game is up. I will definitely take those five who have already expressed an interest and we'll see who fills out the sixth spot (if anyone).
Jan 11, 2021 9:22 pm
Welp off to my FLGS tonight to pick up a copy of the Quickstart Book...
Jan 11, 2021 10:08 pm
@funfungiguy @dominion451 awww shucks you guys.
Jan 11, 2021 10:08 pm
@funfungiguy @dominion451 awww shucks you guys.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.