Isaret's Black Mantles

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 26, 2021 2:19 am
Welcome to the Black Mantles!

We're a mercenary company, founded by half-ogre Isaret Zoukurk in the waning days of the Last War.

Operating out of the Brelish city of Starilaskur, the Black Mantles accepts recruits from all walks of life (as long as you’re willing to pay your dues and accept the assignments given).

As a Black Mantle, you’ll be sent across the length and breadth of Khorvaire - and beyond.

Danger!

Diplomacy!

Duplicity!

Dinosaurs?

This is the promised prompt for an Acquisitions Incorporated-inspired game, set in Eberron, where player-characters will strike out as agents of the Black Mantles, a mercenary organization unlike any other. Characters will start off already being fairly powerful, in order to be prepared to face the dangers that they’ll face over their tenure.

What should you expect your character to encounter? Well, as implied above, there will be a mix of many different types of scenarios. The team might be hired out for an outright battle; bodyguard duty; to solve a mystery; engage in diplomatic negotiations; and anything in between. Please consider this when weighing your character concept.

Missions that members of the Black Mantles will be assigned will occasionally contain morally ambiguous story beats; it will be up to the PCs to determine the outcome of these scenarios. Individual and group choices can and will have long-term consequences!

I would like the freedom to run this game with a decidedly more mature tone. As a consequence, I will ask that no player under the age of 18 apply to be part of this game, and that characters be created that are at least 18, preferably older (especially if one’s background involves having fought in the Last War in some manner).

As a content warning, the game may depict scenes containing NPCs:
- condoning and/or practicing slavery of other NPCs
- betraying trust of PCs and/or other NPCs (double-crosses, breach of contract, etc.)
- performing mind and/or body control of unwilling NPCs
- forcing body transformations of unwilling NPCs
- contemplating, or comitting, suicide or murder
- undergoing an existential crisis
- partaking in implied scenes of consensual sexual conduct (no explicit scenes will be part of the campaign; this will not be an ERP story)
- committing and/or condoning theft
- coming to a bad end, possibly as a result of PC choices and/or actions (or inaction)

If you are uncomfortable with potentially encountering this kind of content, please do not apply. I can't be held accountable if you become upset if such content is presented during the course of the campaign; you’ve been warned...

Please note that I have a rather specific set of game rules, house rules, and character creation guidelines, which you’ll see when you apply to the game listing and navigate to the campaign on Beyond. I’ve been running games on many different systems, in-person and via PbP, and have a pretty good idea of what works and what I’d like to see a game do. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask me before committing to the game.

My GM style: I firmly believe that tabletop games are a collaborative endeavour, not competitive. My role as the GM is to deliver setting and story information to the players, help them decide what they can do in a given situation, and adjudicate the rules into the setting. I am more in the camp of RAI than RAW. We’re here to have fun and create memorable stories together.

Lore note: I was first exposed to Eberron when I joined a 5e game set there in 2015, after an extended absence from tabletop gaming. I took to the setting almost immediately; it’s become my default campaign setting. However, between a demanding job and a toddler at home, I haven’t had a lot of time to dig into the deep lore, so if I make a mistake, mea cupla, I will learn and do better.

With all of that said: IF you're still reading, please do apply. I hope to make this a D&D game unlike others you may have played before.

I will be creating the game listing shortly. Preference will be given to those who expressed early interest in my previous thread.
Last edited January 26, 2021 3:10 am
Jan 26, 2021 2:59 am
I'd like to apply.
Jan 26, 2021 3:43 am
My body is ready. I’m pumped for this.
Jan 26, 2021 4:46 am
I'm all ready as well..:)
Jan 26, 2021 5:08 am
I'm still very interested and have applied to the game

I really appreciate the 18+ requirements and the list of possible... Do I dare say triggers
Last edited January 26, 2021 5:12 am
Jan 26, 2021 5:16 am
This looks like a lot of fun.
Jan 26, 2021 7:24 am
I've applied, although I believe there were probably six ahead of me in the queue
Jan 26, 2021 7:50 am
Hey, I would be interested and applied too, although I see there are plenty before me :)
Jan 26, 2021 9:19 am
*Mugs the guy in front and takes his shape*
Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm
As already stated in the "interest check" previous thread, I am more than interested, as I love Eberron and this game looks awesome. :-)
Jan 26, 2021 1:20 pm
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your interest! I have more than enough sign-ups; too many, in fact. I feel badly for having to turn some away.

As stated in the interest-check thread, if I find that this concept is working well in a PbP format, I will give consideration to opening a parallel game, in which case those "further down the list" will be given preference then.

Again, thank you so much for your excitement and interest!
Jan 29, 2021 6:36 pm
Given any more thought to a second game? I'm interested.
Feb 5, 2021 3:55 pm
JoshuaMabry says:
Given any more thought to a second game? I'm interested.
Not yet but will advise if/when it happens, in this thread.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.