XP Award Tracking

Apr 19, 2016 11:25 pm
Overall, I think I've awarded the following XP:

October XX, 2015 - base 10 XP
November 12, 2015 - base 10 XP (dagger got a bonus for being super in character)
January 28, 2016 - base 20 XP (heyop got a bonus for being Forcey)

I've been thinking and I find this progression a little slow for me. I realize that a 'session' is intended to be the basic unit, but that's difficult to translate in PbP. I don't want to turn this into necessarily a free and easy ride -- but I think I'd like to adjust how I approach XP awards, because a significant part of the story in this is the growth of your characters.

As a result, my plan will be to award 10XP each month (we'll say on the first).

Additionally I'd like feedback on the following:

- award 5 XP per month to whom you collectively feel made did well over the past month in roleplaying their character/storytelling.
- award 5 XP per month based on the character playing to motivation and morality best (again I could seek your feedback here)

If you accomplish a major objective mid-month I may give another bonus round of XP to you all.

Thoughts?
Apr 20, 2016 2:26 am
Personally ten a month seems incredibly slow, but I'm also thinking in context of like a weekly or biweekly in person session group, which I know PbP is not. So I'll defer to a group concensous on how normal that seems.
Apr 20, 2016 4:28 am
For a face to face game, I completely agree. That number would possible be 4-8 times higher face to face depending on the season frequency and the scope of adventure. Also looking historically it's been almost six months and so far I've only awarded 40 XP which feels way too slow.

I'd be ok tweaking the number up if we felt like progression was too slow. But this model I think raises the average XP gain over what I've been doing by 50% -- and probably more as you guys will get additional XP for milestones.

I was also thinking that the bonus XP categories would have to apply to two different characters.
Apr 20, 2016 9:58 am
I'm definitely up for trying it. I could finally get my multi class abilities started. :)
Apr 20, 2016 12:50 pm
I'm okay with slow progression and advancement but I'm not digging my feet in on XP, I having a general idea of what I want to try and advance but I think I enjoy the banter and whatnot more than beating the big bads in games now... For example I'm curious what the EotE Game will be the outcome of our actual story and if it will end up like all the ad lib stories of previous jobs we've had. Kind of a success but hilarious from a third party point of view.
Apr 20, 2016 4:00 pm
My sense is that it's hard to have your characters grow and explore the Force if they can barely remember how to spell it because of a lack of power(s), talent(s) or skill(s). I don't need a bunch of Annakin Skywalkers -- but I think it'd be nice if you guys were passable C-list Jedi instead of F-list ones. :)

I could also get you into way more interesting trouble, I think.
Apr 20, 2016 4:25 pm
I don't think Star Wars Iconic and the Jedi equivalent of can't shoot stormtroopers #3892 - 3897 are the two ranges we'd be at, our group is a very different kind of slice for what 'Jedi' are probably like canon. That's a good thing.

Well if you want interesting... Phantom once we're out of the current plot death trap/trial if we get someplace with a lot of electronics... press all the buttons! Twice!
Apr 20, 2016 11:36 pm
Okee dokee. Let's do the April award now. We'll skip bonus XP 'til the next award 5/1.

10 XP to each of you.
Apr 21, 2016 3:01 am
10 POINTS TO GRIFFINDOR!
Apr 21, 2016 3:03 am
Remnant says:
I don't think Star Wars Iconic and the Jedi equivalent of can't shoot stormtroopers #3892 - 3897 are the two ranges we'd be at, our group is a very different kind of slice for what 'Jedi' are probably like canon. That's a good thing.

Well if you want interesting... Phantom once we're out of the current plot death trap/trial if we get someplace with a lot of electronics... press all the buttons! Twice!
It worked once, I literally spooked a person into falling off a bridge. He fell OFF a BRIDGE.
Apr 21, 2016 8:46 pm
@falryx: Previously, I spent 10 xp to purchase the Ace specialization. Since I am playing a pilot in our EotE game, I was thinking about taking that back and spending my XP differently.

Are you ok with that as a GM?

To the group: how do the rest of you feel about not having a pilot specialized character?
Apr 21, 2016 8:58 pm
I think 10 xp a month makes sense. PbP games move much more slowly than face to face games, and the standard award (I think) is 40 xp per session to each player. That assumes a 4-6 hour session with multiple encounters. Since I've joined, I feel like we've done perhaps one session's worth of game play.

Also on the subject of the bonus XP: Playing to Ambition and Morality is at least partially plot dependent. Urik's Ambition was Revenge, but the subject of that revenge is dead. His Morality is on the Compassion/Hatred spectrum, and until now there haven't been any opportunities to play that out.

In general, I am against individual XP rewards. It feels like a nice boon the players that get them, but can feel like a slight to those who don't. I've developed that opinion based on my experiences on both sides of the GM screen. As a GM, I prefer to make a group bonus if the group roleplays well together, comes up with interesting solutions to problems, stays in character for the most part, etc.

That being said, this is your game falryx, and I'll play along if that's how you want to run things. Just throwing out my 2 cents.
Apr 26, 2016 9:58 pm
Dagger - 20 XP (bonus: basic 'Move' Force power).
Apr 27, 2016 5:56 am
Urik - 20 XP (bonus: basic 'Move' force power)
Apr 28, 2016 2:14 am
Csillag - 20 XP (bonus: basic 'Move' force power)
Apr 29, 2016 6:29 pm
Heyop - 20XP (bonus: basic 'Move' force power).

Kaveri will have these rewards should she return.
May 1, 2016 1:56 pm
May 1,

+10 XP all players.
May 4, 2016 2:23 pm
May the 4th be with you.

5 XP to everyone.

Happy Star Wars day!
May 4, 2016 4:06 pm
Huzzah! Holiday points!
May 4, 2016 11:04 pm
Csillag has 60XP saved up at this point. Time to do some shopping.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.