Games you like but no one else plays?

load previous
Feb 23, 2021 6:21 am
Most people who play Star Fleet Battles online play at the SFB Online website as it is designed to support the game with all the needed materials, SSDs, rules, and maps handy to do so. It would be far more difficult, and likely fun sapping, to play elsewhere.
Feb 23, 2021 6:37 am
legend of the 5 rings is a favorite of mine, but online groups, while they exist, are few and far betwen.
Feb 23, 2021 3:08 pm
Viking1031 says:
Speaking of games I like that I do not see here is Battletech.
High pitched squee
optimumsquare says:
legend of the 5 rings is a favorite of mine, but online groups, while they exist, are few and far betwen.
There are some dedicated fans here. A number of games have played, but none recently (other than a duet I'm running).
Last edited February 23, 2021 3:16 pm
Feb 23, 2021 4:04 pm
It always seems like the Cypher System and GURPS get bad PR from a lot of people
Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm
Aegis says:
It always seems like the Cypher System and GURPS get bad PR from a lot of people
I'm running two games of Numenera on here now, which is Cypher. I have only seen one game of GURPS on here though I think.
Feb 23, 2021 4:44 pm
I have always been enamored with Fading Suns. I have run a few short games, but it also seems a little overwhelming considering the setting is quite expansive. Earthdawn is also a great setting I've only been able to run a few shorts in. Also I would like to see more Mythras games being played as well as more AGE based games like Fantasy Age, Expanse, Titan's Grave and the new Lazarus and Three Fold - all AGE based settings.

Fading Suns
Earthdawn
Mythras
Feb 23, 2021 7:50 pm
I'm in a Cyper game (The Strange) but our GM does not have as much time as he wish he had.

I would love to crack open my Dresden FATE accelerated book, as I think Fate would lend itself well to pbp, but I don't feel FATE-skilled enough to run a game.
Feb 23, 2021 8:50 pm
Fate runs wonderfully in PbP play, in my experience. Big fan.
Feb 23, 2021 9:09 pm
Plus GP supports FATE dice
Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm
Isn't all the meta discussion and back and forth a bit taxing for the momentum of the game ?
Last edited February 23, 2021 9:24 pm
Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm
There is no perfect system. After analysis, FATE it is a decent choice for narrative focused players who like to write in play by post and want to feel like they are making a collaborative story. But those who like to game and see action results will be disappointed.
Feb 23, 2021 9:55 pm
Fate can bog down a little if people are messing with Fate Points on every roll, yes, but there are ways to mitigate that, including stating up front what you’re willing to spend, the GM setting clear stakes and difficulties before the roll, etc. For me, the back and forth can be minimized and is worth it for the rich narrative results you get from the mechanics. Having said that, I’ve been porting some of my favorite DNA from Fate and various PbtA games to some lighter platforms with success. I very much dig minimalist systems these days, and while my love for Fate runs deep (and all the way back to Fudge), I -do- find myself preferring lighter mechanics for PbP play lately.
Feb 23, 2021 11:36 pm
runekyndig says:
I'm in a Cyper game (The Strange) but our GM does not have as much time as he wish he had.

I would love to crack open my Dresden FATE accelerated book, as I think Fate would lend itself well to pbp, but I don't feel FATE-skilled enough to run a game.
Love FATE. I've run quite a few games on another platform. Works well whether you're into heavy role-play, heavy-action, or something in between. The thing about FATE is you can set the dials where you want them and get the results you want. Admittedly it takes a little experience like any game, but it works for all things.

Where I see problems is when a GM doesn't have enough experience with the system and it starts to break down where the expectations were either high, but needed additional planning, or different than what they had in mind when they started.

Dresden Fate is a wonderful experience when done right. Again, I would mention the amount of work a GM has to put into it is not so simple a thing - at least that's my experience; however, I am not, by any means, an authority on the game.
Feb 23, 2021 11:44 pm
Harrigan says:
Fate can bog down a little if people are messing with Fate Points on every roll, yes, but there are ways to mitigate that, including stating up front what you’re willing to spend, the GM setting clear stakes and difficulties before the roll, etc. For me, the back and forth can be minimized and is worth it for the rich narrative results you get from the mechanics. Having said that, I’ve been porting some of my favorite DNA from Fate and various PbtA games to some lighter platforms with success. I very much dig minimalist systems these days, and while my love for Fate runs deep (and all the way back to Fudge), I -do- find myself preferring lighter mechanics for PbP play lately.
I agree Harrigan, there are different approaches to running FATE points. I recommend System Toolkit and FATE Codex to anyone invested in FATE as your mainstay. They illustrate different ways of manipulating the system that make sense, are usually fairly easy to use and allow you the freedom to create the games you like most. Just saying. They've helped me see things differently, it might help someone else.
Feb 24, 2021 5:16 am
Hey umbral! Fancy seeing you here. =]

Agree that the System Toolkit is a great book, the Codices are cool... and I think the Book of Hanz is actually being kickstarted right about... meow. It's a great resource for people new to the system for sure. But enough about Fate! This is games we like that on one plays, so let's add a new one to the list: Operation White Box, the WWII commandos game based on S&W White Box.
Feb 24, 2021 8:01 am
One game, I regret never getting to play with is an RPG called HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone. It was basically Greek style mythic fantasy turned into sci fi and played out across the stars.
Feb 26, 2021 8:39 pm
Yeah. Hellas seemed hella cool. Never got around to playing it either. But the book was dope and I like the company who put it out.
Feb 26, 2021 8:52 pm
Qralloq says:
Viking1031 says:
High pitched squee
optimumsquare says:
There are some dedicated fans here. A number of games have played, but none recently (other than a duet I'm running).
I still plan to fire up a L5R 5e game on here again at some point but I'm still busy juggling a lot of real life stuff at the moment.

I might be tempted to run one of the pre-written scenarios FFG put out at some point if there's enough interest.
Feb 26, 2021 8:56 pm
I really enjoyed the L5R game you ran on here a long time ago. That was pretty neat. Plus, I got to win the tournament or something
Feb 26, 2021 9:32 pm
mcneils5 says:
Qralloq says:
Viking1031 says:
High pitched squee
optimumsquare says:
I still plan to fire up a L5R 5e game on here again at some point but I'm still busy juggling a lot of real life stuff at the moment.

I might be tempted to run one of the pre-written scenarios FFG put out at some point if there's enough interest.
I would confirm interest. I am not well versed in the differences between FFG L5R and FFG Star Wars but I have heard they are similar in terms of how rolling works?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.