Games you like but no one else plays?

load previous
Mar 31, 2022 12:05 pm
The_Vagrant says:
I've thoroughly enjoyed Kamigakari for the nine session I ran it to my friends, but after that we switched systems and I never touched it again. Never saw anyone talking about it either, which is a shame, such a great system.
Never even heard of this game lol. What's the pitch?
Mar 31, 2022 1:28 pm
nezzeraj says:
The_Vagrant says:
I've thoroughly enjoyed Kamigakari for the nine session I ran it to my friends, but after that we switched systems and I never touched it again. Never saw anyone talking about it either, which is a shame, such a great system.
Never even heard of this game lol. What's the pitch?
I looked it up. Interesting.

Kamigakari: God Hunters on Kickstarter
Mar 31, 2022 2:50 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

I looked it up. Interesting.
Kamigakari: God Hunters on Kickstarter
Definitely not my style but thanks for the info!
Jun 10, 2022 3:56 pm
I like the original Alternity game. The new one is okay, but I don't like that they dropped the unique mechanics that the original used. I also enjoy a rousing session of Gamma World (yeah, I know, I'm a grognard).
Jun 10, 2022 8:37 pm
Until recently, I would have named Old School Hack ... thank you GamersPlane! :D

Another one is The Black Hack 1e SRD. Very simple, which I like a lot.
Jun 10, 2022 10:10 pm
Castle Faulkenstein, one of the most beautiful rpg books I ever read.
Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm
Warrior Rogue and Mage
Jun 10, 2022 10:21 pm
Adventure Conqueror King
Jun 11, 2022 12:24 am
Valdus says:
Castle Faulkenstein, one of the most beautiful rpg books I ever read.
Oh man, it's been a hot minute since I've heard that name mentioned! It was steampunk before it became big. I remember playing in a game ran by a German guy going to college nearby where I was living back in the 90's. It was a LOT of wacky, historical-ish fun.
WhtKnt says:
I like the original Alternity game. The new one is okay, but I don't like that they dropped the unique mechanics that the original used. I also enjoy a rousing session of Gamma World (yeah, I know, I'm a grognard).
Alternity was a good genre-spanning set of mechanics or was that Amazing Engine?? I really enjoyed the first edition of GammaWorld. It was so uniquely weird and surreal. Definitely a touchstone for super old school gaming of the late 80's.
Jun 11, 2022 12:43 am
Legacy life aming the ruin
love how they have family separate from character and zoomout mechanic
Last edited June 11, 2022 12:46 am
Jun 11, 2022 12:45 am
The_Vagrant says:
Haha I enjoy that too. As for anime fan but combat take too long for me (I'm more like rule lite type of people)
Jun 11, 2022 12:46 am
Two dream projects I have had in my head. First is a combination of De Profundis and Ars Magica- where sorcerers write about their trials and adventures to each other.

Another is a strange Star Trek Sim (don't look at me like that). As the GM, the captain writes a first person log and the other members of the crew spin off on that Captain's Log. It always irked me that Star Trek episodes start off with "Captain's Log..." and Sims are written in the third person.

So ST Sim in the first person via crew logs (IC?).
Jun 11, 2022 1:10 am
Valdus says:
Adventure Conqueror King
This sounds like my speed what is it?

Core mechanics wise I mean. I like really simple things that can support complex ideas.

I like WR&M when people exploit the warrior and rogue rules. And how magic is far more subtlety articulated. Combat becomes less about dropping the enemies HP to 0 and more about thinking about how to turn the advantage in your favor. When everyone has 10-25hp of armor on them and armor mitigates damage it makes combat more interesting.

Especially if the other guys also have magic.
Last edited June 11, 2022 1:15 am
Jun 11, 2022 2:38 am
This d20 Go I just got today has some promise, I must say. One Roll Engine mechanic sorta.
Jun 11, 2022 2:58 am
Valdus says:
Two dream projects I have had in my head. First is a combination of De Profundis and Ars Magica- where sorcerers write about their trials and adventures to each other.
I don't know either ruleset but have heard of the games (and I was planning on getting to Ars Magica at some point in my long list of games to try). The idea sounds like loads of fun
Last edited June 11, 2022 2:59 am
Jun 11, 2022 3:09 am
I've been interested in trying out Spellbound Kingdoms ever since I discovered it, but my old group that tried multiple systems imploded and my new group is full of Critical Role disciples who tell me "you can run that in 5e" every time I mention trying a different system, so...
Jun 11, 2022 3:35 am
thetaodaddy says:
I've been interested in trying out Spellbound Kingdoms ever since I discovered it, but my old group that tried multiple systems imploded and my new group is full of Critical Role disciples who tell me "you can run that in 5e" every time I mention trying a different system, so...
This system seems way too convoluted for my tastes, but definitely original and not something I'd ever run using 5e lol. Its so frustrating thinking one rules system can simulate every game experience.
Jun 11, 2022 6:31 am
I've forever have been a fan of the lore, the setting, and the general shenanigans that happens from any game of Exalted. I really love 3rd Edition's changes to combat and the restructuring of everything overall...but my group is just not one for reading big, thick books full of fluff and mechanics. I've even offered to run it but I refuse to handhold every player when I have to deal with the general insanity any usual Circle can bring to the group.
Jun 11, 2022 7:52 am
Palladium's Heroes Unlimited. I know Palladium Systems is just... absolutely loaded down with cruft, but it's got a certain nostalgia to it for me.
Jun 11, 2022 8:23 am
I am currently running for a friend an obscure 1990s game called Pandemonium! Adventures in Tabloid World, it is a total blast so far, with minimal rules.
PCs are reporters for a tabloid called Weekly Weird News.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.