Interest Check: OSR

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am
I haven't played any, but read several of them.
To me, it's an answer to the almost overwhelming influence of games like the recent edition of D&D or PF. Games where the main course is combat-as-sport, with a hard to maintain but much needed balance.
OSR and Pbta games are doing almost the same thing, but are coming from completely different angles. And I love them both!
But they both have a mechanically light, fiction first philosophy with a focus on player agency.

I love roguelikes, and OSR games are basically pen&paper roguelikes with more possibilities (especially RP-wise). Here is a huge reactive world, these are the basics rules, take some random stuff, think before you act (the light rules open a huge negative space), stupidity or greed will probably kill you, try not to die.

But I may be wrong, and that's why I would like to play a few. Plus, they seem quite suited to PbF.
Last edited February 25, 2021 11:52 am
Feb 25, 2021 11:53 pm
Alrighty everyone -- thanks for the interest here and the additional details shared. I've refined my thinking a bit on what I actually want to run for my first game on GP, and it's something simpler than Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, which is the game most folks who chimed in on the thread pointed to. If you're interested is a more streamlined, down and dirty OSR experience, be on the lookout for a recruiting post shortly for a Knave game...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.